Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To play a hoard of games of one type then look at stats to see where you stand in number of games you played, then see some bogus LIAR saying he played 50 games today. Is any one irked enough and making a list of these people?
I do understand some people post once a blue moon and then put all games played in all at once, but even these can not amount to the numbers we often see posted.

Poll
People found to be posting stats that are outrageously abnormal and unrealistic should.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Have their account suspended for a period of time and stats removed.
11.8% 20
Be blitzed with emails from other BGG members asking about game results, and multiple questions about games supposedly played.
14.2% 24
Commended and given an award for having such high game played stats
1.2% 2
Forgotten about, stats mean nothing and i never look at them any way
72.8% 123
Voters 169
What type of BGG does this?

Pathetic gamers who need to lie about games played because no one wants to play with them.
23.1% 24
Obsessive gamers who can not get enough games played, that dream games played in their sleep, then think they actually played that many games.
10.6% 11
Lame gamers who have a need to make the few games they own appear like they are popular and played a lot.
40.4% 42
Regular gamers who have no scruples.
26.0% 27
Voters 104
Game played stats should be removed.
yes
11.0% 19
no
71.5% 123
maybe
14.0% 24
probably
3.5% 6
Voters 172
This poll is now closed.   180 answers
Poll created by nastycleavage
Closes: Thu Apr 9, 2009 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he played 50 games while out of town for two weeks, and only now has the opportunity to record them in the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
What's the game in question? Some games I can definitely play a lot of in a day (ie. RftG, San Juan, Dominion).

However, some players just lump all of their logs together. So they may have played that game fifty times, just spread out over time. For ease of input, they choose to put it all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't compare how many games I play with anyone else, so I don't care how other people go about keeping track of the games they play.

To each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be he just bought the game but played his friends 50 times in the past 2 years, figured he should somehow tally it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
He's annoyed at this I bet

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/30549?userid=229270

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jessitron wrote:
Maybe he played 50 games while out of town for two weeks, and only now has the opportunity to record them in the system.

I keep a day planner on the counter to record my games, and only log them into BGG every couple of weeks, but I put them in on the correct days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What type of BGG complains about this?
Pathetic gamers who worry that other gamers have more people who want to play with them.
Obsessive BGGers who can not get enough BGG, that dream about BGG, that think BGG statistics mean anything
Lame gamers who worry that their games aren't popular and aren't played a lot.
Regular gamers who worry too much about the scruples of others.
      58 answers
Poll created by keethrax

EDIT: Damn! I forgot to number the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I do understand some people post once a blue moon and then put all games played in all at once, but even these can not amount to the numbers we often see posted.

Games in question are not ones that are usually played in less than one hour. Once a blue moon can mean a person who posts all his games once a year, more or less. Some of these people repeat the numbers, they post the same game with large numbers multiple times in a short period of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There have been some extreme cases that were obviously bogus (I remember some case of 10000 games or something insane).

But trying to formally define and automatically detect (or even detect with human judgment) the bogus cases seems obviously infeasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't care who on this website plays what when. I'm sure it's fun for people to keep track in some game groups, and they should always have the opportunity to do so... but I personally wish I could find the time to erase my handful of plays I recorded years ago as it's just silly to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arvey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's "I must have played that HUDREDS of times befor ejoining this site." It's amazing how few times I've actually playe dmy favorite games when I go back and look at my logged plays, so I imagine it's easy to overstate plays recorded after years and years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
Is any one irked enough and making a list of these people?

Seems like it would be easy and harmless to just jot down a quick message to them asking them why they did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
People also play these games online or on a computer and log those plays. I have played Risk games on my computer in under 3 minutes. It's certainly not outside the bounds of reason to suspect that I have played 30 games in a row (I don't do that anymore though).

Also, who cares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To mimic others in here, who cares? I don't know which is worse, people who feel some bizarre need to inflate their games played #'s or people who are incensed by that. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, why would it bother you? It never even occurred to me that people were using the stats that way.

It's really a personal thing for me, see what I like the most, if it's bound to seasons etc.

Not worth making a poll for And I think the pandemic entry someone posted was actually quite funny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
To mimic others in here, who cares? I don't know which is worse, people who feel some bizarre need to inflate their games played #'s or people who are incensed by that. LOL

The world is full of people who feel some bizarre need to ______ and people who are incensed by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It only irks me when game designers or publishers do it for their own game for publicity reasons.

I don't recall which game it was but there abouts in 2003 or so, a game designer posted 3000 plays of a game that took 2 hours to play for a single day.

When asked about it, he replied: "that shows my desire to play the game".

Smarminess ftw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

Which seems clearly designed to annoy.

