Subject: This sounds like a great game but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... putting together plans, randomizing them, and distributing them each round sounds a little tedious.

Why not add a second deck of playing cards? Most people have a spare somewhere. Then you can deal out 5 red cards (any value) and 5 black cards (any value) to each player, and be done with it. The leader can just nominate players instead of physically handing out plans, everyone votes, and then the lucky rebels or spies play a single card from their hand. Badabing, badaboom!

And as a bonus, you won't have confused rebel colleagues accidentally discarding their sabotage card into the wrong pile! I know, I know, this is only guaranteed to work with 5-9 players. Ok, if there are 10 players, you can shuffle and redistribute the discards if the game makes it to a fifth and final round (use the interlude to build some suspense!) Or just use a third deck.

EDIT:

On further reflection, I realize that nobody needs more than three sabotage cards. So two decks should suffice for any number of players between 5-10, provided the sabotage cards are defined carefully (e.g. all aces and spades).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a crapton of The Resistance tonight and the shuffling and distributing was not tedious at all and took maybe 15 seconds each round. All I did was gather all of the cards after each round, then shuffle and deal one of the colors into separate piles of one card each, then shuffle and deal the other color on top of the one already there. I do this during the first seconds of the next "negotiation" so there is no downtime. These packets of plans can then be passed to the appropriate players when needed with no need for any further shuffling.

We only handed out packets when the vote passed. It's unnecessary to pass them with every proposal. The leader can just nominate and then if the vote passes you pass out cards.

I do like the idea of having a hand of cards to play but honestly, separating the cards into decks in between each game would create more downtime for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Voltz
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we did was just had a pile of maybe 15 red cards and 15 black face cards on the table, and then just took one of each to make plans when we needed. Then, we gave each deck a quick shuffle after each decision. It was a lot easier than making the plans and then randomizing them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.