United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this seems to be a recurring theme:
ALGO wrote:
Turn order is a concern for me - the choice of race/power at the beginning is random, and the first player will get the best option every time, since the payment of 1-5 vps is a small price for the best option considering winning scores are over 100pts

The turn order also remains the same throughout - over eight turns the benefit of the last move is reduced, especially since all your opponents will have scored their points before your last move anyway so you cannot impact on their scoring no matter what you do - so you just take the easiest route to victory points rather than bashing your opponents. Shame.

I'm sure it's possible to work out a balancing device, but to do so would be complex - and the variable numbers of turns in different games do not lend themselves to a revolving start player.

It's a minor concern at the moment, but I thought I'd be up front about it.

And I'm wondering if one possible solution would be to have a varying turn order. On the first turn, the last player to pick a race would be the first player to take a turn, and turn order would go backwards to the first to pick being last to play. Then subsequent turns would be played in order from the player with the least to most points.

This would require the re-introduction of open scoring, but might it solve some of the play balance issues? I'm sure someone will say this re-introduces the "bash the leader" "problem", but in my opinion that wasn't so much removed as obfuscated, and in moderation it can be of itself a game balancing element.

So does anyone think this would help to alleviate some concerns, or maybe see a variation that would work better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't mess up the turn order until I recognized that the starting player may have a significant advantage. As Small World is very interactive, meaning you can harm someone's plans directly, every obvious advantage will get negated by the opponents.

The advantage to enter the board first could turn out very quick as the opposite because the following players can attack you before you'll attack them.

What made Vinci so great was, that you didn't need always the best race combination to win it. You needed a lot of player diplomacy and subtleness to win. In Small World, even more with hidden scoring, you'll need the subtleness again. Being starting player makes you a target right from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I have only read the rules and have not played the game.

I agree there is an advantage in choosing your race first, and if you feel there is also one in playing first, it should make no harm to reverse the race selection order. But I don't see the point in messing with turn order during the game. Since each player scores after his own turn, there aren't actual rounds, just an unbroken sequence of player turns. The rounds are just a convenient way to track the game end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have only read the rules, but am looking forward to the game being available in the States...

Like others, I'll have to see the starting player consistently winning to change anything... but perhaps simply taking away the first player's starting coins would help? They still might get a nice combo... but its not guaranteed. And even if they do they'll be starting 5 points in the hole and will have to play well to make it up (I've seen some pretty close scores posted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game and won eventhough I was not the starting player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If players think the start player has an advantage then they should make that player a priority when deciding who to invade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what about "passing" the first player each turn to the next player (at the beginnig of a new turn)? I'm thinking about it... maybe I'll test it some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone on another thread mentioned the following idea:

Before the first player selects a race, the player who will be choosing last is permitted to re-arrange the first five races (without changing the race/power pairings).

An alternative is: before anyone selects a race, each player, beginning with the player who will play first, re-arranges the first five races.

A rule like this avoids having the first player get a high-powered combination for free (Underworld Giants, Spirit Trolls, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorg Zoetebier
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
elcoderdude wrote:
Someone on another thread mentioned the following idea:

Before the first player selects a race, the player who will be choosing last is permitted to re-arrange the first five races (without changing the race/power pairings).

A rule like this avoids having the first player get a high-powered combination for free (Underworld Giants, Spirit Trolls, etc.)

This is how i would play it though i would let each player other than the start player, starting with the second player move one race/power combination up/down (as many places as they want). So with 4 players, there could be at max 3 movements. This would give the game a fair start, without feeling too "setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.