Subject: Several questions re. Air Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Finally picked up the Air Pack for Memoir 44 recently - really pleased I did - great expansion to an already great game! However, having taken a while to digest the air rules and get my head around the basic elements of the new rules for airplanes in the game I am struggling with a few things that I hope someone could clarify for me.

Most of the questions below relate to the air rules specified in the special rules of certain scenarios. Let me use Operation Cobra (Air Pack rules - Page 33) as an example:

The Special Rules for Operation Cobra state:

"Air rules are in effect: The Air Sortie cards are set aside and not used in this mission. The Allied airplane is a P40. This P40 starts the game airborne, flying over Allied lines; it must thus be activated during the first turn, or will fly off the board at game start"

Several questions:

1. Does the Axis player (Germany) get an airplane in this scenario or is it limited to the Allies only?

2. Assuming the answer to 1 is Yes, then presumably the guidance on Airplane selection is referenced (Air Pack rules - Page 4) to determine which Airplane the Axis player could use (i.e. Storch or Me109 in this case)

3. (Assuming the answer to 1 is Yes again) As Air Sortie cards are set aside in this scenario, I'm guessing the only way the Axis player could bring his selected airplane into the game (or the Allied player bring his airplane back into the game if removed from the board) would be via the 'Air Power' command card when drawn from the deck? (or a Recon 1 card (when Air Strikes and Blitz rules are in effect for example) ... not the case for the Operation Cobra scenario however...)

4. If the Axis player is allowed an Airplane in this scenario am I to assume that for all scenarios where a specific airplane is stated for one player but not the other that both players still get to use airplanes unless specifically stated that one side cannot use airplanes?

And finally...

5. In cases where a 'Recon 1' card can be used does this include the Recon card that allows 1 unit in each section to be ordered or only 1 unit in a particular section? I'm guessing it does include these but want to make sure that is definitely the case.

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1) The Germans would get a plane if they happened to find and play the Air Power cards, which would be played as an Air Sortie since Air Rules are in effect.

2) Correct.

3) Exactly. The slight changes in the Scenario setup (i.e. no Sorties) is what allows for customization of the Air rule and a more historical setting.

4) Yes.

5) No. The "Recon 1" is only desginating the Recon cards where you order one unit. The "Recon in Force" is, in essence, a "Recon 3." The reason they call out a Recon ONE is to distinguish it from this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent - thanks for the responses ColtsFan and for clearing up my misinterpretation of the Recon 1 ruling!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.