Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
It used to be you would get 6 month full access to the online game. After that you would still be able to play but not to start a game.
Now the timelimit is gone and you can download a standalone Mac/PC version that also plays offline!

EDIT: Before converting your account read the thread below, you might want to add some registration codes while you still can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just converted my account and I'm downloading now

Thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo-hoo! and assorted other train-like noises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Mousey wrote:
...you can download a standalone Mac/PC version that also plays offline!
Sounds great. Does it have an AI opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
It used to be you would get 6 month full access to the online game. After that you would still be able to play but not to start a game.
Now the timelimit is gone and you can download a standalone Mac/PC version that also plays offline!
A long time ago..... 1 or 2 years?......... Was gonna renew my subscription, but I kind of stopped playing waay before it expired. Got back into video games briefly. WHen it came time to renew, I spent much time on BSW. Now.... given how some of my games went IRL, I could use the practice. Otherwise, it's a fun way to experiment certain strategies and approaches.

I am wary, as installing the CD-ROM version of the game (that includes Switzerland and 1910) royally F!#$% up my PC, but I will confess other forces may have been at work then. I wonder if this "Offline version" is also the CD-ROM version of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, yes, it's an update 1.1 of the PC/Mac version (which was previously at 1.09). I've only played a couple of games, but I think the AI's are stronger in the new version.

By the way, the Memoir '44 scenario editor is now a stand-alone download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can somebody please post the "new features and info" pages they're talking about, and all the conversion info?

Nothing shows up if you don't have an account, and I don't want to create an account just to read the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was in the e-mail I received:

Beginning today, we're making some big changes in how you will pay for and play with Ticket to Ride Online. We are doing away with the time credit system that only gave you access to the game for limited time periods and replacing it with a very simple and straightforward model: You pay a one time fee and get permanent access to Ticket to Ride Online. We are also introducing many of the new features the players' community has been clamoring for these past few years.

Prices for Ticket to Ride Online are affordable - 9.99 for the original US map game and 4.99 for each additional map (Europe, Swiss) or variant (USA 1910). However, during a limited 3 months grace period, we will be crediting existing players for their past purchases. As a result, you most likely won't have to pay anything to keep your current playing rights - and it's quite possible you may earn some additional credits when you convert your account to the new system.

So if most existing players don't have to pay, why bother? Because we have bigger plans for the future. The cost to maintain and develop our online games requires that they be financially self-supporting. As a player you have already helped support the game with your past purchases. Now, guests who have never purchased any of our products; and new users as they join will be asked to pay these modest, one time fees too.

A Host of New Features
We've updated Ticket to Ride Online and added a host of new features that you've been asking for:

-All players can now play both the Web game or the Downloadable game (which features a new faster playing mode) with the higher resolution graphics, refined interface and non-networked solo play that were first introduced in the original CD-ROM / PC version.
-Enhanced Buddy and Ignore features - You will finally have the tools required to ignore anyone you don't care for, as well as prevent them from joining your games; Buddies are now also easier to keep track of and join.
-"Kick-out" any player prior to a game's start without losing Karma points
-Many More Game Creation options - choose the minimum and maximum number of players; let someone else than yourself start; set various observe options to your preference to prevent cheating.
-New Filters now make finding the specific types of open games you're looking for much easier in the lobby.
-Bots can now talk (or at least type)! Yes, they can. Try it and have fun!
-Lots of other minor tweaks and improvements have been made.

To learn more visit the Discovering Ticket to Ride Online page.

We've also made changes to simplify and improve your overall Days of Wonder Online experience. All of our community and personal profile tools have been tweaked and improved, and are now all accessible all the time, regardless of your player status (one of the benefits of no longer having to worry about time credits!). Visit the About Days of Wonder Online page to learn more.

Converting your Account
To access the new Ticket to Ride Online, you will first need to convert your account. It won't take long - we have set up the conversion process so that it pre-selects your options based on your prior purchases and usage (and yes, you will be given a chance to change them if you wish).

All the web cards you may have entered previously (even if they have expired since then!), the original CD-ROM / PC version game if you purchased it, and any other web card you may have received but not yet entered will let you accrue benefits under this new system. They will be worth points you can use to purchase our new online offerings during this conversion period.

But be sure to act now. You have only 3 months to add any web card in your possession to your account and then convert it to experience our new online offerings.

To convert your account, go to the Introducing Days of Wonder Online page.

