Press release from WotC:
Quote:
THE SIEGE BEGINS WITH ALL NEW ADDITIONS TO HEROSCAPE

Wizards of the Coast releases new set for the build-and-battle game system

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Wizards of the Coast LLC
425-254-2263
Marcella.Kallmann@Wizards.com.

RENTON, Wash.—April 2, 2009—Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS), today announced the upcoming release of a new expansion set for Heroscape®, the wildly popular build-and-battle miniatures game. Small Expansion set 9, Blackmoon’s Siege™, will be released in July 2009.

Blackmoon’s Siege features 24 brand new painted figures in a 4-pack assortment set. Braves and Brawlers, Dwarves and Repulsors, Dividers and Defenders, and Heroes of the Moon have all been summoned to battle. Designed to add strength to players’ armies, these warriors are ready to charge forward and take on any enemy that gets in their way.

Each pack includes painted figures and army cards and can be used with any Heroscape Master Set. In the coming months, fans can also look forward to another Heroscape release with the reprint of Wave 1, Malliddon's Prophecy™.

w00t!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Who would have thought... I'd have bet money that this game was dead... it is nice to see more is coming out, any news on if this is going to be an ongoing thing (is the line still alive), or is this just a one shot (they already blew money on prototypes/molds/etc so they are trying to cash in on one last wave?)

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
Wow! Who would have thought... I'd have bet money that this game was dead... it is nice to see more is coming out, any news on if this is going to be an ongoing thing (is the line still alive), or is this just a one shot (they already blew money on prototypes/molds/etc so they are trying to cash in on one last wave?)

D.

From what I've read on heroscapers.com, this was playtested but hadn't moved into the production stage when the handover from Hasbro took place. I could be wrong but I believe that means that the molds were not yet created at that time. I take this as a very, very encouraging sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, if the molds were not yet made for these at that time, that means they have put some new money into this which could mean some more long term plans, what great news!

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was the other way around but there are only a few people who would know the truth of the matter. At least we get another Wave! Woohoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice to see this press release - there's hope this (basically) fan-made release may well have some creative unit designs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frigging Rocking good News,

Just so we are all clear - Hendal the Dwarf has been asking for Dwarfs for Heroscape for a long time, I predict at least one more wave with more dwarfs --- because lets face it people

DWARFS ARE LIKE COW BELLS - YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH COW BELL BABY! OR DWARFS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They were working on concept art as of last Feb:

It seems that Wizards has, at least, been actively working on this since the handoff, apparently. Regardless, all that matters is that we finally have an official announcement. Good news all around - O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today feels like Christmas! I'm geeked to be a geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion about the imminent death of Heroscape has been going on for years.
Why not live in the moment and enjoy all the speculation about the upcoming expansion. Then, when the expansion is released, play the game and have fun, for many many games. After that, look at where the game is heading?

It is the curse of Heroscape to constantly be struggling with doomsayers. They can't release anything, without people asking if this will be the final expansion in the line. But to start that sort of discussion less than an hour after the news of an upcoming expansion has hit this board, that must truly be a record!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dair Grant
United States
Martinsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just as excited about the mention at the end of the re-release of Wave 1. I knew it was supposed to be coming, but it is still nice to see confirmation in writing. Great news for guys like me that jumped in late and didn't get all they wanted of the early set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HAPPY! HAPPY!
And Truth on `Scapers went on to saiy that WotC have promised some wave 9 previews "soon", looking forward to those!

And then there´s the promise of more HS news to come later this spring/early summer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, having wave 1 back out again is going to be nice to see and purchase more of as well... I wonder if they are going to be identical to the originals, or if they will have paint changes or color changes or something... That might be kind of neat to have too.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
Yeah, having wave 1 back out again is going to be nice to see and purchase more of as well... I wonder if they are going to be identical to the originals, or if they will have paint changes or color changes or something... That might be kind of neat to have too.

D.

Yeah, gimme some pink Orcs, and I´ll be all over the place!!!

