Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Roth
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I have a question regarding drift + forward movement.

According to my read of the instructions (fragor games edition), each movement across a black track line uses up a 'forward movement' point.

Likewise, each movement across a blue line uses up a 'drift movement' point.

My question arises for the case in which squares are not aligned/spaces overlap; for example, consider the 'examples of drift movement' drawings on page 4 of the rules.

My take is:
'spaces touching diagonally': uses 1 forward, 1 drift point
'spaces overlap (left side)': uses 0 forward, 1 drift point
'spaces overlap (right side)': uses 1 forward, 1 drift point

Note also the example, on p.8 -- 'example of drifting on a corner', it appears that the drifts use up 'forward movement' points.

It seems to me that anytime the 'start lines' line up, it counts as a drift point only, and anytime the 'start line on the target space' is ahead of the 'start line on the current space', it counts as both a forward and drift point.

What do you think?

Thanks
-Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're over-thinking it. All movement is forward, and counts for 1 forward. Sometimes, you drift to the left or right when doing so, to match the drift count you need.

Essentially, a drift is a diagonal move, but the amount varies because some of the spaces overlap on the tiles.

The example on page 3 is move 3, but 2 of the 3 must be drift. So they drift, move, drift. There is no overlap spaces in this example, so each drift move is a full diagonal move.

The "spaces overlap" examples on page 4 show how a drift still moves you forward, a tiny bit on the left example, a lot on the right, because it's a corner.

The page 8 example shows he has to move 6, 2 of the 6 must be drift. So he: 1) moves, 2) drifts, 3) drifts, 4) moves, 5) moves, 6) moves to fulfil his requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Roth
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, Steve -- I agree with you. That makes a lot more sense.

-Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalvin McBride
United States
Kendallville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying. I was a little confused when I played with my friends but we were a lighter group, more interested in having fun than winning. Still, I was glad to see this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric levrard
France
flag msg tools
Hi Guys,

I'm still confused with this type of movement... in the example: "Drifting on a corner", if the guy count 4 moves, 1 of it must be 1 drift : is that means that whether he counts it he do not reach the same case?

1)moves, 2)drifts, 3)moves, 4)moves

or

1)moves, 2)moves, 3)moves, 4)drifts

Considerin a case and a side of it, you can have an overlap with 1,2,3 or 4 cases... what cases can you choose when you want to drift?

thank you for clarify it to me (and thank you to accept my poor english language!)

best regards

Oliver78

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
oliver78 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm still confused with this type of movement... in the example: "Drifting on a corner", if the guy count 4 moves, 1 of it must be 1 drift : is that means that whether he counts it he do not reach the same case?

1)moves, 2)drifts, 3)moves, 4)moves

or

1)moves, 2)moves, 3)moves, 4)drifts

Considerin a case and a side of it, you can have an overlap with 1,2,3 or 4 cases... what cases can you choose when you want to drift?

thank you for clarify it to me (and thank you to accept my poor english language!)

best regards

Oliver78

In your example as long as the player drifted one space at any time during his 4 movements then he's ok. The trick to how many times you HAVE to drift is potential obstacles such as other players, trees, and even the edge of the track. Further, since you must drift in the direction of the higher numbered/stronger dog it makes this decision is tougher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric levrard
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answer but that's not exactly a strategy point but more a rule point:

when a case is adjacent to many case (1,2,3or 4 - considering one side) what case I can (have the right to) choose to do the following movements:

- a move + a drift.

or

-a drift only (move already done).

thank for help

regads

Oliver78

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric. It's hard to understand your question, I don't think "case" has the correct english meaning. By case, are you referring to the sleds, or the squares on the board?

Post your question again en fran├žais and I think I can fully understand it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A drift is not a separate action. It is a feature of some forward moves.

Your speed is the number of forward moves you make. Each of the forward moves is either:

(1) Straight forward
(2) Forward and drift left
(3) Forward and drift right

Of the forward moves you make, a number equal to your drift must be of type (2) or type (3), depending on which dog is stronger. If you have a balanced sled, all the moves must be of type (1).

If you are drifting, and your drift number is less than your speed, you get to choose which of the forward moves has drift. Thus, if you have speed 4 and drift 1 to the right, you have four options:

(3) - (1) - (1) - (1) or
(1) - (3) - (1) - (1) or
(1) - (1) - (3) - (1) or
(1) - (1) - (1) - (3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.