Popular Tags: [View All]
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
11 days ago I was given an Amish friendship bread starter by one of my neighbors. I remember my mom baking this awesome bread when I was a kid so I happily took some not realizing the horrors that follow.

I followed the instructions I was given, feeding and needing the bag on the appropriate days. My husband watched the bag grow and then begin to move on it's own so he made a bio hazard sign to attach to the bag.

Yesterday was day 10 - a most inconvenient time to bake the bread but it had to be done. I made the apple variation and thus had 2 loaves of incredibly delicious apple bread. My family devoured an entire loaf at dinner yesterday and I froze the other one.

Of course the worst of it is that now I have 4 bags of starters as the damn thing multiplies! My sister wants one so that is okay, except she is going away for the Easter weekend so I will have the care and feeding of it. I am going to drop one off at my mother-in-law's place (I don't really like her anyway), and I have found a home for the 3rd bag with a friend who apparently knows what she is getting into and is okay with it (weirdo). Of course that leaves one bag left over.... which in my insanity I have decided to keep because how else will I be able to make that delicious bread again. Now of course I have to find more places to give the starter to in 10 days! Ack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amish friendship bread is the physical manifestation of electronic chain mail. Now that you've started it, you realize that if you don't continually send bits of the chemical experiment to 10 of your friends every few weeks...you'll die, your mother will break her back, puppies will start sneezing, and BGG will go down for a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hm... I would have thought this would have ended differently.

I've never heard of Amish Friendship bread. Link or something please with more info?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://yanswersblog.com/index.php/archives/2009/03/23/is-fri...

This tells how babby is made. How girl get bread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
http://yanswersblog.com/index.php/archives/2009/03/23/is-fri...

This tells how babby is made. How girl get bread.

That is hilarious.

For actual information on the process you can go to wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_Friendship_Bread

Amish Friendship Bread is a type of bread or cake made from a sourdough starter that is often shared in a manner similar to a chain letter.[1] The starter is a substitute for baking yeast and can be used to make many kinds of yeast-based breads, shared with friends, or frozen for future use. The sweet, cake-like Amish Cinnamon Bread is a common bread that is made from this starter; it is a simple, stirred quickbread that includes a substantial amount of sugar and vegetable oil, with a mild cinnamon flavor. It has characteristics of both pound cake and coffee cake.

A common recipe using this starter suggests using one cup (240 ml) of it to make bread, keeping one cup to start a new cycle, and giving the remaining two cups to friends. The process of sharing the starter makes it somewhat like a chain letter. One cup of starter makes one standard loaf of bread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh bother. DO NOT WANT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
My wife got caught up in this scam the first Christmas we were married, and it was crazy. She baked more bread than she had ever baked in her life, and kept getting more and more of the starter mix. In the end, I think she chucked it, just because she couldn't take the pressure of the whole thing.

Matthew actually said exactly what I was going to say: This is the physical representation of a chain letter.

EDIT: Also, if it's true that all those starter mixes originated from one single mix (which, I now realize, is an interesting "Garden of Eden" allegory), shouldn't it be rank by now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

EDIT: Also, if it's true that all those starter mixes originated from one single mix (which, I now realize, is an interesting "Garden of Eden" allegory), shouldn't it be rank by now?

I have been looking it up and there are lots of recipes to make the "starter" so I am assuming that I do not have any of the original culture.

I have also learned that I can freeze the starters so I have no need to destroy my friendships to get rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got caught once.

That was enough!!!

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am bread! Destroyer of friendships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
This would always go around when I was in the Navy. We renamed it "Amish War Bread."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never dealt with this stuff but it sounds interesting. Maybe I'm too practical but I don't understand why there's a hesitation to just freeze some and dump or use the rest. Even if it's screaming as it slides down the drain it still won't get to sit around and eat until it takes over my kitchen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to eat it a bunch when I was a kid. I remember liking it but I don't remember what it tastes like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

That reminds me of Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter. 161 years in a family's pantry.

I keep a sourdough culture in my refrigerator. Lately, it gets fed every month or so. Which makes it low maintainence. And I am not A.R. about making bread from most of the feedings. It just goes down the drain. Flour is cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
My efforts to follow the annoying instructions that came with this crap when I moved to Pennsylvania were among the least successful "rules interpretations" I've ever experienced. Why not just walk up to your new neighbors and slap them hard. I'll bet the Amish are laughing themselves silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.