Link to article.

Summary:

The US Chamber of Commerce released its congressional ratings for 2008, ranking reps and senators by how "business-friendly" they are. The overall trend is that fiscal conservatives (low taxes, low spending) scored LOWER than Obama, Clinton, etc. Ron Paul, who is well-known for having the most consistent opposition to handouts, "fiscal stimulus," etc., scored lower than 90% of all Democrats!

Apparently the USCOC's definition of "business friendly" means supporting handouts, targeted tax breaks, and other special privileges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
There is often a huge difference between reality and people's perception of reality. Of course, in politics perception is reality. It takes a special kind of person to deal with this nonsense without selling their soul to the devil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrayman wrote:
There is often a huge difference between reality and people's perception of reality. Of course, in politics perception is reality. It takes a special kind of person to deal with this nonsense without selling their soul to the devil.

Could you reapeat that, this time so that it makes sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koldfoot wrote:
Republicans have lost their way trying to out democrat the democrats. That's news?

I think you're misreading the post/article. According to the USCOC's standards, "business-friendly" = "giving handouts and special privileges to big business."

In the USCOC's analysis, most Republicans are NOT doing this, contrary to popular perception that Republicans are allegedly only about helping big business at the expense of everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both you and the paper are reading more into the ratings than is really there. They're based on whether or not the legislator in question followed the Chamber's guidance on a very small list of bills. Why they opposed that bill and voted "the wrong way" isn't really there.

And reading the actual ratings, the conclusion drawn isn't supported by the Chamber's statements. Here's the Senate and here's the House.

The reporter took what's there and went much further than is wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's it!

A Mar - Bur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew being a moderate and wanting more than the spin would get me in to trouble.

Off to revise orders now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's no such thing as moderates. Tripp said so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
quozl wrote:
Wrayman wrote:

Could you reapeat that, this time so that it makes sense?

Sure, I'll try.

Reality and the public's perception of reality are probably not the same thing. This happens for many reasons including the difficulty innate in communication between people. The saying is that in politics, perception is reality. That means that politics is primarily about altering people's perceptions, not altering reality. In turn, whatever the public perception is is what is real. I believe that to be true but only within the realm of politics. There is an easy confusion between reality and political reality which are probably not the same. The special kind of person that I referred to is one that can successfully navigate the minefield of political reality without confusing it with or neglecting reality. Politics is a big frustrating and confusing mess. Nonetheless, I also believe that politics is a vitally important process that must be respected and encouraged because there is no better worldly method of getting along with each other.

I thought this relevant here because of the political spin that was layered on top of other political spin which sought to measure someone else's political decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:

In the USCOC's analysis, most Republicans are NOT doing this, contrary to popular perception that Republicans are allegedly only about helping big business at the expense of everything else.

yes. this is how i veiw "ultra cons".

small business men like me get bullied and battered by the big blokes that seem to be able to "buy all their rules".. a carefully moderated free market economy works best for honest small business (who employ most people by the way). the conservative style of fundamentalist capitalism makes the play field tilt. up until now that is LOL..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.