In most cases I think it's just a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been orthodox about recording my plays from 2006-onwards.

Prior to that, my records are reconstructed, and I'll sometimes enter dozens (or more) plays of a single game on a single day, to account for all the plays of a game that I know I played in that year.

There, I said it.

Come and get me, coppers. You'll never take me alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why it matters. Aren't there bigger issues in the world to worry about?

When I joined BGG, I started going through the games list and recording the number of plays of that game that I've played. I figured it was the best way to represent my gaming history, both for me to look back on and for others to peruse. However, not all the plays got recorded for some reason, so ocassionally I start going through the list and making adjustments. Are the numbers completely accurate? No, they are estimates of games that I have played in my lifetime, and some of those games were played way too many years ago to remember exact counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an actual post I made for a game I judged using The Games of War on December 28, 2008.

"This game is a play test of a Helm's Deep style wargame using a 3' by6, multi-wall model of Helm's Deep at the Lake Geneva Games Convention in June.
The rules are slightly modified Maces High from my book, The Games of War. In the playtest, there were 7 participants, 1 girl and 2 boys in grade school (ages 9 to 13), 1 high school boy, and 3 adult males, 2 in their 40's and 1 in his late 50's. I simply judged and took photos!
There were 958 attackers (all orcs for purposes of this game) vs. 149 defenders. The defender's archers took a worrisome toll on the attachers as they lumbered up to the wall. Once at the wall, ladders went up and a battering ram that had been shielde by a testudo formation, went to work. Orc archers had thinned the ranks of the defender's bowmen, allowing orcs to gain the ramparts. Having waited too long, the archers, bows in hand, suddenly found themsleves in melees with orcs armed to the teeth for hand to hand combat. This put an effective stop to the showers of arrows that had bedeviled the attackers since they had come into bow range.
Though some orcs were killed in melee, the defenders were getting the worst of it. There were now too many orcs on the wall with more coming up every turn. King Theoden called for his men to retire to the second wall. This effectively was the end of the game as this model was not equipped with a second wall.
One brave (fool hardy?) defender, a hero type, jumped from the wall and attacked the orcs at its base. He received two light wounds and killed 4 orcs when the signal to withdraw was given.
There were 310 dead orcs, 648 left. Using smaller HO orcs and goblins as body counters, dead orcs (D+D figures from Wizards of the Coast) were recycled into the horde as there simply weren't enough actual orcs. (Cursed random collection booster packs!!!). The defenders had lost 15 elves, 6 other archers, and 6 men at arms for a total of 27. They had remaining besides King Theoden and 4 other heroes, 5 regular archers, 31 elves, and 81 men at arms, for a total of 149. With the ramparts in dispute and the battering ram making steady progress on the gate, it was only a matter of time before the orcs gained the upper hand.
Unbeknownst to the defenders, a large container of explosives was being carried to the culvert in the wall. Since the retreat had been sounded before they arrived at their intended target, they never needed to blow up that wall!
The game started about 3:15 pm and ended at 7 pm. Orcs received a +1 to melee. Elvish archers fired twice a turn. The two hero bowmen (one elf and one human - guess who?) fired 3 times a turn and had a +2 to hit. Ranges were measured from the base of the wall set for the defenders firing out, but from the orc archers to the top of the wall for the attackers."
I enjoyed writing and posting the battle report. Who won wasn't important. That it helps showcase my rules doesn't hurt either.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Indeed, why would it bother you? It never even occurred to me that people were using the stats that way.

Quote:
He's annoyed at this I bet

Quote:
I don't know which is worse, people who feel some bizarre need to inflate their games played #'s or people who are incensed by that.

Where do i say it bothers me, i am asking if it irks you. Though i admit it appears that way, but that is how it was intended. Na takes a lot more than that to annoy me, try again. Just an idea that came up when i read else where here people are annoyed at this. Bizarre/incensed, good point, but have yet to find some one post in this tread they are incensed. So just for you.
Poll
Which is worse
Posting ridiculous and bizarre number of games played.
44.7% 21
Being incensed by people posting ridiculous and bizarre number of games played.
55.3% 26
Voters 47
This poll is now closed.   47 answers
Poll created by nastycleavage
Closes: Thu Apr 9, 2009 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily H.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to disable the date when you enter plays? So you could enter, say, 7 plays of Agricola at once without doing it one day at a time or even specifying dates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EmilyMoby wrote:
Is there a way to disable the date when you enter plays? So you could enter, say, 7 plays of Agricola at once without doing it one day at a time or even specifying dates.
\
Indeed there is! Just leave the date blank. But I'll bet it still adds plays to the total, date or no date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.