Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: What to make of your blank Race & Power, suggestion and call for ideas! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I suppose we have all had some time to think about that one missing race and power we would like to see in the game, or perhaps in a expansion. There ARE empty banners for them after all.

For me, the obvious choice would be:

Race : Goblins. (Come on, what fantasy world is it without our favorite downtrodden, evil-grinning, foul smelling, gibber-speaking little gits.) devil

The race banner has 6 tokens, not because they are anywhere near good fighters or so, but because they always ALWAYS turn up in wast numbers. Their special power would be to be able to conquer regions that is occupied by a race token in decline (or lost race) for 1 token less. This is ofcourse a blunt reference to them all being complete cowards, but very opportunistic little sods. So think of it as a scavanging, or kicking people who are down, and that pretty much spells comic goblin in my book.

Power : Thieving. Preferably combined with the new Goblin race ofcourse, for extra gobbo feeling.

The power would have 4 tokens, and would only work once per player per turn. If you successfully attack a region controlled by an active race token, the player controlling that race must give you 1 coin.

Game balance-wise, the Gobbos should be quite annoying, as they would pose a threat for the other players cash-cow-in-decline-tokens. If there are any ofcourse. Players who only have afew token in decline could well be better off leaving the little green gits alone while they go to town on third parties, and only kill them off once they themselves go into decline. The gobbos should also be pretty much on par "strengh"-wise with other races that get a discount for attacking ,only certain, areas.
They would also present a different tactical problem, since the other players CAN affect what regions are likely to be attacked by goblins (as they are not just strictly terrain-defined as most others), by for example declining a current race on the other side of the board, OR, give a player another tactical reason to actually attack one of his own in-decline race tokens. (That is something I for one very rarely see anybody doing. Even if the region would be 1 gold more profitable for the active race, players usually go for taking new areas cheaper, or taking a area from an opponent.)

The thieving power will basically give a player a 2 pts swing per time used, but as it demands an active looting-campaing, it should be hard to maintain for long. Especially as it's quite probable the robbed players will a) want some good old fashion revange, and b) will want to limit the race's offensive (and thieving) capabilities by killen off afew of their tokens. Also, earning afew extra coins per turn is not something completely new or groundbreaking, this basically just does it in a new and uniqe way. arrrh

Well, thats what i would like to see anyway, and ill probably go to town my own poor banners to try it out. (There might even be pictures later.)

Please feel free to comment or mock me for this idea, and better yet, add your own race & power suggestion. Motivation or theme would be greatly appriciated, as would some Thumbs or if you can spare it.

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
this thread already exists, although it is not under the variant category

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be right, (Sorry Krister), i didn't find it on my first look thru the posts. That thread is ofcourse:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/390404

Well, even with that thread abit hard to spot, i suppose people can post their ideas there if they prefer, to have more in one place.

I still won't mind posts here though.

Thx for the pointer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, no worries! I suspect there will be a lot more posts like this when the game becomes available "Over There". I like your thievery idea, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kadavriak wrote:
Hehe, no worries! I suspect there will be a lot more posts like this when the game becomes available "Over There". :) I like your thievery idea, by the way.

Thank you sir, spoken like a true gentleman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making good of my promise, or threat depending on what side of goblin-liking your on, i made up a race banner for the aforementioned goblins.
I put the Trolls in there to show the diffrence in the minty fresh and real tokens, and my own medium quality printer version. (The gobbo is the bottom one, if your wondering.)

The link to the picture (if you want to look at it bigger):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/463487

Also, the gobbo in the picture is art created by Carl Critchlow, and taken from the MtG card "Frenzied Goblin". As such i suppose all the rights belongs to Wizards of the Coast and. .. .. Wait... Did i just set myself up for a lawsuit??!?!?
Or are they forced to start with a stern Cease and Decisist first? If so, i guess i'll remove the pic from the database. Anyway.

I tried to make the symbolics match the other races, with the iconography (if thats correct spelling) meaning "-1 to attack region containing race token not belonging to an active race." Pretty strange sentance, granted, but it should be covering from a rules/legal-text standpoint.