Happy playing!
The Days of Wonder Online Team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So how does this affect people who bought a different game and still are in their 6 months free access? For example I bought Memoir 44 and have watched quite a few Ticket to ride games but never played any.

I just bought Ticket to ride but haven't entered the code for that yet as I was still within my 6 month free access with my Memoir 44 purchase.

Can I download Ticket to Ride also?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
netizen wrote:

So how does this affect people who bought a different game and still are in their 6 months free access? For example I bought Memoir 44 and have watched quite a few Ticket to ride games but never played any.

I just bought Ticket to ride but haven't entered the code for that yet as I was still within my 6 month free access with my Memoir 44 purchase.

Can I download Ticket to Ride also?

Thanks

You should enter your Ticket to Ride code before you convert your account. Then for every game entered you will get a number of points to buy different online features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Basically, yes, it's an update 1.1 of the PC/Mac version (which was previously at 1.09). I've only played a couple of games, but I think the AI's are stronger in the new version.

I bought this years ago.... on ebay. Hope I can still get credit for this. I do have several Days Of Wonder numbers still unused (hopefully they're still valid).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
umfpt wrote:
You should enter your Ticket to Ride code before you convert your account. Then for every game entered you will get a number of points to buy different online features.

Some (long) comments since that was unclear from the "new features" page as well -- that page says you're better off entering all product codes before you start the conversion, but there's no way to do this as you can't access your account without clicking the "Start the conversion" button. Turns out you have the chance to enter unused codes right after you click "Start the conversion".

The way the new system works (I assume it's the same with the Memoir '44 code you entered earlier although I haven't seen anything written about it -- I just noticed through conversion of my own account) is that you're given 10 "points" for each code you entered (regardless of whether you were done with your 6-month period or not), and those points can be used to unlock access to online games. TTR: USA, Gang of Four and the Memoir '44 editor cost 10 points each, while TTR: Europe, Swiss and the 1910 extension (all 3 games) cost 5 points each but must have the USA game unlocked first.

So if you had only one code entered in, you can still enter your TTR code in there, and you'll have 20 points to spread around, either to use the Memoir '44 editor + TTR: USA, or TTR: USA plus 2 of the 3 'extensions'. If you have only one game and have entered one code, you can unlock either the Memoir '44 editor or TTR: USA.

So these are 3 big changes:
1) you used to be able to be a guest and play unlimited games (couldn't start new ones, but could join) even if you didn't enter a code/it had expired. No longer true, guests are restricted to 4 TTR: USA games and that's it.
2) Guests/members could always join/start TTR: Europe games. Now registering only the TTR: Europe code gives you 10 points, which you need to use to unlock TTR: USA. So if you own only TTR: Europe, you can no longer play TTR: Europe online unless you either (1) own more games or (2) pay a small fee (see below).
3) Unlocked privileges (including starting new games) are unlocked forever, including starting new games. If you want to unlock new games you can pay $4.99 and it will basically give you 5 points, and the game unlocked will be so forever.

All this is from my experience: I had the TTR: USA code already registered and also had TTR: Europe, not registered to my account yet. I did that on the conversion page, that gave me 20 points, enough to unlock TTR: USA, TTR: Europe and TTR: Switzerland. I added $5 and that gave me access to all 1910 extension games (Big Cities, 1910, Mega Game).

I know some TTR: Europe lovers have already started complaining that they have to pay $5 extra to play TTR: Europe online while those who just want to play USA don't have to, but I like the new system better in that I have access forever and didn't have to pay the $20/year it used to cost, plus I can now start Switzerland and 1910 games online (not just through the downloadable software).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

I never played the PC game before but played the online bots. The bots on the downloadable software all have different strategies, including some that seem like the online DumbBots and DirectBots but others who seem to do all right, and one whose sole strategy is to go for the 5ers and 6ers, completely disregarding his own tickets. That's a nice addition I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I bought this years ago.... on ebay. Hope I can still get credit for this. I do have several Days Of Wonder numbers still unused (hopefully they're still valid).

Any DOW Web Access numbers, either already registered, expired or unregistered (that you add during conversion of your account) will earn credits that can be used to buy access to the new online features.

I do want to point out something that may have been missed. There is a 3 month transition period that allows players or those with web codes to enter them and convert them into game purchases. After 3 months, web codes can no longer be used to buy online games, maps or the Memoir '44 Editor and all new players will have to purchase them. After that, then Web card numbers will earn discount coupons from the web store.

Also, one other big difference is that we are doing away with the "time credit" (subscription) system, so now purchase gives you permanent access to the game - you just have to pay once.

