Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's get this out of the way: the worst thing about most Haba games is their English names. "Twiddle Turtle"? Is it a turtle who's twiddling his thumbs? Do turtles have thumbs? And if they do, are they opposable? Well, to bring it full-circle, I oppose the stupid English name of the game.

I do not, however, oppose the game. This game is an act of genius - and my hat is off (using my opposable thumb to grab it) to Herr Hofstatter for the brilliant design of the racing turtles at the 111th Turtle Olympiad.

I'm not sure my words can do the turtles justice. Imagine four small ball-shaped wooden wheels (on two axles) connected by a curved wooden yoke. Into that yoke fits a large wooden ball (the "shell") that makes contact with the four ball-wheels. When you roll back on the "shell", it propels the turtle forward.

Now, stick four of those turtles in a box, along with a double-sided board & some other bits (wooden goal posts, a small deck of animal tiles, a small foam ball, a weird four-sided color die, etc.) and a set of rules for five different games, and you've got Schildi Schildkröte. (BTW, I want to applaud Haba for a trend in their recent game designs - coming up with multiple ways to play games with some of the nifty "toys" they create.)

My older son's favorite game is "Turtle Soccer" while I'm partial to the dexterity game which requires you to move/roll your turtle to particular spots on the gameboard, based on which animal token is turned up. A similar game adds a simple memory element when you roll your turtle then try to match it with a face-down tile. The other two games are simple roll'n'move games that are easy enough for a 3 year old to play. We often play a series of games (just like the Olympics) and declare a winner based on how many "events" you win.

Of course, with bits this cool, it's fun just to play with them. It takes a minute or so to get the feel for how much spin to put on your turtle and then you can be whizzing him around the board like a pro. As far as we can tell, the pieces are well-constructed - our turtles have fallen off coffee & kitchen tables without breakage, though I wouldn't recommend it. It's also pretty easy to make up your own games.

The best rolling turtle game, however, is found in the sequel, Schildi Strandkröte (aka Twiddle Beach Turtle). "Turtle Bowling" is probably the most gamer-friendly of the Turtle Olympic events... it's dexterity & push your luck & skittles bowling... with a turtle! (You only get one turtle, though... sigh.)

This mini-review is a part of the Kid Games 100 ( http://akapastorguy.blogspot.com/search/label/Kid%20Games%20...) over on my blog, aka pastor guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:

I'm not sure my words can do the turtles justice. Imagine four small ball-shaped wooden wheels (on two axles) connected by a curved wooden yoke. Into that yoke fits a large wooden ball (the "shell") that makes contact with the four ball-wheels. When you roll back on the "shell", it propels the turtle forward.

A picture is worth a thousand words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joyce chan
msg tools
how is this compared to the original? if i have neither, which one should i get? both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Schildi Schildkrote IS the original... Strandkrote is the follow-up.

Both are playable on their own - you don't need one to use the other.

Strandkrote has a smaller box - but only one turtle. The bowling game is really good, though.

Schildkrote has a larger box & four turtles, as well as a larger board. For small kids, having your own turtle is pretty important.

I'm not sure what I'd do if forced to make a choice. Strandkrote is a bit cheaper & might be the better intro to see if you want both of them.

Either way, they're great kid games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.