Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a prototype that I think might have some legs. I know I probably won't be able to get it published professionally, but I'd be willing to give it out for free too. It's a card game.

I've only just started playtesting it, but my initial tests have gone remarkably smooth. Each player's first game was a little rough because I'm not the best at explaining rules, but they had fun even then and subsequent games went smoothly, played well, and the players genuinely seemed to enjoy themselves.

So I'm thinking of adding the game to BoardGameGeek, as I've seen other people add prototypes and free self-published games before.

My question is, 1: How do I do this and 2: Is there any etiquette involved? E.g. should I not add it unless I've already achieved Milestone X?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend either posting a print/play version or making an artscow version that people can print themselves with the current artscow deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
In the top bar, mouse over Misc, then click Add New Item. There is a link to add a game.

So, giving that help earns me the right to give my uninformed opinion, right? I think adding your game is fine, as long as it's playable. I don't mean it has to be good, just, there are enough rules and components to play to the end and somebody wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
In the top bar, mouse over Misc, then click Add New Item. There is a link to add a game.

So, giving that help earns me the right to give my uninformed opinion, right? I think adding your game is fine, as long as it's playable. I don't mean it has to be good, just, there are enough rules and components to play to the end and somebody wins.

This, and do not forget to post the rules in the filesection of the game ... (like some other guy here did at first )

edit: maybe this thread is of interest for you:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/394278
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
As Greg indicated, adding the game is simple enough, but a word of caution. Not trying to stifle your creativity here but -

Before you post the game, and yourself as a game designer:

1. Achieve at least dozens of playtests by people who you don't know.

2. Have all the rules completely worked out, tuned, and available for download.

3. Make sure that you either provide the components files for people to DIY, or have suggestions as to how they can crib together a kit using simple objects that are not too difficult to find.

4. Consider posting a few session reports so people can see how the games flows.

5. Grow a thick skin immediately,

The surest way to frustration and failure is to post something prematurely. Having a great idea isn't good enough. There are many amateur and professional designers on this site. Seek their guidance, and listen to what they say. They are wise. Here's a homework assignment for you:Study this amateur designer made good:

Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He can be your role model. Study the evolution of Zombie in my Pocket (ZIMP)

Good luck with the project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also be sure to include as much information as possible about your game when submitting it. A good description, plus the designer's name, minimum and maximum players, etc.

I've seen a few prototype games entered into the BGG system with absolutely no information, and it makes nerds like my Google for hours in order to locate information to help fill out the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
My opinion is that if you've never witnessed a smooth play without having to open your mouth, it's not ready for the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
List the game when you have a signed publication contract in-hand or wait for one of the game's fans to create the listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the advice everyone. I'm going to hold off adding the game for the moment, but I've posted the rules in this forum at http://bgg.cc/thread/397415 and will be posting a PDF of the cards later this evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Thank you for the advice everyone. I'm going to hold off adding the game for the moment, but I've posted the rules in this forum at http://bgg.cc/thread/397415 and will be posting a PDF of the cards later this evening.

Why does that look like a spoof site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgg.cc is an alternate to boardgamegeek.com which is easier to type. Since that's what I typed and I just copied the URL from my address bar, that's what was pasted.

If you're really that worried, here's a link with boardgamegeek.com:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/397415
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
bgg.cc is an alternate to boardgamegeek.com which is easier to type. Since that's what I typed and I just copied the URL from my address bar, that's what was pasted.

If you're really that worried, here's a link with boardgamegeek.com:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/397415

It prompted for login data when I was already logged in, hence the reason for the consternation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a security measure with your browser. Your login information is stored in a cookie, and cookies are tied to domain names (that way, for example, google.com can't access your cookies from yahoo.com). Since you usually browse on boardgamegeek.com, you only have the cookie set there. Although bgg.cc and boardgamegeek.com have the same server and are literally the same site, there's no way for the browser to know that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.