Subject: German translations..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know english good enough to assess the quality of the original terminology of this board game.
However after playing my first game last weekend with the "german" edition, it let me as a language professional baffled.
Who on earth came up with this awkward and strange translations of game terms and the rules book?
A game this pricey should have enough leeway to afford a sincere localisation.
Not that I am really fond of this type of games anyway, but this just tops it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archibald Zimonyi
Sweden
Gothenburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would have to say that your english looks pretty good to me.

World of Warcraft (or rather FFG rules in general) usually require many turns of reading before fully understanding if you ask me.

They are no worse or better then anything else they've put out. They usually put up an errata and clarifications file which explains most of the oddities that might arise.

If you haven't, make sure to check out their website for any such file. It might also help.

Archie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comment. And the praise.
Nevertheless I find the style and the language of the German edition very estranging, as native speaker.
The rules are mostly clear, alas it is not rocket science, just a bucket full of them.
I dissent terms like e.g."Blutschaden" or "Entdecke eine 8", their linguistic basis in German are at best vague.
I know that groups tend to develop a special lingo, WOW making no exception. Still I would have expected better from the publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Christian
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Wolfram,
the German Translation is a bit awkward, although not babelfishy.
I recommend you to read the rules in english language, they should be easier to understand.

Main Game Rules:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/WoWBG/wowrules...
Shadow of War Rules:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/WoWBG/wowxprul...
Burning Crusade Rules:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/WoWBG/wow_tbc_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Verbelen
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this thread is old, but well, I wanted to chime in with my frustrations, give a heads up that it could be worse.

I just got my hands on the dutch version of this game, and the rules are horrendous.

Babelfishy word translations, broken up sentences, double words or parts of sentences, different translations of terms between rulebooks, char sheets and cards (one instance even different on the same card), plain silly translations of words, they even translated some numbers wrong, ....

I've never had so many rules questions for a single game, and most of them were solved by just reading the English rules. It looks rushed and it's a mayor annoyance since the flavor texts don't make any sense and you have to guess what special quest item is being referred to by omission (they have different names on the quest and the actual item).

I've not given up on the game itself yet ... but am getting close, just for this reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Goossens
Belgium
Schelle
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do agree, the Dutch translation is absolutely sub-par.

I just picked up a near-mint second hand copy. And while the package looks extremely nice. The rulebook is very nice,... the langauge is just horrible and it kind of kills the urge to play the game with our 11-year old son. He's not going to be able to understand the cards, even in his native language. (I regret not getting the English version now...I got the Dutch version so he could play along...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.