Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m a great fan of LotR the board game and have been playing it avidly for the past two months (always solitaire controlling 3 Hobbits, which works very well for me). After my initial problems because I had overlooked some important points in the rules, I was saved by watching Grudunza’s videos. I still have to manage to beat the game, but I’m not too keen on trying the “rush the main activity line”-approach as I really want to broaden my experience. Without rushing, I got as far as 2 stops from Mount Doom and then lost, but, hey, it’s all about the journey, isn’t it?
Anyways, now I have Friends and Foes and tried it out yesterday.
The box is nice, the artwork is great (John Howe, what can I say), I thought the stickers were a bit, well... Maybe adding a new master board would have been nice, but since I don’t know anything about production costs, I won’t pursue this point.
So, I dealt all my cards to my 3 favourite Hobbits, we did not do the “Roll die and get 4 cards” preparation step in Hobbiton and set out. And, oh boy, did Bree hammer us. And it was NOT the Foes who overcame us, but it was one sundial after another, in fact the first 4 tiles out of the bag were sundials. Noone had any shields, so we couldn’t summon Gandalf to help us either. Pippin got corrupted and ran straight into Sauron (who had been advancing like there was no tomorrow).
To cut a long story short, we managed to get out of Bree, reached Rivendell and then, in Moria, Sauron swallowed us whole, the 2 remaining Friends got taken by him in the blink of an eye. Again, the first 3 tiles were sundials, some bad rolling happened as well. And there you have it...
So, what we need to do today is pack those backpacks again, steel ourselves for the road ahead and try again, for try we must.

All in all: Great game, I’m glad I got this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kallisto wrote:
Without rushing, I got as far as 2 stops from Mount Doom and then lost, but, hey, it’s all about the journey, isn’t it?

That's loser talk !

j/k

Quote:
I thought the stickers were a bit, well... Maybe adding a new master board would have been nice, but since I don’t know anything about production costs, I won’t pursue this point.

I don't really mind them. At least they're clear other than the circles, so they don't cover any of the original text/images under them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
No preparations?
Rolling corruption sucks but when you get the blank or discard 2 sides of the die it's well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.