Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
So it goes.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the final session report continuing from the campaign that was started in late January. If you notice, this last update is more than a month after the previous one. I apologize to anyone that was following the updates but we had tragedy befall our gaming group. My good friend and roommate Scott (Team Bauhaus) was killed in an automobile accident in early March. It has been a rough few weeks for the rest of the group and we put a hold on the gaming for obvious reasons.

Last week we decided that we needed to finish the campaign, not only because we know that is what Scott would want, but because we needed some closure. Scott’s fiancé actually took his place as team Bauhaus (with plenty of help from the group). The mood was obviously very different than any of the other sessions, with the yelling and cheering at a minimal level. At times I think everyone at the table wanted to stop but I knew I would personally regret not finishing the campaign, so we continued on.

Here are the first reports if you need to catch-up:
Part 1: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/381734
Part 2: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/382391
Part 3: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/384129
Part 4: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/385757

Scenario 10: The Hunt for Alakhai

Mission: The Doomtroopers must enter the palace and put an end to the Dark Legion invasion by killing Nepharite Alakhai. Turn limit of 8 rounds. Every team also has a secondary mission.

Mission 10 board.

Even though there were 3 teams playing everyone knew that only Mishima and Imperial had a shot at winning. Imperial and Mishima entered through Sector 1 while Bauhaus choose to separate and enter through sector 2. All three teams started straight to sector 7 and 8 where the boss would be hiding. Imperial and Mishima quickly cleared out the first two sections while Bauhaus had some extremely unlucky rolling and ended up losing a member before even getting into the major fighting.

Troopers preparing for final assault.

With an Ezoghoul and a bunch of dark legion blocking the only way into the last section, a truce was made between the teams in hopes of pulling out a victory. In the next few turns Mishima lost Yojimbo and Imperial’s Gallagher was sent to the very top of the board where he was also killed. The doomtroopers were down to three with the Dark Legion closing in from every side.

Turning point of the mission.

On turn 7 Mishima was surrounded and killed, Imperial fled for their life away from the mass of legion, and in a very emotional moment Valerie of team Bauhaus was also killed. We actually took a short break at this point since seeing both members of team Bauhaus eliminated was a bit heavy.

Last kill of the campaign.

With only one turn left Imperial was finally able to take down the Ezoghoul, which gave them enough points to guarantee a victory. None of the teams were able to complete their secondary objectives and the Dark Legion threat was unable to be contained.

Final Score:
Imperial 159 PP and 15 credit.
Bauhaus 138 PP and 11 credits.
Mishima 161 PP and 14 credits.

Last Thoughts:

I actually had a lot to say in this section at one point but with almost a month long break I actually forget most of the points I was going to bring up. I will say that in our campaign the game had a tendency to even out the teams. Both Bauhaus and Imperial were far ahead at one point but when it came down to it the game was decided on the very last kill.

Missions 1-9 were some of the best gaming experiences I have ever been a part of. This game as a whole is just a ton of fun to play. It is fast-paced, run and gun action, with teams fighting each other and the legion at the same time. I would love to say that I’ll be playing this game for a long time but with it now being associated with the death of Scott I don’t know how much play time it will receive. On the other hand I already ordered Doom and we will probably start a campaign for that game in a week or two. I do plan on doing full session reports once we start that game(hopefully with more detail) so look for those soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I applaud you, Scott's fiance and your group for honoring a fellow gamer and more importantly, a friend, in such a fashion.

It's a shame that you don't think you'll play MC much in the future. My only suggestion, having been through similar circumstances, is give it time. Eventually, you'll only remember the fun Scott, you and the rest of the group had playing it and not the pain you feel now.

I've certainly enjoyed reading the mission reports and I look forward to reading your Doom reports. That game is similar, but much more smash mouth than MC. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.