But you´re right, it would be fun to see if they can match the exact same colours, or there will be differences. Maybe they´ll make them with "version 2" bases...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am almost thinking that if they can't be exact matches, then they might as well do a repaint wave, different colored skin, hair, clothing, whatever... just to spice things up a bit.

It might even boost sales with people who would buy them just to have variety.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hills
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome News!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
Wizards of the Coast today announced the upcoming release of a new expansion set for Heroscape, the wildly popular build-and-battle miniatures game. Small Expansion set 9, Blackmoon’s Siege, will be released in July 2009.

Maybe I´m just reading too much into things, but a game described as "wildly popular", doesn´t sound like a game that´s about to be shut down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
I'd have bet money that this game was dead...

People will be saying that again by September, October at the latest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-Release Wave 4, dammit!

The last re-release got all the way up to 3, and now we're re-starting on 1 again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
Re-Release Wave 4, dammit!

The last re-release got all the way up to 3, and now we're re-starting on 1 again?

Word on the street is that there's an Omnicron boost in this expansion, so it makes sense to also release Wave 1 around the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mendenhall
United States
Unspecified
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finally. Some signs of life over at WOTC. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for the HS discussions.

Corporate meeting at WOTC...

"What's our hottest miniatures game besides Star Wars?"

"Ummmm....Star Wars isn't our hottest."

"Oh....So D&D is outselling it?"

"No, we cancelled that skirmish game version."

Long pause.

"Axis and Allies is outselling all our other mini products??"

(Howling laughter from around the table.) "No."

Long pause.

(Puzzled sipping/slurping of a Double Latte, with cinnamon twist and chocolate sprinkles on whipped cream. It's a bit too sweet today, overpowering the taste of the bean.)

"So what's that leave?"

Embarrassed, uncomfortable shuffling and squirming around the table.

"I know. I'll check the magic Interweb and see which mini game of ours people are posting the most about......let's see......D&D skirmish...25+ posts...that seems pretty good....A&A....5+ posts....not so bad...Star Wars...12+ posts...and.....what's this.....HeroScape?.....500,000+ posts.......

(Stunned silence. Coffee gurgles in stomachs.)

"Huh."

"We own HeroScape?"

"Yes sir."

"Guess we better give some support to the product and put out some more expansions."

"Yes sir."

"Glad we thought of that. Very Productive meeting. Somebody get me another coffee."

"I'm sorry sir, we're too busy right now using the coffee hot plate to melt down our other Mini's lines plastic for reuse in HeroScape."

"Very good. Full speed ahead with that."

(Wanders off down the hall in search of the perfect Double Latte, muttering something about Taelord and walls.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely good news to hear. Looking forward to more Heroscape stuff coming out. Now all we need is a large creature pack filled with Dinosaurs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good post John!

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No corporation's ever going to describe their product in such a fashion - not even on the 1st of April.

I had to do a double-take of this announcement, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice to see some activity here....I still grow concerned over the game's future whenever I walk through the Target, Wal-Mart, whatever and see that they STILL aren't stocking Master Sets (and Target and TRU, from what we hear, have no plans to ever stock the game again) The fact that this game sold at big box retail was a major point in its favor. It meant it was more likely to find favor wit the masses and thus keep going. Can the game justify a major expansion when it no longer sells anyplace besides specialty retailers? In the past year (or more) I can't say I've seen anything at big-box stores except some Wave 2-3, 7-8, and a couple beat-up looking Marvel sets that have clearly been there a while. I'll feel optimistic about Heroscape's long-term future again once I see a ROTV or SOTM set on a Wal-Mart shelf. So long as the game only shows up at the local obscure and/or overpriced comic and game stores I'll be wary and always wonder how much longer it can go on.

This is a step in the right direction though, for sure. When the pictures hit Heroscapers.com, they will be the first new retail Heroscape figures we've seen since Gencon 2007's preview display. That's over 18 months!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.