Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Glory to Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bath + Multiple Patrons + Aquaduct: Another rules clarification please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noreen Walsh-Esrey
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us say a player has a bath and 2 patron clients. He leads patron. His patron takes a craftsman, who finishes the aquaduct. Is the aquaduct immediately active, allowing his remaining two patrons to also pull from his hand?
The more I think of it, the more I think I should have allowed Joe to immediately pull new patrons from his hand, but in the game, I insisted no. I don't think it would have affected the outcome of the game, but I'm curious. Especially as he pulls this combo a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buildings become active immediately upon completion, so I would side with Joe.
In general, when the question about Glory to Rome takes the form, "Can building x do awesome thing y?" the answer is almost always yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
In general, when the question about Glory to Rome takes the form, "Can building x do awesome thing y?" the answer is almost always yes.

laugh

Just echoing Mark here.... Buildings' powers do indeed become available the second they are completed and can be applied immediately. Because of this, the order in which one completes several buildings in a single turn can matter quite a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Buildings become active immediately upon completion, so I would side with Joe.

That pretty much sums up Glory to Rome. Once this building is finished can it somehow kick the living crap out of me? Then it must be a legal play. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen Walsh-Esrey
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:

I shall have to embroider that on a pillow.
Oh, well, on his next turn he finished the garden and took 37 patron actions in a row while I stared in awe.
I was only able to stop him by grabbing the last in town site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zingor1066 wrote:
Oh, well, on his next turn he finished the garden and took 37 patron actions in a row while I stared in awe.
I was only able to stop him by grabbing the last in town site.

laugh laugh laugh

Occasionally Glory to Rome can become quite silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typhon wrote:

The real problem there, it sounds like, was that the player was not ending the game while winning. Some people cannot seem to understand that you are supposed to actually win the game rather than belabor everyone else with watching you continue building up pointlessy, until the game runs out or someone "stops" you.

I have gotten several wins from people forgetting they are supposed to win the game rather than drag out their apparent victory.

Yes, it's sad to end the game when you want to do something exciting, but it's also quite rude to waste people's time on narcissism. Get on with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen Walsh-Esrey
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
Typhon wrote:

The real problem there, it sounds like, was that the player was not ending the game while winning.

Nope. I will admit that sometimes, in a two player game, I will not end the game just because I'm curious about what's going to happen. In this particular instance, however, I was unable to end it earlier (even though I was well ahead) because I couldn't get a concrete building into my hand to use the last site.

Actually, even after that, I was certain I could still beat him with my vault and stockpile (I had a wall), so we decided to continue, but keep any new points separate. Turned out I had miscounted the Forums that had ended in the pool, because on the next turn he used the first of his first 13 craft actions to finish a Forum with one marble (scriptorium).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe E.
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
Typhon wrote:

The real problem there, it sounds like, was that the player was not ending the game while winning. Some people cannot seem to understand that you are supposed to actually win the game rather than belabor everyone else with watching you continue building up pointlessy, until the game runs out or someone "stops" you.

I have gotten several wins from people forgetting they are supposed to win the game rather than drag out their apparent victory.

Yes, it's sad to end the game when you want to do something exciting, but it's also quite rude to waste people's time on narcissism. Get on with it.

I was the other player in this specific case, and I was never actually ahead on points; I'd have gone and won if I could.

As it happened, when she led Craftsman I Thought (since I'd emptied my hand with all the Patroning the turn before), with the intention of using the thirteen Craftsman clients I now had to build whatever advantageous Building I got into my Hand, and as it turned out I drew the last Forum in the deck, plus a couple other purple cards I could finish it with (as she notes above, I needed only one). I therefore would indeed have won the game there had she not taken the last in-town Concrete, but since she did she won, since she had more points. There was never a time in this game when I had more than her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.