Subject: Geek of the Week #187 - " jtspecial " rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a blast thanks all, I played 14 games this week so 2 a day seems like a nice geeky #. Heroecape is what brought me here so I am giving the next GW award to the biggest Scaper around here. Jesper is in Charge of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY HEROSCAPERS - as such he has become the GW --

Jesper - jtspecial

"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

FROM HUMBLE BEGINNINGS...

I was born to descendants of vikings in the summer of 1970, and grew up in a small town called Viborg. (The town name dates back to the aforementioned vikings and means holy mountain, although it´s actually more of a very small hill! Denmark is a rather flat country!) My childhood consisted of family raids to the shores of foreign countries and very basic boardgaming, nothing fancy really...

FAST FORWARD THROUGH THE NEXT 30+ YEARS...

The first really big gaming experience i recall was Stratego. I really loved that game back in the early 80s. (I even made my own version, before my parrents were persuaded to fork over the cash for a real copy). And then, when I saw ET in the cinema, I was totally absorbed by the short scene where the boys are playing Dungeons&Dragons, and even read the ET novel, rereading many times the passage where they play, trying to get as much info as possible about this fantastic game. It was a great sadness to me that games like this were not (yet!) available to buy anywhere around where I lived...
Over the next few years I experimented a lot with small scale miniatures and components stolen from other games to make my own fantasy stuff. None of this has survived, which is probably for the better, but it did have the effect, that when the fantasy-adventure, you´re the hero, type books came out a few years later ( Remember the Warlock of Firetop Mountain?), I was REALLY ready for it and eventually branched into roleplaying games.
I played these a lot during the last half of the 80s and the first half of the 90s, whereafter my interest slowly faded out. In 1990 I bought Space Hulk, my first forray into "hobby-gaming", and soon turned to Warhammer 40k. For an entire decade my gaming was almost GW exclusive, spanning games like Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, space Hulk, Blood Bowl, EPIC, Necromunda, Gorkamorka, Mordheim and so on, until about 5 years ago, when a few things happened...
I met my girlfriend, who is a compulsive gamer, she introduced me to Settlers and I bought Doom, the boardgame. Having a gaming girlfriend led me to revisiting some old, but looong unplayed favourites, like Space Hulk and Blood Bowl, while Settlers and mainly DOOM led me to the internet, eventually leading me to Boardgamegeek, which opened an entire new world of gaming possibilities for me, and has since become a very time consuming passtime in itself!
My girlfriend and I host a weekly semi-open game night!

PROFESSIONAL LIFE AND PERSONAL STUFF...

I work at a club for kids aged 10 to 14 and have introduced a lot of new games that I like, so I won´t have to play the childrens games and "classic" family games, that are usually found at clubs like that. Current favourites include Carcassonne, Ticket to ride, Citadels, Ca$h ´n Gun$, BANG!, Heroscape and Doom.
The kids, as well as my coworkers, have really gotten into these games, and I know there has been games under a lot of christmas trees in the last few years...

I compulsively express myself creatively/artistically, and if you´ve seen me around on the Geek, it might be because of some of the pictures I´ve uploaded of games I´ve "improved" with 3d components and painted pieces... I´m also the founder of the League of Extraordinary Heroscapers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 2 truths and 1 lie.

-Denmark is a small country, so I both went to highschool, and served in the military, with the prince of Denmark. (Not the crown prince, but his younger brother.)

-In my youth I worked as an apprentice to danish desiner Jacob Jensen, who is the only dane to have some of his works exhibited in the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

-This very month, I own exactly the last 20 years worth of Games Workshop´s White Dwarf magazine.

SOme Questions to start:

Best things to see in 3 days in your country as a tourist?

How did you get into Heroscape?

What is your favorite heroscape ( not marvel ) custom?

What is your favorie 1/2 hour game for 2 people? for 4?

What are the 3 games you would most like to get right now if $ and getting them was not an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is your winner! Congrats!

Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Big congrats Jesper. Another great gotw choice. Well done!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

So how long have you been Heroscaping? How hard is it to get Heroscape modules over there? Are they available retail or do you have to order them. My primary experience with Heroscape is that the Fortress of Archkyrie was on sale here a while ago, so I helped someone in England get about 8 of them shipped over to him so that he could build some monster castles. He had to order everything from the US which is why I'm wondering how easy it is for you to get them.

So the next question, where do you store it all? What percentage of your games played are Heroscape vs. other games. Have you gone through a phase where it's been nothing but Heroscape?

I see that you've gotten your girlfriend to play Battlelore. She's a keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Jesper,

Leave it to Hendal to pick a Cigar Smoker as GoTW.

Which cigar is best for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great choice for Geek of the Week. Looking forward to your answers in the coming week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spectacular! Colossal! Stupendous!

