Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Chicagoland [+] [View All]
Karl Bappert
United States
Woodstock
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in Chicago for a couple more days and I dodnt bring any games with me but now im regretting that. I have read all about which gamestores are in chicago but what im wondering is which one has the best prices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized.
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard Games Plus in Mt. Prospect was the best Chicago-area game store, but I haven't made it there yet. I did check out the selection at Cat & Mouse at 2212 W. Armitage and was impressed by it (Beware..closed on Mondays). Depends on whether you are burbing it or towning it, but from all the reviews, I would try to make it out to Games Plus.

I have also been to Black Sun games at 5426 N. Kedzie, which had an ok selection but was mostly geared towards miniatures and RPGs. I was told to check out Chicagoland games at 1207 W. Bryn Mawr, but was short of time and couldn't see it as I was driving by, so I decided to keep on driving

As far as prices go, I always expect to pay retail or 10% off retail (sometimes given if you pay an upfront fee...only good if you buy more than $150 in a year or something like that...don't know if any of these stores offer that), so it probably doesn't matter which store so much. Chances are you will save on gas one way or the other which would outweigh any discount you might receive...my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple posts from relatively recently from me that go over the present situation in Chicago. Caveat: they're about a year old by now.

Long and the short of it:

Games Plus: Awesome, reasonably convenient (half a block from the Mt. Prospect Metra station). Fantastic selection, playroom, vending machines, restaurants in easy reach.

Cat and Mouse Game Store: On Armitage. Nice selection, but prices run at or close to MSRP. Hosts game nights on Tuesdays.

Black Sun Games: Up near Kimball and Foster. Haven't been.

And, really, that's about it, except for the places that only carry a smattering of Euros. If anyone knows of a new shop in the past year, let us know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagometh wrote:
I heard Games Plus in Mt. Prospect was the best Chicago-area game store, but I haven't made it there yet. I did check out the selection at Cat & Mouse at 2212 W. Armitage and was impressed by it (Beware..closed on Mondays). Depends on whether you are burbing it or towning it, but from all the reviews, I would try to make it out to Games Plus.

I have also been to Black Sun games at 5426 N. Kedzie, which had an ok selection but was mostly geared towards miniatures and RPGs. I was told to check out Chicagoland games at 1207 W. Bryn Mawr, but was short of time and couldn't see it as I was driving by, so I decided to keep on driving

As far as prices go, I always expect to pay retail or 10% off retail (sometimes given if you pay an upfront fee...only good if you buy more than $150 in a year or something like that...don't know if any of these stores offer that), so it probably doesn't matter which store so much. Chances are you will save on gas one way or the other which would outweigh any discount you might receive...my two cents.

There is also Cat and Mouse Games and Marbles The Brain Store!
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into euro-style games, Cat and Mouse trumps Games Plus. If you're into wargaming and miniatures, then Games Plus has the advantage.

For what it's worth, Cat and Mouse is a much more pleasant experience. I find Games Plus to be a mess. Games are jammed everywhere with no rhyme or reason. The staff basically ignores you. It's not that they are unfriendly but they sure don't go out of their way to acknowledge, greet, or assist you (in my 5 or 6 visits).

Cat and Mouse has very friendly and helpful staff, great floor plan and layout, and a lot of demos to try out...something else Games Plus doesn't have...no demo's or open boxes of euro games to check out.

I could spend most of a Saturday afternoon hanging out at Cat and Mouse. At Games Plus, I'm ready to leave within a few minutes.

Also, when it comes to price, yes Cat and Mouse is near MSRP but you also get great customer service, demos of almost any game you're interested in before you buy, etc... which helps justify the price.

I was at Games Plus 2 weekends ago and found their prices to be, on average, about $10 more than Cat and Mouse on the games I was interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the train from downtown to the Mt. Prospect store. There is a lot of gaming taking place in the side room at night, and there are layers and layers of old rpgs, discontinued minis, and other interesting treasures to be found. I bought my copy of Through the Desert there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bappert
United States
Woodstock
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no intentions of paying at or near retail, I will just wait till I get home. I have never even been into a game store before but like you guys said I figured It was going to be expensive. I found out about boardgames on the internet, ordered all my games on the internet, and learned all i know about them on the internet. I wish I lived in florida by coolstuffinc, they sell all their games out of their store at internet prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
One other (new) game store is up north in ~edgewater - on bryn mawr just west of broadway. It's a tiny place but they have a nice selection of euros, fantasy-flight stuff & some RPGs & CMGs. I think it is called the dice dojo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.