Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this is a session review of Stone Age tonight, it's more a review of what happened within the social aspect of the game, rather than a turn-by-turn blow-by-blow recap. I hope you enjoy the read!

So now, to set the stage:
One of the benefits of not having kids is I have disposable income to spend on board games. Now, one of my fellow gamer friends has three children. Even though he's the one who works, apparently she makes the rules when it comes to spending their money. Well, respecting the wife's rules, he can only buy games when she says it's okay.

So in our situation, we play new games, it's games that I've gone out and bought myself, which I then introduce. Since we have similar tastes in games, more often than not he ends up falling in loving them also. Earlier, when we first started playing these games, he'd go run out and buy the game we'd just played right away (and get in trouble with the Missus as soon as she found out). So, background for this story is he'd already gotten in trouble with the wife for buying Ticket to Ride and Puerto Rico.

Okay, so last week I introduced him to Stone Age. Needless to say, after the first play, he was super excited for the game. After we finished, he said we needed to play it again with his wife next time I visited. Since Stone Age is an awesome game, with awesome production value, it should be easy to convince her that they needed the game in their collection. She's got him on a tight leash, but it's important to know how to train your captors! The thinking was if she joined in, she'd fall in love with it also, and he'd then be able to buy the game himself without the fear of getting scolded.

So tonight, we finally had a chance to play the game with the 3 of us: me (J), him (B), and his wife (H). From the moment we opened the box, B was telling H: Look at the production value! I mean, the gold looks like gold! And look at the pictures on the map.

Oh, yes, I could tell he was attempting to sell her on the game before she even knew what the point of the game was. Well, we start to explain the rules, and eventually she says it sounds easy enough. We agree to let her start the game off for us, and with the choice of cards available early on, we advise her to take an early first-turn field. B responds by getting a baby, and I toss all my guys on the wood. She then gets a card, B sends 3 to brick and H follows with 3 to brick also.

Well, from H's first roll for brick (where she rolled a 17 with only 3 dice!) she was really digging the game. Thankfully for B, the dice-gods were kind to his wife. (Because, really, how can you dislike a game when you roll good dice?)

Game continued, and eventually I won, helped by having an 8X multiplier on both houses and tools. Both B and H were close by around 30 points or so, having gotten most of their points from either huts early on (H) or from the people multiplier and sets (B). It seemed to be close right up until the end, and H really thought she had the game in the bag before realizing how much points the cards really add up to...

So at the end of the game, B had to know what H thought. (Remember, if she liked it, it would be easier for him to convince her they needed the game also.) As it turned out, H said it was the most fun she had had playing a board game with us yet. She even asked if I would be able to come over next week to play the game again during my next visit.

I can see B's eyes light up instantly. SCORE!! I guess it looks like B has an excuse to expand his game collection by 1 more game.

And considering a true board-gamer never turns down an open invitation when his fellow gamers' wife asks to play again, you can bet we'll play this one again. Maybe next week I won't even have to bring my copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwah ha ha! New recruits into the cult!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if/when you play again next week, let H win! Seal the deal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.