Subject: Charge Orders and LOS obstacles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have encountered the same situation in both of my recent solitaire games. A unit occupying a hex which is an LOS obstacle (woods, village) is being charged and moves or retreats to the hex behind the obstacle. Now the charger cannot 'see' the target unit and is forced to instead charge another unit off on the horizon on one of the flanks. The only legal way to enter the obstacle hex under Charge orders is to use other friendly units to deliberately block the LOS to other enemy units. Yet the charger 'knows' that the target unit is there because it is not allowed to move into the obstacle hex if it switch orders to 'Make Ready'.

Is there a case for yet another change to the Charge rules to say that a charging unit which is not adjacent to an enemy can always elect to move towards a unit two hexes away regardless of LOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just flat-out fudge the rules here rather than try to come up with proper amendments to the rules as written. I totally understand what Ben's trying to do with the Charge/LOS restrictions, but I've seen several occasions where they just don't make sense. Do what you think is reasonable and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main issue is that LOS should be quite different for artillery fire (where the rule is introduced) and orders (which slightly modifies LOS to ignore friendly units).

I would have hedges and the like NOT block LOS for Charge purposes.

Without some sort of modification like this, Marston Moor (for example) becomes almost unplayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
I would have hedges and the like NOT block LOS for Charge purposes.

But that doesn't quite work either. If the enemy starts the scenario behind a hedge and your units don't know they're there, then it doesn't make sense that they're going to go charging the hedgerow. But if those same enemy units were just in sight a moment ago and then backed up behind the hedge, it's not like your dudes are going to think the enemy just disappeared into thin air.

You get the same problems with crest lines - the enemy is there one minute, gone the next, and then your chargers (by the rules) change course and start careening around the battlefield.

Better just to take the rule with a grain of salt, IMO. It's usually pretty clear what a reasonable course of action for the unit would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a ruling from Dick Vohlers on this business of invisible units two hexes away. Not sure if it will stand up when Ben considers it, but anyway......

"I'm going to make a ruling on this, subject to being overruled by Ben. Change the first sentence of 5.6.2 to read: 5.6.2 MAKE READY: A unit under Make Ready Orders may move, but may NOT move adjacent to an enemy unit that it can see before entering the hex adjacent to it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.