Subject: Streaming movies from Netflix rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking seriously about getting rid of cable TV and just streaming movies/TV shows from Netflix. My kids are going to hate me, but they'll get over it.

Is anyone here in ChitChat doing that now? If so, what device are you using? Picture quality okay? What's your overall experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:
I'm thinking seriously about getting rid of cable TV and just streaming movies/TV shows from Netflix. My kids are going to hate me, but they'll get over it.

Is anyone here in ChitChat doing that now? If so, what device are you using? Picture quality okay? What's your overall experience?

From personal experience I can say that the XBox 360 does a great job...and your kids might forgive you then.

You can also do it through Direct TV, but that would defeat the purpose of this discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Longbow wrote:

From personal experience I can say that the XBox 360 does a great job...and your kids might forgive you then.

You can also do it through Direct TV, but that would defeat the purpose of this discussion.

I have very basic cable only and stream movies and TV shows through Netflix on my Xbox 360. It works great. I don't have HD, so don't know picture quality for that, but on old regular TV it is fine. There are occasional hiccups where you get a pause in the show while it fixes itself, but it's way less than network commercials. The selection could maybe be better, but it seems to be getting better. Overall, a great value--much better than cable, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I gave up cable for Netflix streaming and the money-save combo package. I watch them on my PC because I don't have a 360. For the most part the picture quality is decent and I've never had a issue with the picture freezing due to a buffer issue.

Now if I was only able to get it working on my linux laptop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:

I canceled cable back in October... I just signed up for MLB TV today to watch baseball. It looks pretty damn good. I have not tried the Netflix thing before, but just now I checked it out and I started watching The Thing. It's not bad... I had to install the Silverlight plugin, so it is probably windows only?...

I have a quad core 4mb PC with a NVIDIA GeForce 8200 running 64bit Vista & Ubuntu... it has HDMI, fiber digital and standard VGA outputs, but I've not connected it to my TV as I would need a 30' cord. I am considering getting a wireless thing for the TV so that I can watch it on that monitor and on better seating than my desk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
so it is probably windows only?...

Macs were not supported the last time we checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
There's a Silverlight plugin for OSX; I just watched an episode of Attenborough's Life of Mammals on my Mac!

I love mammals!

Between streaming and getting DVDs of movies & TV shows they don't have in the "instant" service, I'd have no problem getting rid of cable/satellite TV. I use my XBox and my Mac, and they both work terrifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add... Red Sox home opener in 25 minutes!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
There's a Silverlight plugin for OSX; I just watched an episode of Attenborough's Life of Mammals on my Mac!

...and there's OSS alternatives Moonlight (Silverlight) and Mono (.NET) for Linux that supposedly work, I've not tried them yet...

I did install Ubuntu on a friend's machine the other day, a no-OS machine that was given to them. They were most interested (for some unknown reason) in watching FOX television, primarily the missed episodes of Terminator. It was Flash based but did not work due to some proprietary FOX DRM plugin. The episodes did play just fine at Hulu however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have done Xbox 360 streaming, which worked great. I had to give the 360 up, as I was ruining my life with video games.

As a replacement, I bought a player that does Blu-Ray and Netflix, the Samsung BD-P2500.

The picture and audio quality on both devices is generally very good, and about equal on both. My network would usually get a little overwhelmed when I was streaming HD content, and would wind up downgrading the quality to compensate.

You will never be without new content. The catalog is huge and getting bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooninite wrote:
I have done Xbox 360 streaming, which worked great. I had to give the 360 up, as I was ruining my life with video games.

As a replacement, I bought a player that does Blu-Ray and Netflix, the Samsung BD-P2500.

The picture and audio quality on both devices is generally very good, and about equal on both. My network would usually get a little overwhelmed when I was streaming HD content, and would wind up downgrading the quality to compensate.

You will never be without new content. The catalog is huge and getting bigger.

I'm considering the Samsung BD-P2500, too. If I'm going to take the plunge, I may as well get Blu-Ray.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Pulling the trigger tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an HD flat-screen, connected to the internet via an LG Netflix blu-ray player.
It all works great overall, though I don't believe it ever streams HD quality (not a problem, that's why we get discs in the mail). The only thing I dislike is that Netflix doesn't stream CC like every other broadcast/streaming company (Hulu, etc). It's not that they can't; they just don't. Since my girlfriend is hard of hearing, she'd always have the captioning on, and now that it's gone, I find I kind of miss it too!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.