United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Battle of Gazala, Knightsbridge: This was my first play of a desert scenario. The North Africa rules really change the feel of battle, especially for this scenario. The slightly outnumbered, but fast German force looks to be well set with their three artillery units. The battle moved very awkwardly as both sides received orders for the center and lots of infantry only cards. Not the most exciting tank battle possible. The 23rd Panzer closed with the 2nd Armor. The Allied tanks did some heavy damage but failed to eliminate any units. The Germans did not face the same problem and the elite armor steamrolled through the line and racked up an impressive four banners! The 15th Panzer played clean up and eliminated one more units for the victory.

Axis 5 - Allies 0

Battle of Gazala, Knightsbridge: A complete change from the last attempt. This time the 15th Panzer pushed forward hoping to quickly eliminate the 4th armor. Unfortunately, the Allies hit with a devastating air attack, completely eliminating the artillery unit and weakening the armor. Still, the Germans decided to push up the 21st, as high command seemed to feel the 15th Panzer was safe for the moment. In response, the 4th armor tore the German units to pieces, quickly overrunning their position to take four banners. Now heavily crippled, there was little left for them to do, but charge! However, the Germans missed all of their attacks and the 2nd Armor claimed a medal for the victory. The Allies lost only two figures this whole battle. It seems that the scenario is decided by the outcome of the first contact. Whichever side gains the initial upperhand will most likely win this one.

Allies 5 - Axis 0

Market Garden, Njmegen Bridges: An interesting setup that uses a lot of terrain. The Allied pontoon troops pushed to the river to get across as quickly as possible. However, high command deemed just sitting in the river was probably all they needed to do and they did not receive any additional orders for a long time. Most of the fighting came in the center as the Allies pushed towards Valkof Fortress. The Axis response was especially fierce and they made the Allies pay dear for the advance. They were able eliminate the outlying troops and the armor made a push for the bridge. The tanks held the bridge for a couple of turns but they could not stand up the constant fire from the nearby German infantry. The battle turned to Fort Hof Van Holland where the weakened German infantry valiantly fought their attackers and forced them into a rout.

Axis 6 - Allies 4

Market Garden, Nijmegen Bridges: The Allies opened with an air attack on Fort Hof Van Holland in the hopes to weaken the fortress making for an easier advance. Again, most of the fighting was around Nijmegen, but this time the Allies played much more cautiously. They slowly advanced focusing on one city at a time, clearing them out to make the advance easier. The pontoon troops were then thrown forward hoping to catch the Germans with their attention elsewhere. After a very bloody battle, that ate through the Axis command, the Germans gained the upper hand, but not before they lost unit. Continuing the heavy battle in the center, the Big Guns began focusing on picking off the deep weakened allied units. Unfortunately, command did not supply them with enough ammunition and they failed to activate as often as they needed. The Allies were then able to make a push and take the rail bridge for the victory.

Allies 6 - Axis 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of Gazala, Knightsbridge. I actually liked this scenario, but not for solo play. I had played it solo and liked it, but when I played with my nephew it was a very tense affair with a lot of cautious movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.