Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the clarifications on "10.3 Replacements" in the errata, states that
Quote:

The Veteran Steps that return are in addition to any replacements listed in the Campaign Instructions. For example, if the US forces in a WWII lost 6 Steps, then the US would get 6 Green replacement Steps and 1 Veteran Step.

My question now is: what would you do with this extra step? As all lost steps are replaced, in which HQ/platoon/unit/... do the extra veteran steps go? Or did I misunderstand this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My question now is: what would you do with this extra step? As all lost steps are replaced, in which HQ/platoon/unit/... do the extra veteran steps go? Or did I misunderstand this?

Hi, Christopher. I'm not sure what you mean by "all lost steps are replaced." But the way it works is this:

1. Demote all the steps that ended the mission as LATs to Green
2. Absorb those LATs back into the Company (your choice, wherever needed or wanted, etc.
3. Use the experience points you garnered to promote steps.
4. Add in the 6 Green replacements, plus any veteran step(s) you may have 'earned' by evacuating casualties.
5. Re-calculate experience levels.

For instance, in the live mission I played over the last couple of FoF 101 sessions, I ended up having lost 19 steps (that's 'lost' as in they became casualties or ended the mission as LATs). My LAT steps and replacements totaled 18 steps, so my company started the next mission one step short of its full strength. That's not bad at all. It can be better, but it can also be a whole lot worse.

Does this help?

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ricky,

Your example is clear, but doesn't answer my question completely.
What if (number of replacements + extra veteran steps) > number of needed steps to complete all units? That's how I read the example in the errata: if the US forces in a WWII lost 6 Steps, then the US would get 6 Green replacement Steps and 1 Veteran Step, meaning (or so I think): 6 steps lost = 6 steps needed to get back at full strength, but I receive 7 steps (6 green + 1 veteran): what to do with the "extra" step?

Do I just leave one step "at home", or do I have a 4-step squad? Or is that an impossible scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see. If you happen to have extras, they are unable to be used. There cannot be a 4-step squad. Also, you cannot use them to add units to the company that weren't a part of the company in the first place.

Thanks,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Thanks Ricky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it just means that you did a good job at keeping your men alive and the extra manpower went somewhere else where it was needed.

Battalion HQ should mention you to a promotion...

Too bad you don't earn a free XP point per extra step you have above and beyond what your Company can use...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
Too bad you don't earn a free XP point per extra step you have above and beyond what your Company can use...

This is a good suggestion for a house-rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of necroing I know but it's relevant:

That veteran replacement, can he fill in the gap left by a HQ that became a casualty?

So your green Lt. is taken out, and comes back a vet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.