Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think I have finally bit off more than I can handle. My other half and I have just recently become hooked on Boardgames and soon had Arkham Horror which in turn led to the very recent purchase of CoC in an attempt to get a game that would not take 4 hours to complete. Apart from that LCG looked intriguing. Neither of us have ever been near a CCG or a LCG before so you cant get much newer that first look at the LCG 3 days ago.

I read the rule book, watched a short video clip and wandered through a number of posts I then enticed my other half to play.

mmm talk about lost, we don't have a clue. so help help help.

Here goes.

For starters we are really struggling with coming to grips with actions and the timings.

What can be played, how it's played when it can be played etc? - bet most of you just shuddered at that question and felt like saying put it back in the box and go back to Ticket to Ride.

On page 13 of the rules detailed turn sequence it shows where actions may be taken.

Can someone give me some examples of actions and what happens.

For example in the refresh stage is returning characters to ready the only action that can be taken or are there other actions that may occur.

We are also struggling with some of the card instructions.

For example the support card sedated: attach to an insane character, attached character cannot be restored. Am I correct in assuming that this card is attached to your opponents character. If so it would be good if the card actually specified opponent some card seem to and many don't.

If it is attached to an opponents character the card go into their play area attached to their card?

I suppose what I am asking are cards that have a degrading or negative affects played on your opponents card while those that are beneficial a played on your own?

I could go on and on with specific questions but I think I will see what comes out of this post.

Is anyone aware of any tutorials for this game? The video on FFG site shows only very very basic play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know CoC specifically, so I can't help you with available actions, but CCG/LCGs are usually designed to be very specifically worded in terms of what you can/cannot do.

In the case of "Sedated," if it doesn't specify whose character you can attach it to, assume you can attach it to either player's character.

So yes: you can play it on an opponent's character (in their play area). You can also play it on your own characters. Why would you want to do that? Who knows, but there may be a good reason to have a character that is "out of the loop" for a while, especially if you have a card that lets you remove that "Sedated" card later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card says attach to a character, it could by yours or your opponents.

The reason you would attach a bad thing to your own guy is to pull off a combo.

Say you have a guy who gets crazy good bonuses if something bad happens to him, and you can attach that bad card yourself. Yippee for you.

When you attach a card, you slide it under the card you are attaching it to. You usually leave the tittle of the attachment sticking out, so everyone knows what it is. At first you'll probably be pulling the card out from under the other one to read what it does, but afte a while you'll have learned the cards, and just the tittle will let you know what it does.

Another good place to look for help with the game would be FFG's forums.

Hope that helps some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the FFG forums aren't that helpful, as it's mostly full of old CCG players, who are coming from that mindset, and who just want to complain about the white-bordered cards

They are also pretty dead.

An action would be using a card for its effect, playing an event, etc. If a card says on it "Action: Exhaust this card to choose a character and make that character go insane". So anytime you are not in one of the green boxes in the turn sequence, you could do this action. Response actions are similar, although you would need to have met the "triggering conditions" to do it. Forced Responses are a bit different, in that you MUST do the action, and that action is done immediately, (even if within one of the green boxes), as soon as the cause of that response has finished resolving. Disrupts are interrupt actions, that actually preceed the action that they are disrupting.

Playing an event card would also be an action. Event cards are the only kinds of cards you can play during your opponents turn.

For the most part, read the cards literally. If it doesn't say "opponent's character" or "your character" you can play it on anyone.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
edmil wrote:
For starters we are really struggling with coming to grips with actions and the timings. What can be played, how it's played when it can be played etc?

Well character, support and conspiracy cards may only be played during your operations phase. Event cards may be played at any time actions may be taken, either on your turn or your opponent's. Unless of course the card says otherwise.

edmil wrote:
On page 13 of the rules detailed turn sequence it shows where actions may be taken. Can someone give me some examples of actions and what happens.

Well that's events or character and support card abilities. If the character or support card has an ability that says "Action: something" that's an ability that can be used when actions can be taken.

In every case, you have to pay for the ability and then enact the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies, I am confident that with your help the mists will clear.

Quote:
Event cards may be played at any time actions may be taken, either on your turn or your opponent's. Unless of course the card says otherwise.

If it is you opponents turn how does this work. Is your opponent expected to initiate something then you respond. Is there some sort of etiquette or just go in boots and all

Some more questions: I have in my hand:

Mature deep one
Cost is 3
Action: pay 3 to choose and destroy an attachment card

(a) Do I have to pay 3 to get it from my hand and the pay 3 to use that action

(b) Once I have used the action is the character exhausted?

(c) Can this action be used over and over if I pay 3 each time?

(d) Do I have to choose an attachment card that I own or can I choose one of my opponents?

When you have an action card that reads .. until the end of phase each committed character you control gains 'Icon'

Is this card really only useful during the story phase where you battle for Icons?

Similarly is any card that says until the end of phase - # skill again really only useful during the story phase.

Until the mist rises expect some more questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
edmil wrote:
Quote:
Event cards may be played at any time actions may be taken, either on your turn or your opponent's. Unless of course the card says otherwise.

If it is you opponents turn how does this work. Is your opponent expected to initiate something then you respond. Is there some sort of etiquette or just go in boots and all

Well technically, at each white action box in the timing diagram, there is the oppurtunity to play actions. The active player always has first choice, but if they pass it goes to the defender. If they also pass, then you move onto the next phase (or action block or whatever). If you're both taking actions, it alternates back and forth until both players pass.