It's a good choice for GOTW!

We need more slavering scarlet insectoids as GOTW.

My Question: SrategoScape - Has it's time come?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jesper, and enjoy your week in the geeky sun.

You have a rather unusual distribution of ratings for games - care to share your rating philosophy?

I believe the prince story. I think the Jensen thing is the lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, holy awesomeness, someone I know! I'll take a break from my BGG pause, just to ask you a couple of questions:

1. I myself was born and lived for a long time (near/) in Flensbourg (Tarp to be precise). We passed Viborg many times on our way to Norway, but never stopped. What did we miss? Is there something particularly spectular about Viborg?
2. When checking out your collection, I see you are an expansion aficionado (probably half your game collection?). But where is the mother of all expansion games, Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)? Have you tried it? Is it the lack of (plastic) miniatures, which turns you off?
3. I was surprised by your '3' for Space Crusade. What is it that you do not like about it?
4. Have you watched Watchmen? Is it worth going?
5. What European comics (e.g. Asterix, Valhalla, Sky Doll,...) are you reading?
6. If you could sit down with Jack Kirby to play a game, which one would it be (you're allowed to talk about comics during the game, of course)? If you could ask up to three more historic/famous people (dead or alive) to join you, who would you ask, and what would you play?

Congratulations!!!! Enjoy your week. And drop by the Comics Guild from time to time.

P.S./Edit: I guess third one (GW magazines) is a lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Christian Kirketerp
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stort tillykke (big congrats)

What upcoming games are you looking the most forward to?

Have a fun week!

I believe number 2 is a lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
Weee a danish GotW!
And what a great choice to represent our small country. Now the whole world will think we are a nation of humorous, polite and heroscaping individuals.

I think the WD statement is a lie. I think White Dwarf must have been very hard to come by 20 years ago in the boardgame wasteland known as Denmark

Enjoy your week of geeky fame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to you, Jesper! Enjoy your week.

Even though I consider myself a 'Copenhagener', I am nevertheless born in Viborg. Don't know the first thing about the town, though.

A couple of questions:

1. If you could only ever play three games from your collection, which three games would you choose?
2. Which game publisher do you consider the most promising these days?
3. Since the Force is strong in me, I sense a liking for plastic components in you. But in general, how important to you is the presence of components with a nice, tactile feel? Any examples of games you think you possibly liked less than you might have because of the absence of such components? Any examples of games where the presence of such components lifted the game from so-so to enjoyable for you?

Have fun! Btw, I think your story #1 is the lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Well chosen GotW.

I am a big fan of descent, but recently I have been playing RTL quite a bit and I now I'm not sure if I like RtL. Do you find it has the longevity over the entire campaign to warrant playing?

Do you like any traditional board wargames (basically those with counters)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
I had a blast thanks all, I played 14 games this week so 2 a day seems like a nice geeky #. Heroecape is what brought me here so I am giving the next GW award to the biggest Scaper around here. Jesper is in Charge of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY HEROSCAPERS - as such he has become the GW --

Jesper - jtspecial

SOme Questions to start:

1)Best things to see in 3 days in your country as a tourist?

2)How did you get into Heroscape?

3)What is your favorite heroscape ( not marvel ) custom?

4)What is your favorie 1/2 hour game for 2 people? for 4?

5)What are the 3 games you would most like to get right now if $ and getting them was not an issue?

Thanks everybody, and an extra special BIG thanks to Tom, for choosing me for GotW!

1)Denmark is a small flat country, with no raging rivers or soaring mountains, but it has some beautifull countryside to see. You should be aware that the country is so small and densely populated, that you would be hard pressed to find anywhere in the country that´s more than 50 kilometers from the sea, and/or 5 kilomoters away from the nearest house or village church!
Many of our cities are a 1000 years+ old, and still bear evidence of this in their infrastructure and so on, and since I´m more interested in history and architecture, I´d probably recommend visiting some of these cities, like Copenhagen, Aarhus (where I live), Aalborg, Ribe or Odense, over the more traditional touristy stuff, like the little mermaid! You should probably see LEGO land too! I know there are other LEGO lands around the world, but the one in Denmark is the original!

2) I´m ashamed to admit that I originally wrote it off as a kiddie game, and only bought it when it was on sale, and only after reading through all the reviews here on the Geek. But I soon fell in love with the simple, colourfull goodnatured FUN of the game, and became slightly obsessed with getting all the expansions!

3) I don´t think I have one. The only customs I play, are superheroes...

4)Difficult choice... I play things for periods at a time, and then let them rest for a while, then return with renewed interest... I tend to favour colourfull games that tell a story over purely abstract ones, but most of these tend to take a little longer to play. For those fast games, I relly like Ticket to Ride or Carcassone. I have played these games so many times that there´s no mental downtime any longer...