Furthermore, i was thinking of a new power, haven't quite figured out what to call it yet, but it would in essence be a pretty low number token power, and it's effect would be that for each coin on it when taken, you get to take an extra coin from the bank.

So, unattractive power, but the more it gets passed up, the more attractive it becomes. Odd enough for you all?

Comments, anyone? Feedback on my picture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is my homemade version of the Thieving power.

The iconography is perhaps not as clear this time, but if anyone got a good idea on how to represent it (As presented in the original post) please do let me know.

Link for anyone wanting to view bigger pic:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/463677

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Gobbos are a great idea, and the power fits perfectly. Good job!

My idea for a power at this point is just a name: "Barbarian". Barbarian in the sense of "Conan the Barbarian". I read a lot of that author's stuff for Age of Conan, and he seems really obsessed with the concept of Barbarism, he seems to think barbarians are a cut above. Sort of like modern folk step back when you mention that you are effectively a "Rocket Scientist".

Which begets another power idea:

"Rocket Scientist". At the start of your turn, load any number of available tokens into a rocket. Choose a target land region to attack anywhere on the map. Attack it, and roll the die to add to your attack value. If you fail, remove all your tokens that participated in the attack. If you succeed, proceed as normal.

Okay, my idea sucks, but hey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the positive word. (although in all honesty and retrospect, thay had already been suggesting in the other thread before i posted blush )

With barbarians i suppose is just finding what aspect of them "story-wise" you wanted to transfer into the game. If we for example wanted to transfer the Fear Me Conan Raw Power thing, perhaps we could make them into a race that kills off ALL the tokens in the regions they attack. That would have people running for cover, or just leaving a single token to the barbarian border. To offset this powerfull ability, i think it would be fun to leave them with suitable low number of tokens themselves. 5 for example. So with having an avarage 9-10 tokens, they would have a very nasty power, but it would be hard to really use effectivly. I mean, if you attacked only 2 regions a turn, sure you could do some heavy damage, but you wouldn't be earning any points for yourself to talk about. So they would be feared, but should also have enough of a drawback to balance them out and make them fun for normal games. Their scare value, or threat of attack, would probably work better for them then their actual attacks.

(I don't think anyone wants the game to degenerate to simply who get's the all-conquering home-made ((God the word has been used to death)) über-power, first.)

As for rocket scientist. I think that it's the implied massive intellect required that is what should put some respect and awe into people, and perhaps not the rocket-part itself. Also, rockets would be abit of a thematical shift for a fantasy world, no?

So, if its the rocket (catapult?) part of the thing that sounds fun to you, we would need to find what we wanted to transfer into the game, and how to do it in a thematically suited way.

Your idea's do NOT suck, an especially when brainstorming on a theme so completely silly as this, surely there can't even be all that bad ideas.

Keep ém coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Elves have the power to take no losses when conquered. What happens when the Barbarians attack the Elves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The old unstoppable force vs. immovable object.

I guess if the barbarians power was to function as above, and that's a pretty hasty first-idea, then they would simply return all the elves to their owners hand, as per their rules.

The barbarians power would be plenty tough enough, even with a race that was "immune" to it. Everyone needs a nemesis, right?

Sorcerers can ofcourse exchange away elves, so they ARE in infact destroyable, even when active, but i admit this is mostly a though-exercise rather then a real danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sent in my Goblins to the Small World design competition, let's hope they meet with the same good reception there. True shame i can't include the beutiful banner made by Istvan in the envelope, but there you go.

I would also like to take this opportunity to comment on the 5 or 6 race tokens question. I still feel the 6 is justified. The Goblins are good, sure, but also take into account that their power is against declined powers, and game-technically it is much worse to have your active race attacked then your declined one. If you drive down someones active race, they lose their entire declined race Anyway when they go into decline to change into a new race.

Beating a declined race is annoying, but beating an active one is devastating. In my opinion anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.