Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having only played a couple of the games using the core set I was wondering how the Asylum Packs work. I have purchased a couple of them.

Do you just include the new cards in with the core set or are you expected to go down the path of deck building?

Are there any special ways that people are adding the decks?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added one of each card of the relevant faction to my decks... this worked out okay. Decks are a little big, but fun enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be called an LCG now, but clearly, deck building is something they intend for you to do. But, you certainly can just include all the cards you want to from the asylum packs. Depending on how many of them you get, you may end up with some huge decks. Still, even a minimum of deck building can be done, simply by removing a bunch from your deck to keep it near 50 cards. I've got one core set and one of each Asylum pack in the LCG format, and it's been pretty easy to build 50 card decks from a pair of factions. After you've played a few games with any given deck, you'll know which cards are useless and always are getting resourced.

That being said, I do enjoy deck-building, so your mileage may very.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been throwing in all the cards that match my factions, since I don't have a group to play with: just one-off games. But yeah, deck building is its own game, often played solitaire, and it can be quite fun.

If you want my advice on "casual" deck construction: First, use the faction-matching cards to bulk up the deck to 50. Then start removing the neutral cards, so you are just using themed cards. Once you get up to 40 cards per faction or so, try switching to single-faction decks (with enough neutral cards to get to 50).

Windopaene wrote:
It may be called an LCG now, but clearly, deck building is something they intend for you to do.

I always assumed as much. Otherwise, why not just call it a card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Question: As you get more of the Asylum Packs do you tend to include/use the faction cards cards and get rid of the neutral cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
edmil wrote:
Another Question: As you get more of the Asylum Packs do you tend to include/use the faction cards cards and get rid of the neutral cards?

Usually, although there are a few neutral cards that are amazingly helpful, and therefore remain in my deck. Arkham Asylum is great for the humans, Political Demonstration is always handy, and Eldritch Nexus is a serious boon in decks which have a lot of "pay 1" effects. There are other characters worth adding too, but you get the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.