Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I picked up Pillars recently and have been enjoying it. I've played 2-player twice, 4-player once (or maybe twice?) and just recently a 3-player game.

It is fun, and certainly interesting. But I wonder if it wouldn't work just as well in five rounds instead of six. Usually it feels just a bit long. Not in that the game is decided in advance, but in that the fun runs a little low before the game ends. Of course none of us are professional game players and we take a bit longer than ideal to play, but with all games coming in under 2.5 hours including explanation, set-up and clean-up I think we do pretty well. After all, the box says 2 hours.

I do like the way the game develops with the improving crafstmen becoming available, but I think that could be accomplished in five trounds as well as six.

Has anyone had any similar thoughts, or attempted to shorten the game slightly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big pillars fan too. It's designed for 6 rounds deliberately, as the last round is when everything comes together and all the points are scored. The first 5 rounds are really about jostling for position and getting the right resources lined up. The points scores are a fairly slow progression to that point, with only R5 starting to accelerate. My own view would be that stopping at that point would be an anticlimax.
I'm interested that it takes you 2.5 hours, as we can get through a game in about 1.5 with regular players, or maybe up to 2 hrs with a couple of new players.

On a side note, I've just started reading the book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Actually I was considering dropping the first round, rather than the last. I wouldn't be surprised to get the time down to under 2 hours by the thrid game for everyone. So far I've had someone new each time, except the second 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
usually the game is decided on the last round. to drop the last round would take away to much of the overall strategy and planning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd leave your Cathedral with only one tower?

But honestly: Time wise I accept your opinion, the game takes long, sometimes too long.
But more often than not I rather have the feeling it ends a round or two to early...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:
You'd leave your Cathedral with only one tower?

But honestly: Time wise I accept your opinion, the game takes long, sometimes too long.
But more often than not I rather have the feeling it ends a round or two to early...

That has always been my experience as well. I'd like to have one more round added onto the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing A Castle for All Seasons instead of Pillars of the Earth because we felt Pillars was a bit too long for what it is. A Castle for all Seasons satisfies in a similar way, and has the added advantage of role selections that provide player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
I'm a big pillars fan too. It's designed for 6 rounds deliberately, as the last round is when everything comes together and all the points are scored. The first 5 rounds are really about jostling for position and getting the right resources lined up. The points scores are a fairly slow progression to that point, with only R5 starting to accelerate. My own view would be that stopping at that point would be an anticlimax.
I'm interested that it takes you 2.5 hours, as we can get through a game in about 1.5 with regular players, or maybe up to 2 hrs with a couple of new players.

Enjoy it, man, it's a stellar book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:

I finished a couple of days ago. Very good, I recommend it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With rehearsal comes quicker play. Also, if more than one person helps with dishing out the cards and collecting the pawns every round, it will go quicker. My fiancée and I got through a 2-player game last night in under an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.