Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb

250pts Republic vs Sith

Squad building restrictions: Maximum character cost of 25 points.

Map: Kashyyyk by JediCartographers

The contest took around an hour and a half to play but with combat quite restrained. Both of us played a coy game of movement but I, playing Republic, had the advantage of several characters with Stealth, Clone commandos and Wookiee Scoundrel.

Playing the Meta. One of my favourite characters is, hardcore Star Wars fans look away, Jar Jar Binks. And I love the way his mini has been produced. But I also know that my opponent not only hates Jar Jar with a passion but cannot stand the Bombad Gungan ability. As soon as I placed Jar Jar on the map I saw his eyes roll. Psychological advantage me. But hey, I like the character I want to play him, I don't complain when he plays Thrawn or Mara Jade. Anyway, I made a movement error and left Jar Jar a target with only allies nearby, I made the Bombad save and my opponent took out my clone Trooper Sniper, damn, I was trying to keep him safe, Jar Jar, grrr..! so I charge up Jar Jar. Now the fun begins my opponent tries to out manoeuvre the annoying Gungan. Then I move Jar Jar adjacent to his Twi'lek Vigo, with at least 6 other characters of his within Bombad range. He decides he needs to get rid of Jar Jar, but Jar Jar makes the save only for my mate to then roll a Critical +Opportunist hit against his own character! I tried not to, I even apologised, but I had to laugh.

Eventually I was able to defeat his tougher characters, 4-LOM and Jarael while still having my top characters in play, Bossk Bounty Hunter, Ki-Adi-Mundi & the Clone Commando's. Bossk was also benefiting from double Flame-Thrower thanks to Captain Tarpals Command Effect. With the game stacked heavily in my favour now, despite rolling three 1's in a row at one point, I had won the skirmish.

Review of the game.
We both still like the 25pt max format but, as with the regular format, some Factions are stronger than others. Sith especially struggle as they have no low cost unique characters.

Sith also lack characters with Accurate shot, while the Republic has Sev who is possibly the best non-unique accurate shooter in the game. The Sith player did include the Jawa Scout, but Accurate shot is no good if you still don't have the Attack score to hit your target.

Stealth. While I had not chosen to go the Super-Stealth option (because it is something I don't like to face myself) the Clone Commando's were solid in preventing my squad being charged down by the Dark Side Adepts.

Melee. Okay, every Session report I comment on Melee being weaker than non-melee. But my opponent insists on fielding Melee squads... what can I do?!

Personally I don't like a single gimmick squad, and my squad today is the perfect example of how I play this game. I had Stealth shooters, a couple of Melee beatsticks (in comparison to the games point restrictions), a couple of Uniques, a couple of commanders and characters that I like (Bossk, Jar Jar & Chewbacca). My squad could have been better but maybe my comfort and enjoyment of the characters I played helped me in this game, my opponent did seem a little uncomfortable with his squad.

And the most important thing of this or any other game is to have fun.

150pt Sith vs Old Republic

Squad restrictions: Single Commander

Sith
Darth Bane
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo (Commander)
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Whiphid Tracker
Jawa Scout
IG-86

Old Republic
Nomi Sunrider (Commander)
Cade Skywalker
Master Lucien Dray

This was just a quick skirmish to finish the night.
Not a lot to say about this one. Activation control to the Sith was the decider.

IG-86 hits Cade with Opportunist for 30 damage.
Darth Bane assaults & defeats Cade.
Initiative to Sith, Darth Bane rages & assaults Lucien for 100 damage, Lucien fails Block saves.
Old Republic player concedes he cannot inflict enough damage on Bane and that his previous move with Cade had been a mistake as he'd forgot Bane had Master of the Force 2 allowing the move and assault.
Game Over.

Conclusion
Know your opponents stats.

Snoogins. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hoang
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just wanted to let you know that I greatly appreciate the sessions that you put up here.

BGG is the only place that my work filter lets through, so I can't catch up on SMWGamers or the WOTC forums. I can't even fiddle with my Bloomilk collection.

Your sessions are about the only infusion of SWM that I can get during the work day.

So again, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your kind words.
Although I am running out of original ideas for session reports. So I'll probably now only do the ones where we run different or interesting formats.

I don't just want to type up, 'My Boba rolled a 16...' etc every week or I'll end up sounding like Rimmer in Red Dwarf telling his Risk story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.