5) A complete set of mint condition Heroquest expansions, Shogun/Samurai swords, and Ambush!
If money was really not an issue, I would get mr Borg to develop a Samurai version of the C&C system...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Congrats!

So how long have you been Heroscaping? How hard is it to get Heroscape modules over there? Are they available retail or do you have to order them. My primary experience with Heroscape is that the Fortress of Archkyrie was on sale here a while ago, so I helped someone in England get about 8 of them shipped over to him so that he could build some monster castles. He had to order everything from the US which is why I'm wondering how easy it is for you to get them.

I´ve been playing for 3 years these days.
Apart from the first Master set, no Heroscape what-so-ever has been available in stores. I´ve ordered all of mine from at least 4 different countries, on 2 different continents!

autumnweave wrote:
So the next question, where do you store it all? What percentage of your games played are Heroscape vs. other games. Have you gone through a phase where it's been nothing but Heroscape?

I see that you've gotten your girlfriend to play Battlelore. She's a keeper.

We don´t have that much space in our appartment, so I´ve had to be a bit creative with storage... A few games are in the living room, but these days, most of it is in the "walk-in game closet"!

Not only does she play BattleLore, but almost any other games I like too... In fact, one of the only games she absolutely hates, is Shadows over Camelot, go figure!

But she´s a keeper all right, and expected to deliver our first child this summer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
Hi Jesper,

Leave it to Hendal to pick a Cigar Smoker as GoTW.

Which cigar is best for you?

He!

I haven´t smoked a cigar in years, and the one in the picture you refer to was never lit...

The "Brandy" is actually cold coffee...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodybucket wrote:
Spectacular! Colossal! Stupendous!

It's a good choice for GOTW!

We need more slavering scarlet insectoids as GOTW.

My Question: SrategoScape - Has it's time come?

Came and went, I guess...

But I´ll try almost any game at least once!
Not MonopolyScape though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Congrats Jesper, and enjoy your week in the geeky sun.

You have a rather unusual distribution of ratings for games - care to share your rating philosophy?

I believe the prince story. I think the Jensen thing is the lie.

Thanks!

After a few years on the Geek, I started to think my games ratings looked a bit uneven, so decided to give the whole thing an overhaul using this rating system (copied from my profile page):

MY GAME RATINGS:

I use this system for rating games, as some of the BGG criteria simply don´t fit me. For instance, there´s no game in the world I would be willing to play all the time... And I find it easier to rate consistently with only these 5 grades.

10- Great game! Fun to play! Looks good! And/or rules and gameplay are elegant, even genious, and theme and mechanics are well integrated.

8- Also great! Just not quite as great as a perfect 10!

5- Can be played occasionally, with the right crowd, or for variaton, or to remind you just how great those really great games really are...
might apply to some expansions, that drag down an otherwise great game.

3- Bad or broken, but if there´s nothing better to do, you might be persuaded to give it a go... Might have sentimental value to still be in the collection.

1- Can´t find much, if anything at all, to like about this game...

My ratings are based on my overall feelings for a game. I really admire game design that makes playing look easy and elegant, where the rules make sense in regard to what they are portraying, if that makes any sense... I find myself playing, and loving, games that let you stay in the flow of the experience as much as possible, and doesn´t force you to do constant mental time outs to calculate things or refer to rules and tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
"...and in other breaking news this week, The League of Extraordinary Heroscapers has stormed the fortress and taken over the BGG Geek of the Week thread!"

Yeah two weeks in a row...so how many of us live on different continents anyway?

Congrats Jesper - very well deserved. I love the League that you have created and your many other contributions.

Your honoured servant,

Squire Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely forgot:

Question: What does that "current HP" counter in your überbadge count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schlupp wrote:
Hey, holy awesomeness, someone I know! I'll take a break from my BGG pause, just to ask you a couple of questions:

1. I myself was born and lived for a long time (near/) in Flensbourg (Tarp to be precise). We passed Viborg many times on our way to Norway, but never stopped. What did we miss? Is there something particularly spectular about Viborg?
2. When checking out your collection, I see you are an expansion aficionado (probably half your game collection?). But where is the mother of all expansion games, Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)? Have you tried it? Is it the lack of (plastic) miniatures, which turns you off?
3. I was surprised by your '3' for Space Crusade. What is it that you do not like about it?
4. Have you watched Watchmen? Is it worth going?
5. What European comics (e.g. Asterix, Valhalla, Sky Doll,...) are you reading?
6. If you could sit down with Jack Kirby to play a game, which one would it be (you're allowed to talk about comics during the game, of course)? If you could ask up to three more historic/famous people (dead or alive) to join you, who would you ask, and what would you play?

