Now known as; YearoftheCat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Alright so I've been toying with idea for the last few days. It's a Cylon Fleet Card, with a little twist and some special (but not too complicated) rules.

"Scar"
-Activate Present Raiders
-Cylon Deployment: 2 Raiders off the Fore, 2 each off the Starboard and Port Quarters. (That's 9, 1, and 5 o'clock in case you don't speak "Boat")
-Colonial Deployment: 2 Vipers and 1 Civilian Ship off the Port Bow.
-Special Rules: Keep this Card in play until "Scar" is destroyed.
-If Scar is not Revealed; Whenever a Raider makes an attack on a Unmanned Viper, that Viper is damaged on a roll of 4-6, and destroyed on a 7-8. If the Raider hits, place the "Scar" Marker under it.
-"Scar" follows the following Activation rules;
*Scar Activates Twice each time Raiders are Activated. This means Scar will make two attacks, or Attack and Jump-Scar never moves.
1) If No Vipers/Civilian Ships are in the same sector with "Scar" remove the raider and "Scar" marker from the board - "Scar" has jumped away, and is no longer Revealed.
2) Attack Unmanned Viper
3) Attack Piloted Viper
4) Attack Civilian Ship

-If "Scar" is Destroyed, Increase Morale by 1
-Scar damages Vipers on a roll of 4-6, and Destroys them on a 7-8.
-Scar is destroyed on an unmodified 5-8 (Strategic Planning Can't be used)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Re: "Scar" Cylon Fleet Crisis idea. (Season 2 spoiler. Bewarned)
The Intent here is to give Pilots something to do, Basically it won't be safe to leave your Rook pilots out in space by themselves, they need a wingman, and so do you. This crisis basically makes Scar "Hit and Run" unless another Viper is in the Sector to engage "him", Oh right.. I forgot to post this but Destroying Scar gives the humans +1 Morale. I'll edit it in.

If any of you are Photoshop Savvy, feel free to make this card, just share the credit with me ;) I'll probably pick out one of the Cylon Fleet cards in my deck and use it as a Proxy for this until I make up a playable copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm, I'm thinking maybe 8 Raiders is too many to deploy on one card. Should I tone it down to 2 off the Forward Bow? Probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's no vipers then does that raider just not move? Or does it revert to a normal raider before doing its activation?

I like the idea of having a scar variant, and your thing seems to fit thematically with the hit and run stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
If there are no Vipers in its little corner of space, it reverts to a normal Raider, and that's its activation (because it started the turn as Scar, and that's how Scar activates under those conditions)

Thanks :) I like that the humans can Ignore it, if they dare, but it will put unmanned Vipers at greater danger until someone gets in a Viper to hunt Scar down, or Commands some Vipers to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I Guess Maybe instead of removing the Scar marker from the raider when it 'hides' I could have the card remove the whole Raider, sort of a "Consolation" prize "Good news! one less Raider on the board, Bad news, one more damaged/destroyed Viper in the shop!" Plus this would actually be more accurate, Scars jumping out of there before someone shows up to shoot 'him' down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty sweet. My only suggestions are that, I agree with you about there being too many raiders set up right now. I'd drop it to 6 like you said, (or maybe even 4-5 total? Fits more with the guerilla style tactics, but maybe makes it too weak?) And then I would also change the to hit viper chart to 'Vipers damaged on a 4-6, destroyed on a 7-8'. Especially since the humans can get a morale out of it, there should be a higher risk imo.

great concept though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would prefer unmanned vipers damaged on 3-6, destroyed 7-8.

The +1 Morale (with an "e", by the way) is a rather big bonus relative to occasionally increasing the chances of an unmanned viper to be hit by 12.5%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
azuredarkness wrote:

The +1 Morale (with an "e", by the way) is a rather big bonus relative to occasionally increasing the chances of an unmanned viper to be hit by 12.5%.

Thanks-Fixed. As for if +1 Morale is too much, you might be right, but it's always hard to say without actual playtesting to go off of so I figured it might be a good starting point. Morale is the easiest resource to lose, also the "easiest" to raise, there are a few crisis that do it (Colonial Day, some others?) and 4 Inspirational Speeches, but all of those are one-shots-once used they are gone, even if they failed (unless I am mistaken).

As far as making them even more lethal, damage on 3-6 and destroyed on 7-8, I think this would make this card a little too powerful, feel free to try it out though at let me know. I've had games where we lost 3 vipers pretty much right off the bat, so I'm wary about increasing the chances of destruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanaGamer wrote:
Morale is the easiest resource to lose, also the "easiest" to raise, there are a few crisis that do it (Colonial Day, some others?) and 4 Inspirational Speeches, but all of those are one-shots-once used they are gone, even if they failed (unless I am mistaken).

Failed speeches are placed in Quorom discard and may be redrawn if the Quorom deck reshuffles.

Successful speeches are placed in the box (out of the game) and cannot be redrawn.

Crisis cards are pretty much gone once seen unless the players are being very aggressive about scouting, Roslin's in the game and cycling, Boomer's in the game and cycling and the Admiral has chosen a massive string of '1' jumps - in which case you have other problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
ArcanaGamer wrote:
Morale is the easiest resource to lose, also the "easiest" to raise, there are a few crisis that do it (Colonial Day, some others?) and 4 Inspirational Speeches, but all of those are one-shots-once used they are gone, even if they failed (unless I am mistaken).

Failed speeches are placed in Quorom discard and may be redrawn if the Quorom deck reshuffles.

Successful speeches are placed in the box (out of the game) and cannot be redrawn.

Crisis cards are pretty much gone once seen unless the players are being very aggressive about scouting, Roslin's in the game and cycling, Boomer's in the game and cycling and the Admiral has chosen a massive string of '1' jumps - in which case you have other problems.

Thanks for the clarification-In our last game I could have theoretically gotten us one more morale then, we were boxing all, pass or fail, and we did lose by Morale. Anyway this is a little off topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I thought it over, and incorporated suggested changes. Scar should be dangerous, it's fitting, and this should be a larger challenge in order to merit the +1 moral. A reward that is too easily achieved isn't all that rewarding.

Changes;
6 Raiders instead of 8
Scar Damages on a 4-6, and Destroys on a 7-8
Scar now targets Civilian Ships.
Scar now activates Twice for each Raider activation :laugh:

Interesting aspect of Scars behavior-Scar never moves, he reveals, Destroys all vipers in 'his' corner of space, then all civilian ships, and then jumps away before reinforcements show up, Something he is likely to be able to do with 2-3 activations.

I don't want to boast, but I really look forward to trying this out! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
azuredarkness wrote:

I Took your advice, And I also clarified that Scar has the same chances to damage/destroy a manned Viper, it was a little unclear because Scar will only 'Reveal' when attacking an unmanned viper. If you're still around, let me know what you think of the changes, and thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably not good to have a cylon attack with no basestar and especially no civilians.

Very cool idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
The lack of a Baseship is very intentional, However you might be right about the Civilian ships, to be honest, putting one Civvie out there actually helps the humans, because if it wasn't out there, the entire swarm would fire on Galactica.

I'm thinking about it...
Yeah, it's probably better with a Civilian ship mood wise, because when you stand to lose something and you don't know what it is.

I'll edit it in, but no Baseship! These are Scouts, and the main point of this Fleet card is to put "the Scar effect" into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.