Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We decided to play Roads and Boats last night. I've only played two player games in the past and was looking forward to my first four player match. We were supposed to have a 7pm start but by the time everyone arrived and sat down to play it was close to 9pm.

The map "Rowing" was decided upon as two of the four were newbies while the other two have only a few plays under their belts and haven't played in months.

On one side of the board was Kris(krismoulton) and Mo. On the other side was Caleb(Balthus_Dire) and myself. Anyone that has played with Balthus Dire knows that he is a fierce player no matter what game he plays and you can never take him lightly. That's why I put him on my side of the board. Give the newbies a bit of a reprieve.

We started to get our economic engines going but it wasn't long before the sharing of resources started to happen. Balthus Dire came and with a donkey and loaded some brick at factory I had built which was okay and expected. It was Mo who surprised Kris by walling off the brick factory Kris had built using the excess of brick laying around the factory. As every new R&B player finds out fast, it's not your resource or factory, it's everyones and anyones.

Soon after both sides of the board began filling up with walls, except for Balthus Dire's end of the board as he built all his walls on Mo and Kris's coast line preventing them from docking their ships. Only four mines were built the entire game with no extra mine shafts being added. This could be due to the scenario as all mountain tiles are accessible only by boat.

Fuel was also in shortage at first with only one Oil Rig being built by Mo. Then we all remembered that we there was a Coal Burner. What better way to use all the trunks that had begun to pile up.

Balthus Dire was not on his best game last night as parental fatigue dimmed his usual brilliant gaming senses. Some rule forgetting and logistical missteps hurt him a bit. I took a much needed gold from a Balthus Dire built mine. Including the one he expropriated Balthus was left with only three gold. Enough for one coin. I had four gold now, enough for two coins. Meanwhile Kris and Mo had one coin each between the two of them.

Balthus Dire built a late game mine giving him the much needed fourth gold. In two turns he would have a stock. I was at least two turns away from making a stock myself but Balthus had a mine that could with two gold left to be produced. I decided it was in my best interest to speed up the game by adding a lot of blocks to the wonder with Mo helping out.

The game ended after four and a half hours. The scores were broken down as follows;

d10-1Me 44(wonder), 80(2 coins) =124
d10-2Mo 49(wonder), 40(1 coin) =89
d10-3Balthus Dire 34(wonder), 40(4 gold) =74
d10-4Kris 7(wonder), 60(1 coin,2 gold) =67

The scores seem low but maybe that is typical of the map. We spent a lot of time and resources on walls and tearing down walls. All in all it was a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.