Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Valor & Victory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification: Assault Move, Armor Facing, firing through occupied hexes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Skupin
Germany
Hamm
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi,

I really like your stuff, Barry, and you (or whoever knows) can boost my fun with Valor&Victory by clearing up some questions for me.

1. Squads that move with a leader have a MP of 6 wich gets halved when using the Assault Move. So the stack performs an Assault Move to a hex that requires 1 MP and recieve Opp. Fire. If the leader gets pinned or eliminated does the rest of the stack still have the 2 MPs to spend or will it get reduced to 1 MP?

2. A AFV with different armor values for Front and Rear gets attacked and the LOS of the attacker goes along the hexside between the Front and Rear hexes on the Armor Facing Diagram. Wich armor value applies?

3. Rule 13.7 says units may shoot through friendly occupied hexes without any effects for the units in those hexes. So we should assume that it is not allowed to shoot through hexes occupied by the enemy? Hmmmm, meatshields. zombie

Now for something rather cosmetic: Why did u give the Feldwebel=sergeant the -2 leadership modifier and the Hauptmann=captain only the -1? (Unless those are meant to be names )

And, risking to sound like a wiseass on my first post on BGG (btw hello everyone meeple ), Panzerschreck is written with a C.

Good luck with your publishing plans, even if that means no new stuff for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barfal wrote:

Hi,

I really like your stuff, Barry, and you (or whoever knows) can boost my fun with Valor&Victory by clearing up some questions for me.

1. Squads that move with a leader have a MP of 6 wich gets halved when using the Assault Move. So the stack performs an Assault Move to a hex that requires 1 MP and recieve Opp. Fire. If the leader gets pinned or eliminated does the rest of the stack still have the 2 MPs to spend or will it get reduced to 1 MP?

2. A AFV with different armor values for Front and Rear gets attacked and the LOS of the attacker goes along the hexside between the Front and Rear hexes on the Armor Facing Diagram. Wich armor value applies?

3. Rule 13.7 says units may shoot through friendly occupied hexes without any effects for the units in those hexes. So we should assume that it is not allowed to shoot through hexes occupied by the enemy? Hmmmm, meatshields. zombie

Now for something rather cosmetic: Why did u give the Feldwebel=sergeant the -2 leadership modifier and the Hauptmann=captain only the -1? (Unless those are meant to be names )

And, risking to sound like a wiseass on my first post on BGG (btw hello everyone meeple ), Panzerschreck is written with a C.

Good luck with your publishing plans, even if that means no new stuff for a while.

1. Rule 6.1 says, Units that move together must start and end their moves together, so there is no trail of bodies left behind.

2. Unofficial answer, I always take the lower armour rating, assuming the shooter is picking his spot.

3. Yep. Just shoot the nearer guys, that's what I'd do if I was doing the shooting. You "can" use this to your advantage.

Sergeant -2, I'm guessing that's because Sergeants work for a living

Panzerschreck . Boy oh boy, have you got good eyes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Christian,

1. Since the units start together they gain the bonus throughout the move, even if you choose to eliminate the leader.

2. The Second Edition rules have corrected this: when it crosses the dividing hexside, roll a die. On a result of 1-3 the front armor is used, and on a 4-6 the rear armor is used.

3. Correct. You may shoot through friendly hexes, only.

Those leader counters will be corrected... someday. I started by putting their rank, then changed my mind and decided on names. I've always meant to change them, but as time has gone on I've simply forgotten.

Good catch on the Panzerschreck! The art for that counter was modified about a month ago, adding the blast shield, and I also corrected the name. I simply haven't uploaded a revised sheet yet.

Welcome to BGG, and I hope to see you around the V&V forums often!

-Barry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
Hello Christian,
1. Since the units start together they gain the bonus throughout the move, even if you choose to eliminate the leader.

surprise Is that a rule I've missed or just how you intended it to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Skupin
Germany
Hamm
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers, guys.

FNH1 wrote:

1. Rule 6.1 says, Units that move together must start and end their moves together, so there is no trail of bodies left behind.

You should check http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/385133. A trail of bodies is quite possible (unless I got it wrong). That's how I mark my way home .

FNH1 wrote:

2. Unofficial answer, I always take the lower armour rating, assuming the shooter is picking his spot.

3. Yep. Just shoot the nearer guys, that's what I'd do if I was doing the shooting. You "can" use this to your advantage.

Sergeant -2, I'm guessing that's because Sergeants work for a living

Panzerschreck . Boy oh boy, have you got good eyes!

"Salt of the earth, good sergeants...but bless me if I can get used to them promoted" That's where the leadership point went. Damn you, Promotionman!

I guess I just printed them bigger or I got my supervision back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
surprise Is that a rule I've missed or just how you intended it to play?

Oops, sorry -- you're right, FNH. I'm going to crown you my official rules guru!

The rule actually states that squads or half squads that start, and conduct their full move, with a leader increase their movement to 6. Thus, if the leader is pinned or eliminated it will reduce the movement of the other units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Skupin
Germany
Hamm
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well 6.1 says that units that move together must start and end their moves in the same hex.

In the thread I linked to above you replied that when moving stacks recieve Opp Fire, only the pinned unit has to stop. Taking 6.1 literally that would be false unless this applies only to movements through occupied hexes. Pinning or eliminating a unit of a stack effectively makes the unit unable to leave the hex they got attacked in and would therefor force all other units of the stack to stay in the same hex.

Did you rewrite that for the second edition?

Considering the leadership bonus, as a leader is part of the stack, 6.1 would mean that the whole stack had to stay in the hex the leader got pinned or eliminated in rendering the movement bonus useless since no more movement is allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Christian,

13.8 also states that "any targeted unit still eligible to move (i.e. not pinned) may continue to do so after the Op Fire attack is resolved".

The rule isn't written so much as to restrict units in ther movement as it is to force players to keep stacks together, if possible. If a unit cannot continue to move it doesn't force the whole stack to stop.

-Barry

Edit Note: I've changed the sentence in 13.8 to read: "Any targeted unit still eligible to move (i.e. not pinned), including units moving as a stack, may continue to do so after the Opportunity Fire attack is resolved."

Hopefully this will resolve any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:

Edit Note: I've changed the sentence in 13.8 to read: "Any targeted unit still eligible to move (i.e. not pinned), including units moving as a stack, may continue to do so after the Opportunity Fire attack is resolved."

Nice one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.