Congratulations!!!! Enjoy your week. And drop by the Comics Guild from time to time.

P.S./Edit: I guess third one (GW magazines) is a lie.

Hi schlupp!
wellcome to the founder of BGG´s one and only GUILD for fans of:
Comics, Graphic Novels, Bande Desinée, Manga - the 9th Art

1) I´t is a small town, with only 34.000 inhabitants, and when I reached a certain age, I just had to move away...
But it is one of those old, historically significant towns, that are worth a visit for it´s churches and architecture.

2)I admit I´m a sucker for expansions, and I can´t give you any particular reason why I´ve never played the original Talisman. I haven´t played the latest version, as I decided I already have enough games like it...

3)The 3 rating is based on my memories of playing in the early 90s, and I guess I found it too kiddie like back then. I have recently aquired a copy, and think I might find it more interesting these days...

4)I haven´t watched it yet, but I´m sure it´s worth going!!!
I have my 20 year old paperback edition of the original series, that I read every 2 or 3 years. It only gets better every time!

5)A lot! I love Spirou, valerian, some of the Peyo things and most things from Macherot!
Moebius and Hermann are favourites from the more adult stuff, and I also love the danish Valhalla series and the swedish Felix, by Jan Lööf. Dutch Henk Kuijpers draws his Franka series very elegantly too...

6) I´ve said it before, I think Jack Kirby would just LOVE Heroscape!
It has the same larger than life, goodnatured FUN feel to it, that shines through in every page he ever drew!
I would love to play some strategic wargame with Alexander the great. I don´t know what I would play with Leonardo da Vinci, but since he is THE rennaisance man, I guess anything goes...
And Jules Verne as the gamemaster just might lure me back in to roleplaying games..

If all four of us should play ONE game, it would be Twister, and I would take lots of pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aratar wrote:
Stort tillykke (big congrats)

What upcoming games are you looking the most forward to?

Have a fun week!

I believe number 2 is a lie.

Mange tak! (Thank you very much!)

At the moment, I´m looking most forward to the Heroes expansion for BattleLore! 2 years in, and we still haven´t had anything to use the "Guest" spot on the Warcounsil for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
Congratulations to you, Jesper! Enjoy your week.

Even though I consider myself a 'Copenhagener', I am nevertheless born in Viborg. Don't know the first thing about the town, though.

A couple of questions:

1. If you could only ever play three games from your collection, which three games would you choose?
2. Which game publisher do you consider the most promising these days?
3. Since the Force is strong in me, I sense a liking for plastic components in you. But in general, how important to you is the presence of components with a nice, tactile feel? Any examples of games you think you possibly liked less than you might have because of the absence of such components? Any examples of games where the presence of such components lifted the game from so-so to enjoyable for you?

Have fun! Btw, I think your story #1 is the lie.

Funny, I didn´t know there were any other, at least former, viborgensere, (people from Viborg) on the Geek...

1) Hard to say! I´d have to have Heroscape, one of the Borg C&C games, probably BattleLore and...?

2)Days of Wonder have been in a bit of a slump, but I haven´t given up on them. FFG continues to make some pretty interesting new things...

3)Developers who make the kind of game I tend to like, have a habit of adding plastic men to the mix, so it´s really not my fault...
My gaming background includes a lot of roleplaying games and table top games, so I guess I´m just attracted to boardgames that promise experiences in that direction... I like a lot of euros that don´t have just the teensiest shadow of a Space Marine in them, and even the coolest plastic components just can´t save a bad game. It´s a sort of synergy effect I guess, but Heroquest wouldn´t be the same without all the cool pieces of plastic funiture!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
Congrats! Well chosen GotW.

I am a big fan of descent, but recently I have been playing RTL quite a bit and I now I'm not sure if I like RtL. Do you find it has the longevity over the entire campaign to warrant playing?

Do you like any traditional board wargames (basically those with counters)?

Hi, and thanks!

I think RTL is one of those instances where I like the idea more than the actual experience... It´s a really great concept, but as an RPG-like game, it misses all those little fun things that an actual RPG would bring you. It´s a very eloborate frame work for a long series of dice fest combats... Which has its charms too!

I haven´t played that many hex and counter games lately, but in my youth, I played a lot of Squad Leader, and some other Avalon Hill games, that I no longer remember...
These days I´m most happy with less complicated games, that can be finished in an afternoon or evening, but I wouldn´t rule out that I might be intrigued by square counters representing WWII soldiers again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke wrote:
I completely forgot:

Question: What does that "current HP" counter in your überbadge count?

Sadly, it doesn´t count anything at all! It´s just a bit of geekiness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.