Subject: Combat Phase/Bases/Loading Units for Free in Regroup Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having played my second game, I have three more little issues that want to be clarified:

1) Combat Phase: I understand that in each "Attack x" step (x = air, sea, land) of the combat phase, the first player chooses a zone where he can attack/fire upon x units. Then the other player gets to attack the x units of the first player in that same zone (if any are present!). Then the rulebook says: "Repeat this process for each zone in which x units can be fired upon". Does this mean "that the first player can attack/fire upon" or does this also include all zones, in which the first player can actually not attack any of his opponent's x units, but the opponent can attack his? I strongly assume that the designers intended the latter, but you never know...

2) Bases: are the players' bases (Rabaul and New Caledonia) also regarded as "island zones"? For example:

2a) In step 3.4, do you also get 4 additional reinforcement points for controlling your own base island?
2b) In step 3.1, do you determine who controls Rabaul and New Caledonia, applying all the "regular" rules? Is it even possible to take control of your opponent's base island? If yes, which consequences would this have for the inferior player (apart from probably losing the game, of course ) ? Would he NOT be entitled to receive the standard 10 reinforcement points any more? And would the superior player get 4 additional reinforcement points for controlling an "additional island" in this case?

3) Regroup Phase:

The FAQ says that "If I buy or repair a transport, destroyer or aircraft carrier, I can immediately load any units from the base card".

So if I interpret this right, "loading" also means "moving fighters onto the AC" here, so the following scenario would be completely legal, right?

- I'm the Japanese player and I have 2 fighters, 1 infantry, and 1 damaged destroyer on my home base (Rabaul)
- during my reinforce substep, I buy 3 supply tokens and 1 aircraft carrier => I may now immediately place the 2 fighters from Rabaul on that aircraft carrier (without having to pay attention to whether they still have movement points left over from step 3.2 or not)
- during the repair substep, I spend 1 supply token to repair my destroyer and place it back in the seazone of my base card => now I may immediately load the 1 infantry unit on it
- finally, during the deploy substep, I pay my other 2 supply tokens to move the loaded and repaired destroyer with 1 infantry on board plus my fully "loaded" aircraft carrier (2 fighters on it) to Sea Zone B

Wow, I seem to get quite a lot for my money's worth! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculix wrote:
1) Combat Phase: I understand that in each "Attack x" step (x = air, sea, land) of the combat phase, the first player chooses a zone where he can attack/fire upon x units. Then the other player gets to attack the x units of the first player in that same zone (if any are present!). Then the rulebook says: "Repeat this process for each zone in which x units can be fired upon". Does this mean "that the first player can attack/fire upon" or does this also include all zones, in which the first player can actually not attack any of his opponent's x units, but the opponent can attack his? I strongly assume that the designers intended the latter, but you never know...

Combat must be resolved in all zones in which it can occur. In some cases, notably ranged fire into adjacent zones, such attacks aren't obvious and must be declared at the beginning of the combat phase. The first player only decides the order of the combats, not whether or not they occur.

Miraculix wrote:
2) Bases: are the players' bases (Rabaul and New Caledonia) also regarded as "island zones"? For example:

2a) In step 3.4, do you also get 4 additional reinforcement points for controlling your own base island?

No. This only applies to islands on the board.

Miraculix wrote:
2b) In step 3.1, do you determine who controls Rabaul and New Caledonia, applying all the "regular" rules? Is it even possible to take control of your opponent's base island? If yes, which consequences would this have for the inferior player (apart from probably losing the game, of course ) ? Would he NOT be entitled to receive the standard 10 reinforcement points any more? And would the superior player get 4 additional reinforcement points for controlling an "additional island" in this case?

You can move units onto your opponent's base, but you can't gain control of it. If your base is occupied by the enemy, you still get your reinforcement points and may place new units there.

Miraculix wrote:
3) Regroup Phase:

The FAQ says that "If I buy or repair a transport, destroyer or aircraft carrier, I can immediately load any units from the base card".

So if I interpret this right, "loading" also means "moving fighters onto the AC" here, so the following scenario would be completely legal, right?

- I'm the Japanese player and I have 2 fighters, 1 infantry, and 1 damaged destroyer on my home base (Rabaul)
- during my reinforce substep, I buy 3 supply tokens and 1 aircraft carrier => I may now immediately place the 2 fighters from Rabaul on that aircraft carrier (without having to pay attention to whether they still have movement points left over from step 3.2 or not)
- during the repair substep, I spend 1 supply token to repair my destroyer and place it back in the seazone of my base card => now I may immediately load the 1 infantry unit on it
- finally, during the deploy substep, I pay my other 2 supply tokens to move the loaded and repaired destroyer with 1 infantry on board plus my fully "loaded" aircraft carrier (2 fighters on it) to Sea Zone B

Yes, that's legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks again. That should do it with my questions for this game... (at least for now )!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.