Marco Broglia
Italy
Torino
ITALY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reinforcement dice roll is the most aleatory part of this game.
So perhaps it would be better to make its use optional.

Aloa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make the Berzerk power useless, for one thing.

Based on this and your previous thread, perhaps you should just play Vinci.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The die eliminates perfect determinism. It also gives you a shot at making one more conquest per turn (helping to keep the ebb and flow of old versus new civilisations more rapid), with some judgement required as to whether you should go for a conquest needing just one on the die, or fancy taking a risk on - say - a three, adding an extra decision to most turns. So I'm all for it (and I'm not a huge fan of random factors) - even before you get to Allen's point, that removing the die obsoletes one special power.

PS - Berzerk Elves should be feared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
There's already another good source of non-determinsim: the random tile draws of race and power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
There's already another good source of non-determinsim: the random tile draws of race and power.

Races and Powers are paired in the queue before a player makes a decision based on the situation. Use of the Reinforcement die is part of the resolution of a players decision.

Completely different effect on play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes to all that, but even a little randomness known far in advance makes a huge difference. The main randomness in Puerto Rico is the plantation tiles, which like the races in Small World are known before every player's turn. Yet I've never played two identical games of Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Rosendal
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
It would make the Berzerk power useless, for one thing.

Based on this and your previous thread, perhaps you should just play Vinci.

It would be pretty easy to let berzerk use it and all other players not.
I think the dice is a bit silly but I like it as a variant. I don't see why the main game needs it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because without the die, people can look at the number of tokens you have available and know precisely how many territories you can conquer this turn. With the die, not only is that subject to the roll of the die, but you also have the choice to play it safe or go for a risky last capture. More decisions is almost always a good thing IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Rosendal
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Because without the die, people can look at the number of tokens you have available and know precisely how many territories you can conquer this turn. With the die, not only is that subject to the roll of the die, but you also have the choice to play it safe or go for a risky last capture. More decisions is almost always a good thing IMO.

I see your point but:
If they can figure out what I'm going to do - more power to them. That's part of what makes it a skill-game.

I think Memoir44 works fine with lots of dice and luck. I just feel that vinci and small world, works fine without.

But hey: I can just play without the dice right?

Edit:
I think it's great the dice is there for people that likes that kind of surprises. I might even use it myself sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.