Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not what I would call a "casual" gamer, but it's also not the only thing that I do with my free time. I, like most people who read this site, first turned here on a whim, researching a game I wished to purchase, Puerto Rico in fact. But I've been reading reviews here for over a year, and decided it was time that I started reviewing the games in my collection.

I am a 20 year old college Junior, with several good friends and roommates that forms my playing base. While that information may seem unnecessary, I like to know where people are coming from when I read a review from them, so there's a little information about me for you readers.

I own many board games, honestly, my board game collection is one of my most expensive things that I own. I find learning the new strategies and rules behind a game, not only exhilarating, but extremely fun and challenging.

My gateway game was The Settler of Catan, and it led me down the road to my love affair with Euro games. I now have a collection of mostly Euro games, although there are some select war games that are included.

So that's me,

And now, a lighter, very addicting, and hilarious game, Galaxy Trucker.

For those who read my posts regularly, you’ll notice that Galaxy Trucker is quite different from my usual style, actually quite light with less strategy involved than usual style. But I really enjoy this game. Around my harder game friends, it’s like the kiddie ride you find at K-mart, you know it’s fun, you just don’t want your friends to know you’re doing it.

1. The Components
The components that come with the game are of a good quality. The tiles have some nice art, and the plastic components are neat. The aliens and crew which you use to pilot your ship are neat, and my personal favorite are the battery components. Although a definitely tempting looking component when you are hungry, they are clear green and look like lime green tic-tacs. And being a good game, it of course comes with wooden cubes! I must say that I probably own a literal legion of wooden cubes divided among the games that I own. Honestly probably more than that. My favorite component is by far the rulebook. The rulebook is simply just hilarious, it has little sections completely dedicated to jokes. While I was reading the rules, I kept laughing and my friends kept asking, “What?,” which I’m sure annoyed them but I loved it.

2. The Theme
This game has a great theme. You start each of three rounds by building a ship, and while I usually view tile laying games as a little abstract for my taste, this one definitely hits home for me and scores big time. As we drew the adventure cards, our table was getting banged, curse words were being said, and laughter was definitely going on. Out of the 5 games that we’ve played, I’ve only won one. However, I almost enjoyed seeming my ship torn to pieces than I did enjoy it surviving completely. The adventure cards definitely fit the theme.

3. The Concept
The goal of the game is simply to acquire the most money by shipping goods, arriving in time, and bonuses gained along the way. Each round you build a ship on a pre-built card, then fly your ship around the galaxy attempting to earn the most money. There are adventure cards that are drawn, that will either earn money, allow you to collect cargo, dodge meteor storms, fight slavers and pirates, and other various space like adventures.

4. The Ending
The game gets progressively harder as each round progresses. Luckily, your ships get larger and more sophisticated, hopefully at least, with each round. The end round really is very long compared to the other rounds, and quite hard to make it through with a completely intact ship. To be honest, the amount of money you make didn’t matter to any of us as we sat and played our 5 games. We only cared about how much fun we were having watching each others ships get annihilated.

5. The Game play
I first off, love the fact that you need to hurry to build your ship. You draw tiles and need to finish your ship as fast as you can if you want to get a good board position. The first player to finish their ship each round starts off in first, second in second, and so on, and so on. Then you draw a set number of adventure cards to determine the good and bad things that happen to your group. My one complaint would be that the first player seems to get a very unfair advantage. Although I’ve heard of a variant that seems to balance it out quite a bit.

6. Replayability
This game takes around an hour to play, and around ten minutes to learn. We sat and played 5 games in a row. Any game that is fun enough to make you play 5 games in a row has great replayability in my opinion. That really is the best praise I could give this game in this department.

7. The "Luck" Factor
Here’s where those who know my play style will probably be surprised. I usually hate luck based games, but I had a self-realization while playing this game. I don’t hate luck based games, I hate where luck benefits one player over the other. This game has almost everything happen to all players on the same region. To be honest the combat zones can be very, very rough, but the rest of the cards, even if they tear your ship in half, are still fun and enjoyable. This is not a game that you play to showcase your skills as a gamer, it’s simply a fun experience that is a great change of pace.

Conclusions:
To be honest, I bought this game on a whim, and I was glad that I did. It was a fun change of pace for the reasons that I already discussed. Plus, there’s not a lot of games that you can look over and say to your friend, “Let’s play Galaxy Trucker, Mother F*****.”

Please include any thoughts about the review,

and as always, Thank you for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. I also like this game.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to being in the lead. And the person who finishes their ship gets the reward of finishing. The disadvantage is if you didn't build your ship well, you are first to get pummeled by pirates smugglers etc. I like how this system works.

And don't underestimate the skill in being able to build quickly and build a solid ship at the same time. I'd say I have a 60 to 70% win percentage in this game.

When you get good at the game consider the expansion, it jumps up the game difficulty by 300%!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingmar Hauge
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
It's cold outside. There's no kind of atmosphere. I'm all alone. More or less. Let me fly. Far away from here. Fun fun fun. In the sun sun sun...
badge
Darn, I'm Dwayne Dibbley again....
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! thumbsup
You've absolutely nailed my feelings on this one with your review, all the way to the bought on whim part. My rating for GT has gone from 8 to 9 and currently sits at 10. I realized that any game I loose at on a regular basis and still have a blast playing it just had to be given a 10.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
On a regular basis = Every bloody time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about a player having 'a personal style' per se. I play Chess, Connect 4, Combat Commander, Cornerstone and Galaxy Trucker all with equal enthusiasm. Sometimes you want cheesecake, sometime you want a burrito. There are definitely certain games and types of games I shy away from though.

Fun review to read, thanks. I've played GT a bunch (it's one of my favorites) and the expansion is a worthwhile addition. It goes from 'light and fun' to a 2hr exhausting brain burner.

I don't know how much luck plays into GT because in my game group, there is a guy who has won (convincingly) about 20 games in a row. In fact he has never lost.

Games are best when the better player almost always wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I agree. Planning has a lot to do with how well you do in this game, but, there have been times where my ship has one weak spot, and I've gotten nailed there, when the person next to me had about six, and none of them were destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.