Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
"I wish that I knew all I know now...but when I was younger..." from Ooh La La by The Faces

So tell me...

If you were opening up CCE for the first time knowing everything you know now about it...what would you do to make your gaming experience with it better?

Specifically...

What did you jump into too quickly? Too slowly? What tidbits of information did you gloss over that changed how you played the game (aside from the unavoidable rules oversights covered in another thread already).

How would you get the most from CCE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that I'd do anything differently, really. Although rules aren't your focus, the rules are clean and allowed pretty easy access into the game ... at least once I'd set up and run through most of the extended example of play in the playbook. It helped having a more experienced player as an opponent the first games. The first scenario in the playbook didn't prove all that exciting for us, as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Probably the efficient use of leaders.

Also, the balance of fire and maneuver, and how to combine or divide firepower for the greatest effectiveness.

Scenario 1 is a lot deeper than people credit it. Both sides have puzzles to work out in their setups and what their first moves will look like. The Soviets, in particular, can lose the game with a poor setup and poor movement choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have thrown out the plastic mushroom clouds and optional rules for tactical nukes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I like to suggest to folks when playing a new wargame is don't try and read the rules all at once in one sitting. Wargame rules are not exactly easy reading. What I do is when I get a new game is I sit the rulebook on my bedside table. For about a week I pick them up and read them for 5 or 10 minutes before I go to sleep. In about a week you'll have a pretty good understanding of the game or at least a working knowledge to the point that you can sit down and play a first game without being completely lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks so far fellas... Tactical nukes...nice

A little more info. I'm a former ASL player, and avid wargamer (ATS, etc.) so I'm not intimidated by the rules at all or anything like that.

I'm more concerned with how folks have stored it, what they did with their cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved my cards and stored them in ziplock bags.

I used three counter trays to store the counters for CC:E. One tray for each country, and some of left over space in two of the trays for the other markers.

I put the charts in sheet protectors.

I created two collapsable half-boxes for chit pulling. They flatten and fit in the box when not in use.

I created my own immobilized Sherman tank counter for that one scenario that includes it. So now my game has a tank in it. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/23740

Oh yeah, and I keep a piece of thread in the box for LOS checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In CC:E, one of the first things you see in the gray box (which the rules have just told you are important) is "To play your first game, you need only read the Compontents, Core Rules and Order sections that follow, as well as rule A33 concerning Opportunity Fire. Then set up the Example of Play..."

I thought that was a great way to get you to learn the basics and get a feel for the game, without having to memorize 23 pages of rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
Thanks so far fellas... Tactical nukes...nice

A little more info. I'm a former ASL player, and avid wargamer (ATS, etc.) so I'm not intimidated by the rules at all or anything like that.

I'm more concerned with how folks have stored it, what they did with their cards, etc.

I use two counter trays from GMT (half tray / country plus half tray for general markers). I use the tuck boxes available on this site for storing the cards. If you do this, everything fits back into the original box with room for one battle pack too (but not two - a tad too tall with all the maps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
In CC:E, one of the first things you see in the gray box (which the rules have just told you are important) is "To play your first game, you need only read the Compontents, Core Rules and Order sections that follow, as well as rule A33 concerning Opportunity Fire. Then set up the Example of Play..."

I thought that was a great way to get you to learn the basics and get a feel for the game, without having to memorize 23 pages of rules.

Yeah that caught my eye as well. I will definitely do that based on your recommendation. Thanks for validation that the programmed instruction component works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude,

If you've played ASL, then here's how you start CC:E

Read the rules, set up the game and play, all within an hour. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah the rules seem pretty basic. I am loving the draw pile mechanic for handling everything from dice to random events, etc. Very clever implementation.

ASL had some nice tricks though... For example, printing out the nationality cheat sheets from Repetti's site and paring down Fighting Withdrawal to fewer units on the first play through.

Looking through the images there are a ton of great tuck boxes, etc.

Card sleeves vs no sleeves?

Anyone laminated their maps? Vasel mentioned that they might tear through repeated use. If so where did you do it? I can't find any copying services with the capacity to handle the copy of maps the size of CC so I don't have to laminate the originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
medlinke wrote:
Anyone laminated their maps?

Nope....just purchased an artist's portfolio case and store the maps unfolded (and flat) in that. If I don't fold/unfold the creases it shouldn't wear out. I also play under plexiglass all the time. The Map, Tracks, etc all fit nice in the footprint of a single mapper (22"x34").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeve the cards. They get handled A LOT. Good stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've used Plexi with my ATS stuff and it's worked well, I just wasn't sure if people were laminating at all. I'm kind of interested in that option, but I already own the plexi so that's much cheaper.

I will now definitely pick up the card sleeves though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
medlinke wrote:
Anyone laminated their maps?

Nope....just purchased an artist's portfolio case and store the maps unfolded (and flat) in that. If I don't fold/unfold the creases it shouldn't wear out. I also play under plexiglass all the time. The Map, Tracks, etc all fit nice in the footprint of a single mapper (22"x34").

Speaking of plexiglass, do others use a similar sized sheet (22x34)? What about thickness... what do you recommend?

I'd like to buy a sheet that will work well with both Combat Commander and Command and Colors: Ancients, and that holds potential for use with other games too.

I'd appreciate suggestions for dimensions that you've found work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I actually bought one from Lowe's Home Improvement and never had it cut or anything. I think it's around 24" x 32" or there abouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
I actually bought one from Lowe's Home Improvement and never had it cut or anything. I think it's around 24" x 32" or there abouts.

Second. That's exactly what I have as well. They have bigger sheets, and they will do straight cuts for you if you would like to get smaller ones from the larger sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.