Mark
Days of Wonder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going through the conversion process now and have an additional 105 points remaining. I have everything clicked and its requiring me to spend the rest on the 10% online credit. Does that sound right? I guess I can't save any points for future updates and purchases?

Too bad I can't combine the discount's to the online store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofthegrill wrote:
I'm going through the conversion process now and have an additional 105 points remaining. I have everything clicked and its requiring me to spend the rest on the 10% online credit. Does that sound right? I guess I can't save any points for future updates and purchases?

Too bad I can't combine the discount's to the online store

That's a lot of points - Thanks for your support of our games!

The answer is that no, you cannot save points for future purchases, so you should convert any extra points that you cannot use into the discount coupons. You'll be able to apply 2 coupons (up to 20% discount) on each future purchase in the store with them.

Mark
Days of Wonder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's a lot of points - Thanks for your support of our games!

The answer is that no, you cannot save points for future purchases, so you should convert any extra points that you cannot use into the discount coupons. You'll be able to apply 2 coupons (up to 20% discount) on each future purchase in the store with them.

Mark
Days of Wonder

You're welcome. Thanks for the response. I ended up with 10 discount coupons, I guess I'll be shopping in your web store - Thanks for the heads up on combining them.

I'm really looking forward to the Memoir 44' editor. I heard rumors that this may be a playable game in the future online. Or is that a rumor?

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August T
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I converted my account with original TtR code entered. Afterward, I added another code from Marklin and it gave me a discount code.
If I buy Europe later (within 3 month grace period), can I use the code to get access to Europe map or it will convert to discount coupon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofthegrill wrote:

I'm really looking forward to the Memoir 44' editor. I heard rumors that this may be a playable game in the future online. Or is that a rumor?

Ryan

I've heard rumors of an online Memoir '44 game too. It sounds like a great idea!

Mark
Days of Wonder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ategaw wrote:
I converted my account with original TtR code entered. Afterward, I added another code from Marklin and it gave me a discount code.
If I buy Europe later (within 3 month grace period), can I use the code to get access to Europe map or it will convert to discount coupon?

Even though there is a three month period to do the conversion, you can only convert your account once. We tried to be as explicit as possible in the conversion process that any codes entered after your conversion will only be added as discount coupons. So yes, if you add Europe now, it will earn you a discount coupon.

Mark
Days of Wonder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
I hadn't entered my TTR:E number because I was playing on the Memoir 44 number. Then I converted, found out I couldn't play TTR, and dug up the code on that manual. Turns out I can only use it for a 10% discount to purchase access to TTR.

I'm pretty disappointed this wasn't made clearer before I clicked convert otherwise I would have gone back and added the code so I could get the "grandfathered" access. I'm still stinging a bit that it seems inequitable how the bonuses for existing customers were pushed out, so I haven't purchased access to TTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info folks, it's making more sense now. Still a few questions.

Do these credits expire? If you make an account today and get a bunch of points, do you have 90 days to decide what to use those points on? Maybe if a future game comes out, etc?

Same question, do the 10% discount codes expire?

And all these work just fine for Canada?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, crap! I sold my codes in geek auction because I didn't want to start using a service that was only a free trial. I tried entering the codes I sold and it tells me they are registered under a different account. Anyone have a code or two they can spare? I will tip geekgold to anyone who sends me a code via geekmail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting changes....

I'll look forward to trying out the downloadable TtR - can I use it on my desktop AND laptop, or is it only useable on 1 machine?

(If anyone ends up not entering their codes during conversion and they are not able to be entered afterward, you have my sympathy....... can I have your wasted code?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Thanks for the info folks, it's making more sense now. Still a few questions.

Do these credits expire? If you make an account today and get a bunch of points, do you have 90 days to decide what to use those points on? Maybe if a future game comes out, etc?

Same question, do the 10% discount codes expire?

And all these work just fine for Canada?

You have 90 days to enter codes and convert them into points to get the various software that are currently available (ie T2R and its various maps currently available, Gang of Four, and the Memoir '44 scenario editor). Beyond that 90 day period, (and also at any time after you convert the codes on your account into points, since this conversion is a one time process only), all codes entered will automatically transform into discount coupons.

The 10% discount coupons won't expire (or at least not for the foreseeable future).

And fwiw, while we would love to be able to come with some new software in the next 90 days, that won't happen as we're already way too busy as it stands.

Hope this answers your questions.

eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.