Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I recently acquired from a friend statis pro baseball and the top teams expansion box. problem is I have a very basic understanding of baseball to start with and even less of one for the abbreviations and terminology used in the game. It looks to be straight forward if you understand the lingo but im finding it hard work and the rules are intended for people who understand baseball. So anyone know if there are any places i can go or docs i can dowload to get up to speed.
For instance the rules say pick your line up. Is a line up 9 players plus pitchers or 9 players total?. help help help. Also how do you know which player is on which base at any given time and how are the player cards etc used in the context of the game. It seems very very vague. Im not stupid I cracked up front without to much trouble just need a little help here please all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to learn something about baseball for this to make sense.

What's in a "lineup" depends on the league, for example. In the NL, it's just 9 players in the order they'll batter, usually with the pitcher hitting 9th (that's not a rule, but common since he's usually the worst hitter). In the AL, it's 9 players in the field with a 10th as a designated hitter, who will hit for the pitcher. In the AL, you put your hitters wherever you like.

But you're not going to know what "hit & run" is used for if you don't know something about baseball. Or a "SAC".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the baseball board games that I've seem assume that you already have a firm understanding of the rules of baseball and how it's played.

So, in addition to the game's instructions, which assume that you understand baseball, you'll need basic baseball references.

Here are a couple:

www.spiritus-temporis.com/simplified-baseball-rules/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Baseball_Rules (skip the first part and start at 'General Structure').

Also, you'll have to ask questions. I'll try to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you need to know such things as if you pinch hit for the DH, you can no longer use a DH. But beyond that, most of the rules you need to know are in the game results themselves. You can also buy new editions of the teams that are an improvement over what was originally released. I bought my first Statis Pro baseball when it was a one man outfit out of Iowa I think it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to start with the basic rules and learn those well before you go to the special rules like using squeeze plays, sacrifice bunts, etc. If I can be of any help, geekmail me! I'm fairly knowledgeable about baseball. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the VERY same question about the lineup. In my copy of the rules it never actually says how many players are in the lineup. I guess it just assumes it's common knowledge for anyone playing this game. (Which it is not, since I haven't followed baseball in 30 years.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's me.

It's been posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.