Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, a player attacks with an army strength of 4 against an army of 3. The attack rolls 4 dice and all of them hit. Since there is no possible way the defender can have more successes than that, is there even a point for them to roll?

When we played, the game seems to weigh very heavily in favor of the attacker. The rules don't seem to mention anything about individual hits removing units, only successes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmm, so a stronger army rolled really well and this resulted in a situation where the weaker army could do nothing but suffer a defeat. I don't see how this constitutes "crap combat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Highest number of hits = win combat -> loser removes a unit and combat continues.

Yes, seems to favour attacker (you get to hit on an extra icon), although really favours controller of Conan if he's present ...

Cards can alter things a bit, hit on extra icons, reroll dice, etc.

Personally I like the balance being with the attacker - means you don't see people turtling all the time, instead game play is a bit more fluid with players encouraged to attack rather than build up defenses everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat is indeed heavily weighted in favour of the attacker. Not only does he get an extra success face on the dice, but of course he gets to choose the circumstances of the attack which can be particularly critical in this game.

I get the reasons behind this design choice, but I found that whilst it didn't make combat "crap" it did make it a bit dull. Nine times out of ten, the attacker will win, so there's no real tension in rolling the dice.

I've discussed it in greater detail in this review:
http://fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Combat is indeed heavily weighted in favour of the attacker.

Did you consider that the defender wins on ties?

Francesco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Francesco Nepitello wrote:
MattDP wrote:

Francesco

Exactly. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/390728

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Francesco Nepitello wrote:
MattDP wrote:

I did indeed. But the attacker ..

* Gets an extra success face
* Gets various bonuses if he's the Conan player and Conan is involved
* Can usually set things up to ensure he gets more dice
* Can usually set things up to ensure he maximises use of his kingdom and strategy cards
* May well be in possession of an artifact that grants him bonus dice or a "win on a tie".

In the games I played, successful defence rolls were pretty rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
But the attacker ..

* Gets an extra success face
* Gets various bonuses if he's the Conan player and Conan is involved
* Can usually set things up to ensure he gets more dice
* Can usually set things up to ensure he maximises use of his kingdom and strategy cards
* May well be in possession of an artifact that grants him bonus dice or a "win on a tie".

Would you rather have an attacker lose easily to a defender, when he went to the length of ensuring that all you listed above is on his side?

Francesco
P.S.
To avoid sounding antagonistic - answering only with questions - I will add that an attacker gets access to the advantages you described by playing well, and by paying for most of them a cost that could be spent elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget that in a Siege (defender has a tower, fort, or city in the province), the defender can roll dice equal to the province rating (if higher than his number of armies).

This may make those higher valued provinces less attractive for an enemy to attack, and easier to defend with fewer armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found 'attacker always wins' is such an issue with this game.

Attacker usually wins if they've organised stuff to get the necessary advantages - and you can end up burning though lots of cards doing it. Especially if you're trying to take an area in one hit with forced march.

Occasionally I've seen attacks fail - sometimes the defender plays an unexpected card, sometimes you get bad rolls even after re-rolls.

You just need to adjust your play appropriately. What's a killer is to lose a large army (either as attacker or defender) because it takes so many actions to rebuild it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bataar wrote:
Ok, a player attacks with an army strength of 4 against an army of 3. The attack rolls 4 dice and all of them hit. Since there is no possible way the defender can have more successes than that, is there even a point for them to roll?

When we played, the game seems to weigh very heavily in favor of the attacker. The rules don't seem to mention anything about individual hits removing units, only successes.

There is a possible way, if the defender has special kingdom cards which permit additional hits.

Also, as others have pointed out, combat continues until one army is eliminated or retreats.

I've found the combat to favour the attacker to a small extent, but the net effect of this little "edge" is to promote actual movement on the board - in many other strategy games of this type (area movement, kingdom-building) there is a tendency to "turtle" when there is too much of an advantage for defenders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Nine times out of ten, the attacker will win, so there's no real tension in rolling the dice.

If you don't think you're going to win, there's very little reason to attack, so the only attacks made are those likely to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once and we were misplaying some other rules so maybe on the next play through, this will make more sense, but it seemed odd that if the Defender rolled perfect, they can't even damage the Attacker or somehow force them to remove a unit since they don't have to force march, the attacker doesn't sacrifice a unit to continue attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the big focus of this game is on maximizing your chances to succeed when you attack, since the limiting factor on your VP acquisition is likely to be the number of military actions you are allowed to take (perhaps only 10 or so in a game). So it's a good thing that with proper planning/preparation you can be very likely to succeed.

