Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross Moreno
United States
Ridgewood
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to all the members of the geek for providing answers to many of my other questions concerning this game. The game appears to be straight forward enough and I can't wait to sit down and play this weekend.

Question 1
Concerning the play of Shadow Cabinet Cards: After playing 1-4 cards (no more than 1 per region), keeping in mind that cards are resolved in turn order could you decide after seeing the action of another players card to not activate your card, saving the money but having to discard your card with no effect.

I can see a situation in which you would play a card to defend a region and then might not need the effects if no one else plays a card.

Or

I can see a situation when you play a card in reaction to someone else challenging a region but the effects of their card do not warrant playing a card.

I have not been able to find a definitive answer anywhere here.

Question 2
For clarification, when the rules say all cards are turned over and then resolved in player order, this means: All the cards in every region are turned over, and the first player chooses 1 action from each played card from current region clockwise, then this process continues in turn order. This does not mean you go resolve cards region by region.

Is my interpretation correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: my understanding is that once you've played the card you are committed to spending the money, whether you feel you need the results or not.

Q2: not sure. I think we did it region by region, then player order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley Games rules (confirmed for other editions by reviewing help sheets and similar documents)

Quote:
6.2.3 Shadow Cabinet
Once all players have had a chance to play Shadow Cabinet cards, they are turned face up and each player pays the corresponding amount to the bank. Then, in player order, each player carries out ONE of the actions listed on all the Shadow Cabinet Cards they played.

Payment is made before any cards are resolved. Then, in turn order, each player resolves all their cards. It doesn't matter in which region order a player resolves their own cards, as a single player's cards can't affect each other.

An example: I go first and place shadow cabinet cards in regions 4, 3 and 1. You go second and place in regions 2 and 1. John goes third and places in regions 3 and 1. All cards are turned face up and all fees are paid. I resolve my three cards in any order I choose. You resolve your two cards in any order you choose. John resolves his two cards in any order he chooses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Moreno
United States
Ridgewood
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
David and Chris,

Thanks for your fast response. Your explanations have helped to clarify questions 2.

Going back to question 1, from your interpretation of the rules must a player pay for the shadow cabinet card or can they choose not to pay and discard. David's response was not phrased as a definitive answer.

What would happen if someone did not have enough money to actually pay for the card? Would they not be able to play it all.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is clear from the rules that you are required to pay for all shadow cabinet cards that you place: "each player pays the corresponding amount to the bank" and not "each player may pay...". Payment is not optional.

The rules don't address what happens if you play a card you cannot afford. I would argue that it should be illegal to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Moreno
United States
Ridgewood
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chris,

Thanks for your help. This should clear up any problems we might have on our first attempt at this great game. I guess if someone puts out a card they can't pay for it is time to get out a 2 x 4' to hit them over the head!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I've never seen anyone that poor that early in the turn. If you are already totally broke before the opinion poll auctions, you're in pretty bad shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.