Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My family is moving from Tempe, AZ to Fullerton, CA this summer. I'll have to say goodbye to Tempe's Game Depot, and I'm looking for a new FLGS home and possible local gaming groups. I looked up a couple of stores in that area, but they seem to have disappeared.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, either by PM or through this thread?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Tourville
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove. They have an outstanding selection of all kinds of games, including Euros, minis, wargames...

...man, I sound like a commercial. They're really that good, though. Check em out.

12188 Brookhurst St.
Garden Grove, CA 92840

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Stephan's recommendation. Brookhurst will be your closest, and it's a really excellent (and large) store. I haven't been there in a few years but they used to have an area for open gaming (3-4 large tables, miniature games going on mostly) that anyone could occupy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew, there USED to be one right down the street from Cal State Fullerton. It might have disappeared, but that would still be a primary target group area, and I would think that there would be something in that general area.

If not, there's a city (and college) named Claremont about 1/2 hour drive north of Fullerton with a gamestore (might be called Pegasus???) that a lot of people swear by.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome.

Check out the Socal Gamers LINK who cover a number of clubs & group in your area; look under Board Games. Also check out their Yahoo group to contact other gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
paracletus3 wrote:
Drew, there USED to be one right down the street from Cal State Fullerton. It might have disappeared, but that would still be a primary target group area, and I would think that there would be something in that general area.

If not, there's a city (and college) named Claremont about 1/2 hour drive north of Fullerton with a gamestore (might be called Pegasus???) that a lot of people swear by.

Good luck!

Gameology has just moved, in the last month, to a new and improved location in Montclair. I travel all the way from Ventura country to Gameology about once a month to game there with the SocalGamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
While SoCalGamers does sort of cover that area, check out www.ocbg.net for dedicated Orange County game groups and gaming.

As for game stores...Game Castle did close...but some of the employees opened another store near CSUF...I think it's called Pair Of Dice, or something like that.

edit: Yeah, it's the Dice House.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
There is a store called The Dice House on the corner of State College and Chapman in Fullerton. They do not have a big selection nor a standing "game night" but they say they are happy to let people come in and play in the store.

I am in Yorba Linda right next to Fullerton and I have two gaming buddies nearby (one in Fullerton) and we are kind of nomadic. We do not have a set game night but we are always trying to get something going. A few times a week, I drive through Fullerton on my way back to my office with a car full of games and can easily stop and play a game or two in the middle of the day.

Also, my gaming buddies are connected to a store-front theater in Fullerton. I notice that you studied theater. If you act on stage, I'm sure they can let you know about auditions and whatnot.

Geekmail me when you get into town, let's see if we can get something going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Southern California! Fullerton is nicely situated to visit the game groups in L.A., San Bernardino and Orange counties.

As Chris said, the OCBG and their North OC offshoots will be very convenient for you. Definitely get on the Yahoo groups for SoCalGamers (as Tim mentioned) and SoCalGamesday (www.socalgamesday.com) to get the news on the events. Every weekend there is good gaming if you don't mind a bit of a drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm glad I'll have a community when I get out to the OC!

I'll be in touch in a few months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Wilson
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also The Realm, in Brea- it's on Imperial Highway and Arovista. Friendly place, and lots of gaming space. Check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
I was thinking about this thread recently and wondering if you made it to Fullerton. Based on suggestions in this thread I have since visited Dice House in Fullerton and The Realm in Brea. Of these, The Realm looks like a great place for a boardgame group. They do not have one now as far as I can tell. I talked to someone who works there (maybe the owner) and he is very open to having a boardgame night there. They have a great selection of games for purchase (I have plenty to bring for playing) and they have nice big gaming tables.

Granted, it looks like their focus is table-top miniatures and CCG gaming, but they seem very open to increasing their boardgaming.

As for me, my no. 1 gaming buddy is moving out of state. So, I am left with a closet full of games and no one to play with. Getting out one night a week or every other week would be tough for me, but I really need to. I gotta get some Goo time and I gotta game.

Maybe we can get something started at The Realm.

Either way, you should check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

We did indeed complete the move to the OC and are preparing to begin the semester teaching at Cal State Fullerton.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have visited the Realm a few times and like it very much.

As soon as we get settled in the semester routine, I'll try to get some gaming happening. Sorry to fall off the radar for a bit.

Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.