Popular Tags: media [+] nyt [+] [View All]
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/nyregion/long-island/05Rbo...

I've seen a number of articles in the past six months. Is this a U.S. media wave we're riding, or have articles like these often popped up over the last 5-10 years? I don't have the history to know.

Anyone care to say what this means (if anything) for the hobby in the United States?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link; it's an interesting article.

I can't say that it's necessarily indicative of a heightened interest in gaming or Euro-games.

US news organizations often cue each other. The wrap against the major television news networks, for instnace, has always been that their editors would read the NY Times each morning to determine what stories they would air that evening. WIRED recently had an article on gaming, and the Times may have keyed off of that to do what is ostensibly a local story (It was in their Long Island section). It's hard to say.

From time to time articles on pasttimes come up. I remember articles on Trivial Pursuit in the '80s, Magic: The Gathering and fanstasy-baseball leagues in the '90s, even an occasional revisit to Monopoly (usually on an anniversary date; journalists love to write about how many copies have been sold worldwide). Some, unfortunately, tend to focus on what we might call a "Look what the nerds are doing now" bent.

Sales figures would be a better indicator of what's happening here in the States, and right now, I know of a great, established FLGS that is struggling through the recession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, that was a great article!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Most news articles I've ever been involved with are written before they talk to me. As such, the media has it stuck in their head that board gaming is saving money, so they write articles. As a co-owner of a site that specializes in board gaming, I'm not complaining. But the herd mentality of the media has never been more obvious to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
newsguy wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/nyregion/long-island/05Rbo...

I've seen a number of articles in the past six months. Is this a U.S. media wave we're riding, or have articles like these often popped up over the last 5-10 years? I don't have the history to know.

Anyone care to say what this means (if anything) for the hobby in the United States?

I'd like to think it means more people will become gamers. I guess the best gauge would be game sales figures from publishers. Will those go up? Will Ticket to Ride start selling out faster now? Will anyone tell us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tudor
United States
Paoli
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercifully, the writer appeared to take the time to learn about each of the games and the players before jumping to conclusions. Nice session report of Pandemic at the end, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay us!

The writer actually PLAYED Pandemic with us, which certainly helped him understand the game. I know it says that, but it's easy to overlook (I missed it the first time I read the article).

I give the writer great credit -- he was definitely interested in getting a great story -- he did two 2-hour interviews with me; a series of interviews with 3-4 other members; and attended the GameNite from 7:30pm until 1:30am.

This will actually be in Sunday's print edition, to boot!

Husky???? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Yay us!

thumbsup Very cool article.

Air Baron eh? That was the game that I got my wife into gaming with too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is not in today's paper? I was about to run out and buy it. Great article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just funny that most articles (not so much this one) like to point out that gaming is a cheaper way to spend the evening than movies or whatever else. But they never report the average price of these crazy games! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
So it is not in today's paper? I was about to run out and buy it. Great article.

No, it'll be in Sunday's edition. They just launch it on the web, a few days earlier, apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
is it just me, or do i look expectionally hot in that picture on page 1?

overall, i thought it was a very good article on gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
p.s.

favorite part of the aricle...

even after just ONE evening with us, our intrepid writer found Jarett to be "clubable"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
It's just funny that most articles (not so much this one) like to point out that gaming is a cheaper way to spend the evening than movies or whatever else. But they never report the average price of these crazy games! laugh

Yes, but a family of 4 staying home and playing a 30-50 game is still cheaper than other alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brewbacker
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slyde wrote:
p.s.

favorite part of the aricle...

even after just ONE evening with us, our intrepid writer found Jarett to be "clubable"

"clubbable"

Now whenever I see Jarett I think of baby seals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
US news organizations often cue each other.

Quote:
But the herd mentality of the media has never been more obvious to me...

Yeah, reporters are always looking for interesting developments, so they scan other papers and TV news programs to see if what's happening elsewhere is happening where they live. Or they see something interesting happening locally and just want to write about it.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "herd mentality" in the negative sense. After all, each is trying to document a possible trend in his little corner of the world.

Reporters also need an angle, usually a timely one, to justify writing about the topic NOW (such as the economic downturn angle.)

But I ask: Indeed, why NOW? The economic point has been only briefly mentioned, so I'm not sure it's key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Chris!

I love how NYT writers get to refer to themselves in the third person.

It was a good article, although I play games to have fun, not to save money. The guy who covered my gaming group for the Bergen Record was set on that angle too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice article! I wish I knew about this group the last time I was on Long Island (although that was several years ago, so it might not have existed then.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Very nice article! I wish I knew about this group the last time I was on Long Island (although that was several years ago, so it might not have existed then.)

Probly not - we began in Sept. 2003....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:

Its you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
slyde wrote:

Its you.

way to deflate my ego, Paul. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
slyde wrote:

Its you.

way to deflate my ego, Paul. zombie

Just keepin it real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one of the best mainstream articles I've seen about boardgaming. Excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to read an article that portrays boardgaming as just another hobby or niche interest while not making any judgments or drawing any stereotypical conclusions. Sounds like it was a fun night!

Quote:
On their second date, he lugged along a game he had yet to sample called Outdoor Survival, which entailed escaping the wilderness while still breathing. She hated it.

Wow, dude--nobody should introduce anyone they are newly dating to that game if they ever care to see them again.

The fact that she hung around means you found yourself a keeper! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Quote:
On their second date, he lugged along a game he had yet to sample called Outdoor Survival, which entailed escaping the wilderness while still breathing. She hated it.

Wow, dude--nobody should introduce anyone they are newly dating to that game if they ever care to see them again.

The fact that she hung around means you found yourself a keeper! laugh

As I wrote in the Geeklist:

She was from Canada, and needed a Green Card. It's amazing what you can get away with, in situations like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.