Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently in the process of helping someone make a computer based version of a fairly simple tile laying game. You draw a tile at a time from a face down stack of 40, place it, and at the end score. I am looking for some general suggestions on what would be the easiest platform to use to create this, and some suggestions on where to start. I have already created a VASSAL module for this game, but would like something where I can do the scoring and just improve the overall flow of things.

Currently I am leaning toward flash because it's object oriented, but since the most flash I've done is a simple audio/picture slideshow, I'm not stuck to it. I did some visual basic in the past for some classes, but I'm really willing to learn anything if it's the best way to go.

Also helpful would be any type of tutorials specifically related to creating a stack of items and how to randomize them.

Really just looking for any information here. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason you couldnt have Vassal do the scoring for you. As to the flow it may be a matter of module design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me also put it another way. VASSAL is great at what it does, but many people will not use it because it's a two-step process to get a game since everything is done with modules. I was just wanting a single self-contained game that I would have more control of EVERY aspect. I'll look into doing the scoring in VASSAL but that seems to way too complicated just for basic scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virtually everyone has Flash player already installed. Comparatively fewer people have Vassal installed or can be fussed to launch it.

In Flash using AS2 you can just set up a for-loop and do attachMovie 40 times into an array, then shuffle the array (once for each slot in the array, swap with a random slot). I figure AS3 is similar. There's no single best way to calculate scores that I'm aware of - Varies from game to game. If you go with Flash, geekmail me and we can trade ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:
Virtually everyone has Flash player already installed. Comparatively fewer people have Vassal installed or can be fussed to launch it.

In Flash using AS2 you can just set up a for-loop and do attachMovie 40 times into an array, then shuffle the array (once for each slot in the array, swap with a random slot). I figure AS3 is similar. There's no single best way to calculate scores that I'm aware of - Varies from game to game. If you go with Flash, geekmail me and we can trade ideas.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for! If I have some time in the new few days I'll get some basic stuff setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.