Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
My second post ever and both on the same day - my addiction is growing.

My wife and I have been now playing games for the past few months and she is gaining an interest.
She loves Agricola - animals, building, intense decision making
Carcassone - easy to learn, again building a picture (laying tiles) - likes the meeples - (she calls the builder a Chef due to the hat)
She dislikes Arkham - too long - not keen on the fantasy element
Lord of the Rings - confrontation - played one session - she liked it but I am not sure it will have the same staying power as Carcassone and Agricola.

Now I have my eye on LOADS of games I will entice her with over the coming months/years but I would not want to travel with these.

So we are planning on going away for two weeks and for the past few years we have taken travel scrabble with us and we end up either playing on beach, by pool or at the end of the evening playing over a few drinks - now I have introduced her to the wider world of board games, I am hopin to introduce her to another couple in our next holiday while we have this time together.

So am I looking at Travel Games (Travel Carcassone?) only or are there other Games that anyone would recommend?

The criteria is as follows:-
1. Must not be too big or heavy so we can still take her shoes on holiday with us - and not ending up paying for extra weight on airplane
2. Happy to take a game that will not be used on beach and by pool, would rather have something to relax in the evening with on balcony or in bar.
3. Small playing area required - not too many bits to the game
4. Creates a competition between us - she loves to beat me

I might come back and edit if I can think of any other criteria.

Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Roberts
United States
Lead
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I usually take Lost Cities, Balloon Cup and San Juan... they are card games that pack down quite nicely into a single box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:
Bohnanza
Battle Line
Bananagrams
Ingenious: Travel Edition
My wife packed a stiffer plastic makeup bag with about 20 card games for us to play on our trip last summer. We did not have much room or space as we were packing for a rustic tour in Costa Rica...but this worked perfectly...the cards all returned unscathed! We have compiled a list of possible travel games to take on trips...just take a peak at our profile page if you would like to see other suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually carry Hive, Lost Cities and also a pack of cards to play Gin Rummy on our trips. Ingenious: Travel Edition and Blokus Duo are also good options.

Have a good trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just got back from vacation where we took same games with us. I was able to fit Lost Cities, Battle Line and Blue Moon all in the Battle Line box (minus the boards, of course). We also took Hive in its own awesome carry bag.

As far as I'm concerned the Bakelite version of Hive may very well be the best travel game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
We're bringing two decks of cards (regular and italian decks), custom version of hive, micropul.

But there will be so much to do on the ship, we won't really have time to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for no games and just enjoy your time on holiday drinking and waking up in a stupor...BUT, since you want a game suggestion, I say bring Hive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218 is portable card game that is competitive while being short and not taking too much space
Fairy Tale is also a fun card game that is very replayable, competitive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo
Skip-Bo
Shuttles
SET
To Court the King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're going on vacation in May, I was thinking about this very thing, myself.

I'm planning on bringing:

1) Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - could be played on an seat-back tray on an airplane, and lasts only 30 minutes.
2) Fjords - not quite as small when played, light and quick-playing.
3) Hey, That's My Fish! - again, quick to play, and not a big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all - this is great - so many recommendations in so little time.

Now onto the next bit and research each of these. :D More reasons to come back to BGG.

And James Barnes - great profile page! Very good lists which I will now plough my way through.

There are a few recommendations for Hive. I have looked at this a few times previously and there is something about it that just does not grab me - but will re-visit the pages again to see what I am missing.

San Juan looks very interesting - and Lost Cities too........and Balloon Cup... and.... and...

Right, I am off to read up on these superb recommendations.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.