The best defense is to demonstrate the strongest possible resistance and then hope that you scare other players into attacking a weaker target. Unless they are very silly they won't attack when they don't have a very good chance to win, and it would be a bad game if the defender could easily create an impenetrable defense.

EDIT: Took out an irrelevant reference to luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bataar wrote:
...it seemed odd that if the Defender rolled perfect, they can't even damage the Attacker

You're leaving out the fact that the attacker rolled perfect as well.

Let's apply a bit more logic: on an average roll by the attacker (2 hits with 4 dice), the defender wouldn't even need a perfect roll to win, they would do so with 2 hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bataar wrote:
but it seemed odd that if the Defender rolled perfect, they can't even damage the Attacker or somehow force them to remove a unit since they don't have to force march, the attacker doesn't sacrifice a unit to continue attacking.

The attacker still risks losing a unit on the subsequent contest. To keep things simple, the designers did not include the option that both players lose a unit in the same contest. Since a battle is usually a series of contests and most of the decisions that can influence the result are made before either player rolls (except using sorcery to reroll), I don't see a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found the attacker always wins. First game, first turn, I lost a combat against a 3 province that rolled 3 hits. Few turns later, lost against a 2 province that rolled 2 hits. Of course I ended up losing in a landslide (only a 2 player game). So maybe I have the opposite concern than you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else to consider is the end result even if it is slanted towards the attacker:

- in a seige the territory is now NEUTRAL and the Attacker has to conquer it for themselves;
- in a battle the Attacker has to conquer the territory for themselves (via campaign), starting over on the left most icon.

An Attacker can't swoop in and take a territory away and put it in his camp without putting some significant resources into the effort. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
First game, first turn, I lost a combat against a 3 province that rolled 3 hits.

You do understand that you only lose one unit in the contest, regardless of how many hits are rolled, right?

That said, I've seen two games where players got off to a bad start by losing battles they had good odds of winning. The loss of tempo is definitely tough to recover from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
You do understand that you only lose one unit in the contest, regardless of how many hits are rolled, right?

Yeah. It's just the loss of the unit, plus the loss of tempo. And it happened to me twice in my early expansion phase.

Plus raising new units to try again is especially inconvenient/expensive/wasteful if you haven't been able to take a second province yet, this seems like a design detail that screws the player who's unlucky on turn one (why not allow the military action to give you two units both in your home province if you want?). I happened to have a card that gave me one extra unit for free in a friendly province, otherwise it would have been an even more complete disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Plus raising new units to try again is especially inconvenient/expensive/wasteful if you haven't been able to take a second province yet, this seems like a design detail that screws the player who's unlucky on turn one (why not allow the military action to give you two units both in your home province if you want?). I happened to have a card that gave me one extra unit for free in a friendly province, otherwise it would have been an even more complete disaster.

If you haven't taken a province, you should consider using emissaries to win an intrigue contest before recruiting units with a military die. A province with a tower is controlled, and you can put the second military unit there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
If you haven't taken a province, you should consider using emissaries to win an intrigue contest before recruiting units with a military die. A province with a tower is controlled, and you can put the second military unit there.

Yeah, I know that, but that's a loss of tempo too, right? Because you don't have the military conquest as an adjacent friendly province to help win your first intrigue contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Yeah, I know that, but that's a loss of tempo too, right?

Yup, you lost it the turn you failed the attack, and what's gone is gone. The important thing is to make sure you don't lose any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Yup, you lost it the turn you failed the attack, and what's gone is gone. The important thing is to make sure you don't lose any more.

You lose one full turn repeating the battle, because you need to choose another military action to re-attack the province. And you lose one half-turn from the unit you lost when you expected to win. Those are gone for sure.

The problem, I think, is that you generally also have to lose another half-turn. Either you lose a half-turn spending an entire military action to recruit just one unit, or you lose a half-turn because you take an intrigue action to gain a second friendly province, in order to recruit two units with your military action, but in that case your intrigue action is a half-turn behind everyone else's, because they are all using their first military conquest as a +1 modifier for their first intrigue action, and you aren't getting that modifier so you need an extra emissary move to get the same odds.

You wouldn't have to lose that additional half-turn if the rules just let you recruit two units in your home province with a military action. I can understand why the rules were written not to allow recruiting multiple units per province at the front, but restricting players from recruiting new units efficiently until they get a second one just seems to me like piling on to the player who got bad luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't entirely agree with you, but we're getting along so nicely that I'm not going to argue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.