Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played perhaps a half-dozen games of Empire Builder, but I suspect we've been playing a rule wrong in that time. Perhaps you can help.

The rules in the HOW TO WIN section state the following:

"The winner of the game will be the first player to complete these two requirements:

+ Connect six of the seven major cities with one continuous
line of track. This track can have any number of loops
and branches, but must be unbroken.

+ Have at least 250 million in cash at the end of their turn.

Underscore mine.

We've been playing this to mean that the six required cities must be connected in a loop, as it were. Consequently, we took the second sentence to mean that other loops and branches did not figure in this consideration.

Similar to the way the Longest Road is counted in Settlers of Catan; what's in a continuous line counts, what's in other branches doesn't.

Having just played the computer implementation of Empire Builder, I notice that the AI didn't bother with a loop, and just had an octopus of track that touched six Major cities.

Have we been playing this rule wrong?
Thanks for your help,
-Zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have been playing wrong. All that is required is that you should be able to trace unbroken routes from each major city to each of the other major cities. No loop is required.

Edit:Actually 6 out of 7 will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answer.

Incidentally, your use of the word 'each' twice in that sentence caused me a minute's worry.

No wonder we've been playing wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the title of the post I thought you were asking if you could connect to your last city/cities as your last action and win.

Which you can. It is called winning with style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:
one continuousline of track. This track can have any number of loops and branches, but must be unbroken.
I infer that the special wording comes from the intent to disallow a situation where you may have track at all the appropriate cites, but an unmended river disaster has wiped out the continuous connection (i.e., there are two separate/disconnected areas serviced).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.