Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is as simple as that: Which game should I get, War of the Ring, or Titan? Why? And yet, I don't want to know why I should get one or the other; I want to know why you, the reader, would get one or the other. "Get both," is not an option.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel silverthorne
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simple.. you want 2 player or an awesome 5 player game that last till dawn. Both games are good, just think of who you will be playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
My choice would be between War of the Ring or something else entirely. War of the Ring is one of the most amazing Lord of the Rings games I know, and is also awesome in its own right. It is best as a 2-player game, though, and takes us about 2-3 hours to play through a game.

Titan... hmm. Depends how you like your randomness, really. A game with player elimination and a 3+ hour play time (not every time, but enough games) is problematic for me. Yes, skill helps greatly with Titan, but for equally-skilled players, there's a very high level of randomness.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mexilplif wrote:
simple.. you want 2 player or an awesome 5 player game that last till dawn. Both games are good, just think of who you will be playing with.

Agreed. Titan is only OK with 2 players, and War of the Ring, while playable with 2 teams, is really a 2 player game. Buy War of the Ring and download Colossus, the Java version of Titan for solo play:

http://colossus.sourceforge.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner and player of both, I'd say buy War of the Ring. Why?

Titan is a great game and supports up to six players but, like Diplomacy, players get eliminated as you go. With a lengthy game like this, elmination is fine if you're at a convention and they have somewhere to go. But, if you invite a group over to your house on game night it's not a great feeling to have you friends then sit around trying to think of something else to do while you keep playing. War of the Ring supports only 2-4 but, they stay in it the whole game.

Titan is fun but, generic. The theme is quite loose. War of the Ring is strongly based on Tolkiens work and its great to see the action played out on that wonderful map. I prefer tokens to oversized plastic models.

Titan is easy to learn. War of the Ring has a more difficult rule set to consume so you are better off learning from someone experienced with the game. Having said that, the card decks which drive the action necessitate difficult strategic choices and resource management. Each game can be quite different and challenging. Titan on the other hand is HIGHLY random with very little choice in strategic movement and fairly obvious tactical choices.

Titan is a great classic but, War of the Ring is a better buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
mexilplif wrote:

Agreed. Titan is only OK with 2 players, and War of the Ring, while playable with 2 teams, is really a 2 player game. Buy War of the Ring and download Colossus, the Java version of Titan for solo play:

http://colossus.sourceforge.net/

Titan is an excellent 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring or nothing else. Titan has a "flaw" in that there is no definite end. You might start playing the game in be done in 15 minutes because one player is more skilled. Otherwise, the thing could last for days. At least in my world, time is a valuable commodity.

Titan is a fun game but really is only suited for 1v1 anyway because if you get knocked out, you're out of the game forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring. One of the best looking boards out there, typical FFG components, and a pleasure to play (once you get past the first game or two). Deep two player game and one that gives you a genuine sense of achievement if you win as the FP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan is a solid two player game but really shines with more. WotR is only a 2 player game. Both are fantastic games with a lot of replayability and you can't go wrong with either.

So, I would base my decision on how many you will be playing with. If you regularly have 3+, get Titan. If you usually only play with 2, WotR is a better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.