Germany
N├╝rnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that it is too hard to attack a defended place in this game. the opportunity to fire and move at the same time is limited and opportunity fire is such a thread. at least for the russians it seems like a mission impossible to attack, since they do not have as many activation-chits as the capitalists and driving them into line of sight and range of an enemy batallion leads to major casualties.

i've only played scenario 1-3, but it was always like a big waterloo when it comes down to move forward . do i miss something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Malteh,

It is hard, for certain, especially with WP attackers vs. NATO defenders.

Tips:

1. Mass fire - move your WP units in a large, closely packed mass and avoid depending on firing on the move. Stop as a mass, fire as a mass, move as a mass. Do not expose single units at a time, or if you do, use them like bait to suck up ATGMs, then charge with the rest of the formation. With NATO units, use overwatch techniques instead.

2. Use artillery to disrupt key units. The ITV and M3 Bradleys can decimate entire companies. Use artillery before moving if possible to disrupt ATGM-firing units if you can. Once you get ITVs and Bradleys disrupted, concentrate direct fire on them until they're smoking wrecks.

3. Pound already disrupted units. You usually outnumber NATO by a factor of 2 or 3 to one. Concentrate on eliminating or reducing already disrupted units. Spreading out single disruption hits over many units is usually wasted, as NATO units will frequently rally on their next activation.

4. Keep moving: Most WP units can move at 7 MF. Your assault factor is identical to most NATO units. If you can get into assault range, your combat odds are generally even, and numerically, you can win with even combat odds.

5. Be selectively aggressive: Take advantage of any opening and force it open further, but don't just charge into any situation. Evaluate when you have to rush and when you have to hold back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacking can be hard, especially in modern warfare when being shot at tends to be very deadly.

The standard attacking rules apply, but even more so in modern warfare:
1. Use cover, get in close.
2. Use artillery to suppress.
3. Use numbers if you have them.
4. Pick on the easier targets.
5. Do not pick a fight with an M1 in the open.

I was very happy the first time I destroyed a M1 tank platoon with a T-72 in WAW:EG, I lost half of the Soviet tank battalion but the US company was battered as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rothwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
All good advice. It's also worth remembering that as the Russian player you have to expect and accept higher losses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Rothy wrote:
All good advice. It's also worth remembering that as the Russian player you have to expect and accept higher losses

Too true...the challenge is to receive higher losses and achieve something in the process !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
And dismount infantry whenever possible.

It was an intentional decision to make WaW infantry fast. After the battle is joined infantry tend to be faster than previous platoon-level games give them credit for. Dismount them, get a couple, armed with Saggers, in good terrain, and they will wreck havoc on the NATO forces. By the same token, a slow, steady advance by dismounted Soviet infantry, will often force a NATO position.

BTW, most folks feel First Moves favors the Soviets. They win most times when I play (and I'm no great shakes as a player), there are some reverse slope defenses the American player can use that make them a tough nut to crack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.