Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Late in 2007 my father invited me to something that, through a comedy of errors, I had missed. It involved something to do with him and his then girlfriend. We were busy, oh so busy, and so we missed things. My father is never the most straight-talking of people, preferring to talk around anything. He asked me if I would mind it if he and his girlfriend would marry one day, what with me being his son and all. I tell him, "It's your life. You need to be happy, and do not listen to what anyone else in the family says. Besides which, she is a really sweet woman (and she's hot)." Time passes. He invites me to some kind of party. I misunderstand, as my Russian is quite rusty and having left at age 8 there were many phrases and idioms I never learned.

A couple of weeks after missing said event, while going to the cemetery for the eight year anniversery of my mom's death, I meet them there. He introduces his girlfriend as his wife. I do a double-take that would make a cartoon character envious. I turn to my girlfriend and she says, "Are you sure you did not misunderstand what he said when they invited us to something." My jaws hits the ground. Hard. I must have.

Now I hug them and wish them all the best.

I was an only child. Now I have a step-mother, who is one of the sweetest women alive and also a step-sister.

Now, when my father and his wife had been dating, they wanted me to aid in getting said step-sister-to-be to stay in the country via a temporary marriage. The girl is twelve years younger than me (and gorgeous enough to be a model). I was flattered, but I have a life. Also, my ethics would not allow me to do such a thing.

Times passed. There were bumps and bruises and whirlwinds and edies in all the relationships concerned. One of which involved my father's dislike for my step-sister's boyfriend, and my father acting like a peeved 2-year-old, which led to a divorce, and then a reconciliation (yay; did I mention that I adore my step-mom).

Today my step-sister, after numerous lawyers, and their various pounds of flesh, received her Green Card. She can stay in the country. She will not be deported to Russia, which would frighten me for her sake.

Next week, my girlfriend and I are going to a lawyer with my father and his wife. We are redoing his Will so as to protect my stepmom should anything happen to him. Right now everything would go to me. But, I am not a prig.

Early this year my father had a heart attack. He was divorced at the time. It took me coming over and taking care of him that insured he lived. When I dropped him off at the Hospital I was uncertain whether he would or not. Driving back home my thoughts were of worry, but also of all the financial burdens that I would have to deal with, including his house. One of the things I was certain of was that no matter what I would make sure that my at-the-time ex-step-mom would be taken care of.

It took my father's health to go sour to help him reconcile with his wife, and to also let my step-sister be who she is and make her own choices in life. (Just like it took my mother's death for me and my father to reconcile. We are stubborn lot, you see.)

What is this all about and what does it have to do with Chit-Chat? I don't know. But I needed to get it off my chest and this seems like the best place to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chit Chat is always a place to get things off your chest. I am glad things are looking up for you and your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quite a long haul for you guys... I wish you the all the best and the best for your fathers full recovery.

Russian women ARE hot!

just thought Id ad that in there so it wasnt all sad. cheers to and best wishes!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jeRm! wrote:
Chit Chat is always a place to get things off your chest.

Chit-chat is a mastectomy clinic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
Chit Chat is always a place to get things off your chest. I am glad things are looking up for you and your family.

Yeah, it's an odd little Misfit-Group-Therapy vibe we've got going on here, but it's definitely a subset of the madness and joy that is Chit Chat, and everybody's pretty wonderful about it.

Something very cathartic about releasing something into the ether, and then having these weird, but encouraging, little echoes come back to you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem Osiris, that's what we're here for..........

and thumbsthumbsup and kisses!!!

kiss kiss kiss kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Now I have a step-mother, who is one of the sweetest women alive and also a step-sister.

Wow. I mis-read this. Badly. I read the rest of the thread looking for and explanation of how she was both his step-mom and step-sister and wondering if that made him his own uncle.

Glad to hear things are being reconciled, Eddie. Better late than never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Osiris Ra wrote:
Now I have a step-mother, who is one of the sweetest women alive and also a step-sister.

Wow. I mis-read this. Badly. I read the rest of the thread looking for and explanation of how she was both his step-mom and step-sister and wondering if that made him his own uncle.

Glad to hear things are being reconciled, Eddie. Better late than never.

I left out the comma (here and in other sentences), then realized it as I re-read it. I do not like re-writing anything that comes from the heart as it feels "cheapened" somehow to me. Also, getting my thoughts out as a stream, rather than editing as I go, makes for a much better cathartic purge.

And, yes, that one sentence was the one that bothered me most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.