Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Go» Forums » General

Subject: Clam Shell & Slate Stones: how to clean them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume G.
Switzerland
Genève
flag msg tools
geneva.swissgo.org
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just purchased some nice Clam Shell & Slate stones and I'm wondering what to do next... Do I really need to clean them before use?
If so, is plain water sufficient for both or do you need a special treatment for each nature of stone (shell / slate)?
How frequently do you need to renew this cleaning operation?

I've read so many different things on the net that I'm getting a bit confused...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I own slate and shell stones as well. Since both are hewn from natural materials that are indigenous to water, I wouldn't use anything other than soaking in water and air drying. I'd be interested in others opinions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this page for everything you need to know about cleaning slate & shell go stones.

Enjoy your quality stones!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As for this:

Actorios wrote:
Do I really need to clean them before use?


I don't suppose you really *need* to clean them - but they will look a lot better if you do, so I highly recommend it.

I never tried waxing the clam stones, I just washed them with a mild detergent like it says on Sensei's, and that works like a charm. Gives them a really sparkly luster, you'd almost expect them to glow in the dark. Just gorgeous.

The slate ones were really dull when I got them, lightly oiling them (seriously, a few drops is enough for the whole lot - take a plastic bag, add a few drops of oil and shake) makes them much nicer to look at.

I'm still very excited about getting my set as a wedding present from my wife (she secretly imported them from Japan, awesome surprise!). That reminds me, by the way - I really need to wash mine again...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing is not to combine clam shells and hot water...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume G.
Switzerland
Genève
flag msg tools
geneva.swissgo.org
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all the answers.
I got confused with the wikipedia article on Go stones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_equipment

It says:
"New clamshell stones should not need cleaning. New slate stones should be cleaned of excess mineral oil with a cotton cloth."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Stormparkiet wrote:
The slate ones were really dull when I got them, lightly oiling them (seriously, a few drops is enough for the whole lot - take a plastic bag, add a few drops of oil and shake) makes them much nicer to look at.


I'd say the risk of chipping the stones is quite severe if you shake them. Of course it depends on how you shake them, I guess...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
Stormparkiet wrote:
The slate ones were really dull when I got them, lightly oiling them (seriously, a few drops is enough for the whole lot - take a plastic bag, add a few drops of oil and shake) makes them much nicer to look at.


I'd say the risk of chipping the stones is quite severe if you shake them. Of course it depends on how you shake them, I guess...


Mmmm, perhaps I should amend my statement to 'gently shake'.

But then again, who in his or her right mind will shell out the cash (pun intended) for slate & shell, then swing them in a bag like a maniac?...

Anyway, I did it with my slate stones and not one of them chipped. So in my experience it's quite safe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Stormparkiet wrote:
Mmmm, perhaps I should amend my statement to 'gently shake'.

But then again, who in his or her right mind will shell out the cash (pun intended) for slate & shell, then swing them in a bag like a maniac?...

Anyway, I did it with my slate stones and not one of them chipped. So in my experience it's quite safe.



I trust you to handle your own stones properly, with love and care.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.