Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 3.1.2 states "the player who owns the chit conducts the Operation Stated on the chit."

My chits just say Op 1, Op 2 or Op 0. I couldn't find a reference to what kind of Operation Op 1 is, etc.

Then rule 3.1.2.1 states "units within the effective radius fo the Ops Chit....conduct one of the following operations"

Is Op 2 an Operation with an effective activation radius of 2 hexes?

Can some one out there give me a little help? I kept looking for a rules section on Op chits, which seem to be the engine of game play. I must have missed something.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Mr Emge on Consimworld:

"Ops0 Activate units in the designated hex only

Ops1 Activate units in the designated hex and those adjacent to that hex

Ops2 Activate units is the disignated hex and all hexes up to 2 hexes from the deisgnated hex"

Hope this answers your question.

Good Gaming!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the help.

Some how I'm not sure why companies call the unthreaded Consimworld discussion "support".

There are over 2000 entries related to Panzerblitz HOD. I've seen other games with tens of thousands of entries to sift through.

This threaded Boardgamegeek system is much better to weed through.

I have a new question (rhetorical): does any company blind test their games any more? Are blind testers too close (via email) to the designers and developers to find the flaws a gamer will find within 10 minutes of opening up a game box?

I appreciate the help designers quickly give to gamers these days, but I would like more thoroughly tested and complete designs. If I sit down on a Saturday afternoon to play a new game it isn't pleasing to have to leave the session with a list of questions and halted game play.

This problem is industry wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eltorosailor wrote:
Rule 3.1.2 states "the player who owns the chit conducts the Operation Stated on the chit."

My chits just say Op 1, Op 2 or Op 0. I couldn't find a reference to what kind of Operation Op 1 is, etc.

Then rule 3.1.2.1 states "units within the effective radius fo the Ops Chit....conduct one of the following operations"

Is Op 2 an Operation with an effective activation radius of 2 hexes?

Can some one out there give me a little help? I kept looking for a rules section on Op chits, which seem to be the engine of game play. I must have missed something.

I recieved my copy of PB:HOD yesterday and I too had exactly the same problem. As far as I can see there is no explicit explanation describing the Op chits command radius. The chit draw appears to be at the core of the game and it's a major oversight to omit it.

I've also noticed another few problems with the rules. There is reference saying that Line of Sight obstacles are indicated in the Terrain Effects Chart - they're not. Also, there is a reference to Armour Over-run Entry/Exit hexes but the rules imply that the over-running armour counter stops in the hex adjacent to the defending unit then attacks. I can't see where it states that the armour counter exits the attacked hex on the other side.

Like I said, I've only had the game a day so I may have over-looked something obvious. Any corrections would be welcome!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-L├ęgier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_mrholmes wrote:
I can't see where it states that the armour counter exits the attacked hex on the other side.
The overruning unit can enter the hex overruned only if it eliminated all the occupants. It can move further and even Overrun another hex if it has enough movement points.
I don't have the Rulebook under my eyes, but it is exlpained in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
eltorosailor wrote:

I have a new question (rhetorical): does any company blind test their games any more? Are blind testers too close (via email) to the designers and developers to find the flaws a gamer will find within 10 minutes of opening up a game box?

I appreciate the help designers quickly give to gamers these days, but I would like more thoroughly tested and complete designs. If I sit down on a Saturday afternoon to play a new game it isn't pleasing to have to leave the session with a list of questions and halted game play.

This problem is industry wide.

I saw exactly the same problem with ops' radius, and came to exactly the same conclusion. And check out the few number of playtesters listed in the rule book: five.

There is an excellent Google Tech Talk (on YouTube) by the designer of "Pandemic" (Matt Leacock) and he talks about this too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck finding playtesters. Good ones--who are intelligent, hardworking, play the game, and give good feedback--are rare. And even if you find a few decent ones, they can't even begin to approach the number of plays a game will get within a month of release. 50 sets of people playing a game twice is way, way better than 2 sets playing 50 times. Plus, even the best folks will just miss stuff that others might pick up right away. I've seen it over and over with proofreaders: 3 people will come back with 3 different sets of comments and catches.

That $40 wargame with a run of 3000 would cost $160 if the company paid for a full-time professional production staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:
Good luck finding playtesters. Good ones--who are intelligent, hardworking, play the game, and give good feedback--are rare. [snip]

Basically I agree with you. But I'd like to comment the other side of the coin.

I've playtested about 4 professionally to-be produced board games, and one computer game. On one wargame I said this should never make it to market and it did not. Two others it seemed like the publishers lost interest in feedback, so I stopped. On the final one (an un-named crayon rail game which did get published) I gave tons of feedback and many corrections to the map and commodity cards. When it was published I was not in the credits as a playtester; I was not even sent a complimentary copy of the game. However I did notice that most of my 'errata' was in place. Basically I've totally lost interest in helping these publishers/designers out unless I personally know them.

I think this is one of the roots of the 'playtester' problem. But it is also the basis of the 'inbred' problem of the playtesters and the designers being to close together.

My experience with the computer game was totally opposite. I got immediate feedback on my comments. I got quick updates on fixes to the game. I was listed as a playtester in the final product, which I received from the publisher as a courtesy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No excuse for a wargame company treating its playtesters shabbily. Still, the fact remains that playtesting is hard work (and lots of it) for no money. The most you will get is a rules credit and a copy of the game.

Of course, the designer and developer don't get much more than that. As a rules writer, I don't do any better than a playtester (except the occasional second copy of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.