Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is fishing what you call what I call beer drinking in a boat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once upon a time, a little clown fish got lost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife grew up in the country. 200 acres of northeastern Indiana land with a 10 acre pond and 2 small "catfish" ponds near the woods at the back of the property. Her father used dredging equipment in the late 50's and 60's to create these ponds out of marshy area and fully stocked these with catfish, bluegill, bass, and other 'stuff' I can't remember. Every Memorial weekend there would be a huge family camp out and we'd all fish and stand around large wooden wire spools cleaning the fish we'd caught during the day and on Monday we'd listen to the Indy 500 and eat the fried spoils of our catch from the previous two days.

They sold the farm in '92 and I haven't fished from the bank since.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you hugged your fish today?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Clockmakers lie
mbmbmbmbmb
I always hated fishing. I had a friend who liked it, though. So I used to go fishing with him and his family. I didn't actually want to risk catching anything, so I tried to put the bait so loose on the hook that it would fall off when it hit the water. And every time I was the first, and often the only one, to catch a fish. Fish are incredibly, unbelievably stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yummy - fish.

I like mine bbq'd on hickory planks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been ice fishing this winter, but that's my first love of outdoor activities.

But I have a little boat which I hope to get running this summer 12' aluminum with a 6h outboard. Maybe I can provide some.

But I do have one. My dad was fishing at Balsam Lake, near Woodvile, WI in 2005 and he landed a walleye which he described as the biggest walleye he'd ever seen, and that it looked deep and dark olive in color, like the muddy bottom of the lake.

He knew it was a trophy when he landed it, alone, in the boat. But he decided to keep fishing. So he put it on a metal clasp-type stringer and attached it to the boat and continued to fish.

It was fine until he began motoring home. He didn't know it came loose until he got to the dock. At that point, he was devastated--but he has a livewell which he never uses because he doesn't want to drain it or mess with it... and stores junk in.

He also should have come straight in, because later that week the newspaper noted that a walleye that the DNR estimated would have broken the state record, washed up on shore, slightly discolored but intact overall. It was attached to a metal stringer.

My dad is unlucky in fishing, but this was his own, sad doing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
And of course, then I got married, had children, and put all the fishing on hold.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! None of that is mutually exclusive to fishing, especially the children part! I caught a trophy-sized largemouth bass, all by myself, when I was 9. It was an exhausting battle, and made me truly appreciate the "life" part of wildlife. I started fishing when I could walk. You should take your girls fishing!!! Teach them catch and release. Yes, I let my big fish go (after taking a picture of me with it, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fishing for someone to draw me a meeple riding a catfish, but alas, not even a nibble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree on a need for more of anything regarding fish.

Point(s):
I don't like fishing for fish.
I don't like catching fish.
I don't like cleaning fish.
I don't like cooking fish.
I don't like eating fish.
I HATE the lingering aroma of cooked fish.

Counterpoint:
A live betta is kinda pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't like fishing, which I consider boring.
I do like catching fish, which enables me to do the "Top of the Food Chain" dance while chanting "Ha Ha I killed you and now I will eat you".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love fishing.

I suck at it, for sure, but I still love it.

I so rarely get out fishing, though.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I miss fishing.

Used to go quite regularly with a bunch of friends who, one by one, moved out of state. (This was not my fault.)

And of course, then I got married, had children, and put all the fishing on hold. But I swear, this year I'm gonna start fishing again.

Me too! In fact, just last weekend I vowed with all the vowiness I could muster that I would get out on the water again this year.

Usually I'm a catch-and-release fisherman, but one time we were actually camping as well as fishing, and so we had to catch our dinners. As luck would have it, I caught a beautiful brown trout, about a foot long. The problem was that I had only prepared myself for the catching part, not the keeping part. I didn't have a stringer or a basket. I would have liked to have left it by the side of the river to keep on fishing, but it still had a bit too much pep in it, and it might have flopped back in. I figured I'd just have to kill it.

Now, a buddy of mine had an instrument from Ireland commonly called a "priest." It's a wee little hammer, with a heavy end, the idea being that you conk the fish on the noggin and its soul goes to Heaven. I didn't have one of these, but I figured the noggin-conking idea was a good one. But how to do it? A shoe? My car keys? I didn't have anything heavy enough. I figured I would just have to whang its head on a rock. Unfortunately, fish being the slippery creatures they are, this was easier thought than accomplished. I had to grasp the fish firmly with both hands and kneel closely to the rock; if I took a big swing it would just slip loose and go flying backwards into the water.

So, if anyone happened to pass by at that moment, they would have seen me kneeling in front of a rock and gently bonking a fish's head against it. I don't think I would have made a very good mobster.

I'll never forget the death of that fish, though...my murder attempt didn't work, but it expired of natural causes as I grumpily tromped back to camp to deposit it there. For a long time it was still; I couldn't figure out if it was dead or alive. Then it died in my hand, and I immediately knew it. It was just limp, dead weight. Even if it wasn't moving before, there was something there, and it was gone now.

But I tell ya, that was the best-tasting fish I've ever had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
pdclose wrote:
I started fishing when I could walk. You should take your girls fishing!!!

Well, my kids aren't that old yet. But last Sunday the five year old...

Your five year old isn't walking yet???!!

Drew1365 wrote:
Which only reinforced my decision that We Are Going Fishing This Year!

With your girls, or at least one of them, I hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
We actually did a tiny bit of from-the-dock fishing last summer, and they caught a tiny little bluegill. But that was all. We need to do more.

I caught my first fish, around age 2, fishing from a small hill on the shoreline of a lake. I remember it clearly because my grandfather kept telling my dad that he shouldn't leave me alone with the rod, that he should be helping me fish, not be trying to do his own fishing this trip. My dad was poo-pooing that when all of a sudden I latched a good one that took off in a flash -- promptly dragging me off the "cliff" and into the water!

There was no way I was going to give up my brand new, shiny fishing rod to some !@#$!! fish!! It was only about 2 feet deep of water, but that's deep enough when you're only a couple feet tall yourself!

My grandfather high-tailed it down the hill, beating my dad by a couple seconds, and dove in after me, attempting to drag me to safety. But I wouldn't let go of the rod. So my dad grabbed the rod and reeled in the fish while my grandfather got me to safety.

I was very, very proud of that fish, even if I had to share the victory, and I sure got a lecture on fishing safety I'll never forget. Plus my dad never let me fish without supervision or a lifejacket ever again.

Drew1365 wrote:
Whichever one will get in the boat. They're big chickens.

Wait until they find out about the worms!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That's awesome!

I remember going fishing with my grandpa around age 5-6. The worms were my favorite part. (They still are.)

My dad took my 3-yr-old fishing last year. She loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
But I swear, this year I'm gonna start fishing again.

My husband's been saying that for years!

But, actually, we started fishing off the dock with the kids the last few years. Fishing with kids doesn't leave you much time to fish, you're too busy baiting hooks, untangling line, helping them cast, etc etc.

But your investment will pay off in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Glub glub blob glib blub glob. Lub dub glub blib glub blub. Bloop blub dub lub glub glub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any good fish thread needs pictures, else it's just a "fish story"! I can't find the one of me at age 9 with my trophy fish, my folks must still have it, but I did find this one of me at 14 proudly holding my freshly caught dinner:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I am fishing about two years ago.

I should be fishing this same area in about 3 1/2 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.