I made up a more detailed sequence of events than you probably need to know, but its here:
http://www.chris-long.com/cthulhu/cthulhuGlossary.cfm

But typically, no one goes to the trouble of saying "pass" a whole ton during the game, because that would get tedious. Instead, the etiquette is essentially to let your opponent know that you have an action you'd like to take during one of their phases.

Or, if its their Operations phase, and you want to kill one of their characters before they play another or something, just say "hold on" or "let me think" or something and don't let them play their next action yet. Actually, sometimes I try to let my opponent believe I have cancellation in my hand and just chose not to use it. Mostly to mess with them.

edmil wrote:
Some more questions: I have in my hand:

Mature deep one
Cost is 3 4
Action: pay 3 to choose and destroy an attachment card

I'm pretty sure the cost is 4.

edmil wrote:
(a) Do I have to pay 3 to get it from my hand and the pay 3 to use that action

Yes, you must take an action during your operations phase to bring the character into play, paying for it with a domain of 4 (or more) resources, at least one of which is Cthulhu.

Then, at any point where actions may be taken, you can trigger his ability by paying for it with any 3-resource domain. With these abilities, you do not have to faction-match.

edmil wrote:
(b) Once I have used the action is the character exhausted?

Only if the ability tells you to.

edmil wrote:
(c) Can this action be used over and over if I pay 3 each time?

Yes. As long as you can pay the cost of the action, you can trigger it. However, Responses work a little differently. They can only be triggered once per card, per trigger.

edmil wrote:
(d) Do I have to choose an attachment card that I own or can I choose one of my opponents?

Choose any attachment you like.

edmil wrote:
When you have an action card that reads .. until the end of phase each committed character you control gains 'Icon'

Is this card really only useful during the story phase where you battle for Icons?

Usually, but maybe you want to give somebody an icon in order to be able to use them to play a card like Pulled Under, which requires 2 terror icons on your character.

edmil wrote:
Similarly is any card that says until the end of phase - # skill again really only useful during the story phase.

Again, the story phase is where it is most commonly useful, but there are always other situations that might arise where you could use that ability in other phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all responses, The mists may not have cleared but they are rising.

Quote:
I made up a more detailed sequence of events than you probably need to know, but its here

Great reference I must say and it led me to exploring some of the other information that was available. It definitely wasn't an overkill for me and gave me a good understanding of the mechanics of play.

For someone who is totally uninitiated to the CCGs or LCGs it can be difficult to understand the mechanics of these games. There seems to be an assumption that players who come to the game already have some sort of CCG playing history or may have been introduced to the game one-on- one or through a games club.

I had neither played a card game of this nature before, nor have I had it explained and I am not part of any games club. - Difficult.

A good guide that outlines the play with a series of examples would be most helpful. i.e a mini 'dummies guide to CoC'

If one of the intentions of FFG with their LCGs is to encourage people to get into the game and continue to purchase their APs then they need to provide a top class learning environment for total newbies and not just assume that current gamers are going to be the main customer.

The rules are basic, The Video on you tube is extremely basic and is an attempt more at affects and atmosphere than in instruction. - I am not knocking the rules or video but I just don't think the marketing material is suited to raw beginners.

It is not until you gain a bit of understanding of the mechanics of the game that you can understand the affects on some of the cards, which can be a nightmare to get a grip on.

Not all newcomers will take the time to scour the forums for information and take the time to read through any post just to get a feel of the game.

For me without the forums and the assistance from people like yourself I think this game would have either made it back into the market place or just sat on the shelf - a pity I think

At the moment I am simulating play in solo games just to get the feel of what is going on - sadly I beat myself at a game last night

After an initial attempt I am going to have to work hard to get my wife interested in playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bartula
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
To prevent creating a new thread, I thought I'd just tack onto this one:

1) This may be a goofy question, but are the 3 cards for your Domains supposed to come from your deck (53 cards)? Is it part of the "luck of the draw" factor that is in play (ie one of your "good" cards could wind up a Domain) or can you just use the 3 Domain cards from the CCG or spare cards?

2) Since there are Forced Responses, I'm assuming Response: actions can be ignored if you wish not to trigger them?

3) After the Active player commits characters to one or more stories, Actions may be taken. If the Active player doesn't take an action after this, can the Opposing player take an action with some card that affects the Story struggles before the Opposing player commits his characters?

4) I see there is a step to respond to the struggles and successes of Stories. Is this simply saying that cards with Response: actions can be played? In other words, dead/insane characters stay that way unless a Response is triggered?

I think the hardest part to understand for me, as a previous M;TG player of long ago, is that the opposing player can always respond with his own Actions/Responses translating somewhat to Instants. So, the Active Player plays a character/support card, then the Opposing Player can play an Event, Action, or Response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) This may be a goofy question, but are the 3 cards for your Domains supposed to come from your deck (53 cards)? Is it part of the "luck of the draw" factor that is in play (ie one of your "good" cards could wind up a Domain) or can you just use the 3 Domain cards from the CCG or spare cards?

Spare cards

2) Since there are Forced Responses, I'm assuming Response: actions can be ignored if you wish not to trigger them?

Correct

3) After the Active player commits characters to one or more stories, Actions may be taken. If the Active player doesn't take an action after this, can the Opposing player take an action with some card that affects the Story struggles before the Opposing player commits his characters?

Yes, this is an excellent time to SURPRISE the active player.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.