Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Emergency: Keep calm and call 0118 999 881 999 119 725...3
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this yet, but from reading the rules and processing in my usually refined-Eurogamer way, it seems that the privilege card that allows you to play as many servants as you want on the gate for only 1 gold cost is fairly strong. Is there any reason why you wouldn't take all of your remaining servants in your play area and smack them on the gate just to get them out there? I thought from reading the rules that part of the game was figuring out ways to get your servants on the board. This card allows you to dump everything on the board at once at minimal cost. Am I missing something here?

Servants on the board can be used for majorities and outer edge noble recruiting, correct? It's not a great chance you will draw one early, but if you did, it seems that this card is very strong. Since I haven't read anything else about it, I'm guessing I'm missing something...which is good for when I teach the game if that is what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is really that strong. At the start of the game (after placing your initial servants) you have 8 servants in your play area and 7 in the general supply.

This card allows you to play as many of your servants from your play area. You start the game with 2 servants on the Parade Ground. Even if you don't move any other servants there, you will get all your available servants on the board in 4 turns.

If you go immediately to the Back Door and draw the correct Privilege Card you will save 3 turns (as you would already be able to move 2 in round one).

If you do get the card, sure play it. But don't expect those servants to be immediately productive, as you start with only 3 servants on the Staircase (which controls the number of moves you can make). For purposes of majorities and outer edge noble recruiting the servants are just as useful in your play area as they are on the board.

To my mind, of much more importance is getting (some of) your extra servants from the general supply into your play area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Emergency: Keep calm and call 0118 999 881 999 119 725...3
mbmbmbmbmb
...but the only way to get servants out of the supply is with the exact noble recruited, correct?

So then, is this card actually one of the weaker cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the only way to get your extra servants is with Nobles. Having more workers available will definately give you an advantage in the mid- to end-game.

To my mind the "play servant to the gate" card is a decent card. It really depends on when you draw it. Remember you can't play the card until your next turn (you draw it at the end of your turn, and have to play it during Action 1) at the earliest. You'll want to ensure you are able to take advantage of the extra workers once you have them. The other players may soon catch up to you in number of available servants (or pass you if they get more of their extra servants).

I think all of the cards have a valid usage, the key is spotting when you should play them to best effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that this card is strong in the correct circumstance, but weak in general circumstance.

As explained above, it lets you put them on the board - on the gate.
Yes, you can take bonuses for the majorities from the gate, but that is actually delta neutral. You were going to get them wherever they came from.
And if you don't have enough movement points, it isn't worth anything to you, you'd be bringing them in and moving them over the same number of turns as you would without spending your gold.

So when IS it valuable?
It is extremely powerful when you:
Just bought a noble or two, and removed many servants from the board, and
You moved all your servants from the parade ground onto the staircase.

In this case, you would bring in zero servants normally, but have a lot of movement available.
So you use the card, bring all your nobles back (thus removing any need for servants on the parade ground!) and have great amount of movement.
Just restore the balance before you run out of steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.