Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,

I'm in the process of remodeling my game room. I've had a wall taken out to annex a small storage room that was adjacent. My space is still not huge, it measures 15'6" by 10'. This is what the space looks like atm.

From the door.

From the far side.

This is what I know for sure is going into the room.
1. Computer desk and computer. (I find they go well together. )
2. Leather recliner and end table/magazine rack.
3. My Games!

Everything else I'm open to suggestions, including but not limited to the following:
1. Shelving
2. Carpet style and color
3. Lighting (lamp for the chair, over the game table, by the shelves ect.)
4. Game table and chairs
5. Wall art. (Though I am pretty sure this will include Napoleon crossing the alps. Always loved that image.)
6. Wall colors and textures.

I want to know what your room would be like, with space being the only limiting factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like 2 doors in the room? This limits your full height bookcase type storage. So you may want to consider some bracketed wall mount solutions. Also I like carpet that is squishy but fairly tight so as to not loose game pieces (or lego).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These threads make me so jealous.

Maybe some day I'll have a room completely dedicated to gaming...some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With home prices so low, I'm doing a little home shopping myself...I dream of a game room of my very own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson
United States
Amity
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With such low housing prices, dream big. How 'bout a whole gaming house? Mmmmm. Yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudzujim wrote:
With such low housing prices, dream big. How 'bout a whole gaming house? Mmmmm. Yeah.

Especially if you're a first time buyer - now's the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LIGHTING!
Can never have too much lighting!
Avoid expensive, hot, halogen bulbs.
Many "noiseless" dimmers save energy, set mood.
Ceiling mounted saves table space.
Good luck!
(room for small fridge?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the practical sort, I'll suggest "paint" and a light shade for that bare hanging bulb.

Unless you were going for that 1920's gangster hideout look, in which case I apologize. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that long board holding the wall up?

With the lighting recommendation above, I would suggest track lighting with the lights pointed at the wall for a nice and soft light.

You could rig up a nice gaming table that you could raise and lower from the ceiling via a pulley system. That way you can have a large, ongoing game that can be set up; while being able to move it up and out of the way in order to play other games.

Also, arrange two shrubberies so that they get a two-level effect, with a little path running down the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others: after space, lighting is the next most important thing. For me, it should be from overhead (no shadows) and diffused (no glare). Shelves for the walls; drawers if you have minis ...

Good luck ... looks great so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the ideas so far. I really like the mini fridge idea, and all the lighting tips are great.

I was half tempted to stock up on tommy guns and get a full sized image of Edgar G Robinson, but then Bugs Bunny would show up and foil all my plans anyway....

I was hoping someone knew where I could get some Lee vs. Grant window curtains though.

Thanks again for all the ideas, please keep 'em coming.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's under this room? Cutting trap doors in the floor in order to have storage underneath the room would rock! You'd also have a place to hide in case Imperial Stormtroopers boarded your house to search for your Death Star Plans!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tabletop suspended from ceiling on pulleys. That way you can retract a game in progress to finish later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:
Tabletop suspended from ceiling on pulleys. That way you can retract a game in progress to finish later.

Brilliant idea!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to have a table made from a 4'X 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood finished. The edges of the table where 2"X 6" boards on edge making it like a craps table. Then another sheet was placed on top. Leaving the long playing games set up inside, safe and sound.

But that was some years ago, a few moves, and an earlier wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you have the beginnings of a super game room! I'm in the market for a home myself and such a room is nearly at the top of my needs, second only my home theater requirements. laugh

Depending on your climate control situation for the room, you might consider a small variable speed ceiling fan. I've found them most helpful when the room is full of busy gamers. It's amazing how fast a room can heat up. Variable speed is important because you don't want those animeeples moving across the board by themself... shake

(edit for spelling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to take a few snapshots of my place when I get home. It's still a semi work in progress but will give you an idea of what has been working for us this past year since we moved into our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.